Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2024, 05:44   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Fuel injected Tohatsu 15HP for Dinghy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Just an update on my Tohatsu 15hp. It's dead. I got to the Bahamas and the Fuel pump diaphragm failed and filled the crankcase with gasoline. We managed to barely get back to the boat. The POS did not even make 2.5 years. I probably have less than 100 hours on it. I'm going to try to get a fuel pump sent in and hope that and an oil change will revive it. It's likely that there is some damage to the rings and cylinders.
Unless it ran for quite a while with fuel diluted oil, I expect it'll run fine with fresh oil and a new fuel pump. Maybe a little extra wear somewhere, but probably nothing noticeable.

In general, for any engine with a mechanical diaphragm fuel pump (whether it's gas or a mechanical lift pump on a diesel) it's a good idea to check the oil regularly, and if you ever notice the oil level rising, suspect a fuel pump issue. Pretty much every engine mounted mechanical diaphragm pump is capable of putting fuel in the oil via one of its failure modes.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2024, 20:33   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5

15 hp tohatsun weighs the same as a 9.9
embibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 05:40   #18

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by embibb View Post
15 hp tohatsun weighs the same as a 9.9
For the 4 strokes, yes, but they also make the 9.8 that's significantly lighter (as it's a smaller engine). And they did just introduce an EFI version of the 8/9.8, so there's a lighter weight EFI option now.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 06:19   #19

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Suzuki was the first to bring battery-less EFI to small outboards. I think around 2012 or so. Long track record that seems very good overall. Suzuki also has lean burn for even better fuel economy. Suzuki also includes a water seperating fuel filter in the box.

Tohatsu recently introduced an even lighter 15 EFI. A couple pounds lighter than the Suzuki. We have the Suzuki DF20AS and so far it has been perfect. No regrets. I'm in the"never buy another carb in my life" camp.
Old 09-04-2024, 06:35   #20

Boat: St Francis MKII 50'

I have had the 20hp Tohatsu EFI for about 4 years now. It was about 1 yr old when I bought it (and the dinghy). It has been a good engine for most of that time. Good fuel efficiency. Decent power. So, I would generally recommend it.

I have had a couple of issues, noted below, including a fuel pump failure and a failed lift motor. But, overall, it has been better than I anticipated.

There are some things to consider relating to getting parts and good service when in the islands and to doing your own service.

For doing your own service, the motor has a 10lbs of "stuff" in a 5 lb package that generally make it kind of irritating to work on several parts of it. For example, I have developed a very small fuel leak somewhere. It should be an easy fix, once I remove a ton of components to get a good view of the lines, clamps, etc.

That said, the fuel injectors and the fuel pump are pretty accessible.

As a comparison, I also have an almost new Yamaha 15 Enduro. When I have to do something with it, I realize just how much easier it is to work on. KISS principle works here.

Generally speaking, replacement parts tend to be kind of expensive. A replacement fuel pump can be spendy, especially down here in the southern Caribbean. (Well over $200 here). The fuel pump for the simpler Yamaha is a lot less expensive. To adapt, I eventually decided to go very heavy on my spares. Fuel injectors, gaskets, pump, etc.

Third, if you get the power lift (which you don't really need, but, it is very nice to have), the lift motor is mounted at the lower end of the assembly. It gets a lot of exposure and tends to rust out. In the newer motors, it is hard to get just the parts you want (e.g., the outer cover). Instead, they supply the whole assembly. That is expensive. Also, I will have to use EZ Outs on the bolts once my new motor arrives.

Fourth, if you are in places like here in the Windwards and Leewards, there are Yamaha mechanics and parts everywhere, on almost any island in almost any reasonable port.

Not the case with Tohatsu. There are several Tohatsu/Suzuki/Mercury people around, but not a lot who are very good. And, even in Martinique, I had to order the replacement fuel pump and it took weeks. (I know of a really good guy in Grenada, but haven't been impressed with others I have seen in this area). So, if you are going to remote places, you should not count too much on readily available, good mechanic support.

I know this sounds a bit negative. But, I actually like the motor pretty well. These items partly come up because Yamaha (two strokes) are so dominant here that they dominate parts and service availability. I think that will change as the Tohatsu family gets more widespread.

Also, if you plan to cruise in the US or the Bahamas or the Northwest, a lot of this goes away. I had no problem getting parts and good service in Florida. This becomes even more persuasive because you can't really buy a new 2 stroke Yamaha in the US.
catalystcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 15:04   #21

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

It's been an interesting experience with the Tohatsu. Since I posted about my fuel pump failure I have had 4 separate reports of the same problem and now another one here. I'm guessing Tohatsu has a serious problem with their fuel pumps. I got an OEM replacement from the states for $63, but by the time I got it shipped to the Bahamas it cost me about $400. Changing the pump was only a 10 minute job followed by a new filter and oil. My recommendation is that anyone who owns one of these Tohatsus should never leave home without a spare fuel pump, oil and filter. I am going to write Tohatsu and complain but I doubt it will do me any good. It's supposed to have a 5 year warranty but it doesn't do you any good in the Bahamas and probably anywhere else in a country other than the one you bought it in.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 04:25   #22

Boat: Tartan 40

Thanks Capn Bill!
6 years on mine so far- and will order a fuel pump to carry as a spare.
Easy field replacement if needed?
malbert73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 13:24   #23

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Thanks Capn Bill!
6 years on mine so far- and will order a fuel pump to carry as a spare.
Easy field replacement if needed?

You do have to open the lower cowl to get to the bottom bolt but once that is loose (you don't have to take it all the way off) it's just two 10mm bolts and two hose clamps. Make sure the oil is drained first. There is a o-ring seal that does not come with the new pump that you need to transfer to the new one or buy that too and keep it with the spare pump. I had to do reuse mine which is something I really don't like to do.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 20:51   #24

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalystcat View Post
Not the case with Tohatsu. There are several Tohatsu/Suzuki/Mercury people around, but not a lot who are very good. And, even in Martinique, I had to order the replacement fuel pump and it took weeks. (I know of a really good guy in Grenada, but haven't been impressed with others I have seen in this area). So, if you are going to remote places, you should not count too much on readily available, good mechanic support.
I've had very good luck with full Tohatsu repairs and service at Budget Marine in Sint Marteen. They have a huge selection of parts and will get them to any Budget Marine in the Caribbean in a few days.

The only real issue we have experienced with our 2021 20HP EFI Tohatsu was a bad electric starter solenoid - we have an electric start / electric lift and its awesome. Even without the electric start its very easy to start with a pull cord. We get yearly service at BM.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2024, 22:57   #25

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalystcat View Post
I have had the 20hp Tohatsu EFI for about 4 years now. It was about 1 yr old when I bought it (and the dinghy). It has been a good engine for most of that time. Good fuel efficiency. Decent power. So, I would generally recommend it.

I have had a couple of issues, noted below, including a fuel pump failure and a failed lift motor. But, overall, it has been better than I anticipated.

There are some things to consider relating to getting parts and good service when in the islands and to doing your own service.

For doing your own service, the motor has a 10lbs of "stuff" in a 5 lb package that generally make it kind of irritating to work on several parts of it. For example, I have developed a very small fuel leak somewhere. It should be an easy fix, once I remove a ton of components to get a good view of the lines, clamps, etc.

That said, the fuel injectors and the fuel pump are pretty accessible.

As a comparison, I also have an almost new Yamaha 15 Enduro. When I have to do something with it, I realize just how much easier it is to work on. KISS principle works here.

Generally speaking, replacement parts tend to be kind of expensive. A replacement fuel pump can be spendy, especially down here in the southern Caribbean. (Well over $200 here). The fuel pump for the simpler Yamaha is a lot less expensive. To adapt, I eventually decided to go very heavy on my spares. Fuel injectors, gaskets, pump, etc.

Third, if you get the power lift (which you don't really need, but, it is very nice to have), the lift motor is mounted at the lower end of the assembly. It gets a lot of exposure and tends to rust out. In the newer motors, it is hard to get just the parts you want (e.g., the outer cover). Instead, they supply the whole assembly. That is expensive. Also, I will have to use EZ Outs on the bolts once my new motor arrives.

Fourth, if you are in places like here in the Windwards and Leewards, there are Yamaha mechanics and parts everywhere, on almost any island in almost any reasonable port.

I know this sounds a bit negative. But, I actually like the motor pretty well. These items partly come up because Yamaha (two strokes) are so dominant here that they dominate parts and service availability. I think that will change as the Tohatsu family gets more widespread.

Also, if you plan to cruise in the US or the Bahamas or the Northwest, a lot of this goes away. I had no problem getting parts and good service in Florida. This becomes even more persuasive because you can't really buy a new 2 stroke Yamaha in the US.
Just a little sidenote, Yamaha has great motors, but overcharges spares extremely at the edge of indecency.

I bought perfectly good, identical carburetors for our 9.9's at Alibaba for 25€ a piece. Official quoted carbs from Yamaha were over 400€ a piece. CDI unit about 45€ @Alibaba, over 200€@Yamaha.

I understand that Yamaha had to develop the engines, but these prices can not be justified by that.

One more, in remote places like Tunisia 2Strokes are still king, because they are so simple. You will find mechanics and parts for 2Strokes in most places. Be it Yamaha or Tohatsu.

The 9.8 Tohatsu 2stroke is hugely popular with fishermen, and, there must be a reason for it, apart from an awesome power to weight ratio.
Franziska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 15:19   #26

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
The 9.8 Tohatsu 2stroke is hugely popular with fishermen, and, there must be a reason for it, apart from an awesome power to weight ratio.
100% agree on that, for me the holy grale of outboards. Always say billions of Asian fisherman cannot be wrong…, they either run the 9.8 Tohatsu or the 15hp Yamaha 2-Stroke. Same for rescue boats smaller the 9.8 or 15hp, bigger the Yamaha 30 or 40hp 2-stroke.
The 9.9hp Yamahas are well known as high torque reliable outboards for cats.

Compared to a Honda BF15 hp the 9.8 Tohatsu planes my Highfield ultralight 340 earlier and topspeed is identical.
Tohatsu is 26kg, 15hp Yamaha 33kg…to lift every kilo counts and I can do 26kg well, 33kg not anymore so the Tohatsu won.
the Honda BF15 was whooping 54kg…
ul340 is 43kg + 26kg 9.8+ 15l outboard tank means I am at total 85kg for a 340cm dingy capable of going distance at open sea to eg dive ground. And have 85kg hanging at the Davits, good for a cat thats only 8.5t fully loaded with lifeaboard gear.
and the Tohatsu starts first pull always, superreliable, runs even after submerged and uses less fuel. Plus it’s super simple and easy to fix which I had to do once so far because of really dirty old fuel…only disadvantage it’s louder…no issue for me
CaptainRivet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2024, 22:46   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Thank you so much, Captain Bill, for highlighting the fuel pump issue with Tohatsu. I just ordered a one to add to my spares collection. I just thought how screwed I would be without my dinghy motor.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel