Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2023, 16:10   #1

Dropping passenger off in France for Medical, question on customs

Hello all,

Long time lurker. We are cruisers in the med. Had someone come down sick and they need to get off in France because it is our closest port. We are not currently checked into the EU and the problem is we have a dog so we can not check into France at the moment due to their strict policy. How should we go about coming to port? Do we need to declare a medical emergency in order to be allowed? (it is not life and death just very unpleasant for person on board and would feel better if they went to a clinic). Ideally we would drop them off at port and keep sailing immediately after, not having checked in us and our boat. What is our course of action? thanks. Apologies if this is is talked about before and I couldnt find it in the search bar. I also posted in General Sailing.
questionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 18:16   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Dropping passenger off in France for Medical, question on customs

What you are thinking of happens in Florida. Dropping someone off without clearing in is not appreciated. It is often considered human smuggling. It is also important to understand, if this person is a “passenger” are they paying to be aboard? Or are they crew?

As you are asking how to do this in a public forum would indicate you did not know this.

Suggest you find a port you can legally enter and disembark the crew at that location.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 18:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
What you are thinking of happens in Florida. Dropping someone off without clearing in is not appreciated. It is often considered human smuggling. It is also important to understand, if this person is a “passenger” are they paying to be aboard? Or are they crew?

As you are asking how to do this in a public forum would indicate you did not know this.

Suggest you find a port you can legally enter and disembark the crew at that location.
I think you misunderstood the situation or I didn't do a good job explaining.

All passengers/crew etc. can clear in, and will if needed. And the passenger leaving for a clinic will of course. The issue is the port in particular does not clear pets, and other ports will be visited later for that. Can we declare port of refuge for a medical situation? Can we all clear customs while dog stays on boat in the EU? (this has worked in many non-eu countries). Just unfamiliar with the EU law for this and have limited internet. Thanks
Old 13-06-2023, 18:46   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Dropping passenger off in France for Medical, question on customs

Knowing which part of France you are makes a difference, some ports on the Brittany coast you can enter and drop the hook, fly the Q flag then dinghy ashore with your sick crew, a crew list and passports.
Clear everyone and the boat in, get your afflicted away to a hospital/whatever in a taxi/ambulance then clear out and leave.. no need for anyone else or your pet to step ashore.
If an Anchorage is not available then radio in on one of these
Channels 24, 26-27, 85: Ship-to-shore communications for the French Coastguard, explain the situation (disembark sick crew) and they will advise/supervise the excercise.
Don't try winging it, the French can be sticklers and hate feeling played.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2023, 20:12   #5

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Give him a trench coat to wear, along with a "Letter of Transit" and row him ashore on a dark night.
Sorry, I've been watching Casablanca.
Old 13-06-2023, 23:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Knowing which part of France you are makes a difference, some ports on the Brittany coast you can enter and drop the hook, fly the Q flag then dinghy ashore with your sick crew, a crew list and passports.
Clear everyone and the boat in, get your afflicted away to a hospital/whatever in a taxi/ambulance then clear out and leave.. no need for anyone else or your pet to step ashore.
If an Anchorage is not available then radio in on one of these
Channels 24, 26-27, 85: Ship-to-shore communications for the French Coastguard, explain the situation (disembark sick crew) and they will advise/supervise the excercise.
Don't try winging it, the French can be sticklers and hate feeling played.
Hello thank you this is helpful. I’m one of the crew on this vessel at the moment. We’re headed for Brest (which doesn’t allow pet check in) but intended to head straight for A Coruña until we got a very sick member of crew, if you have any specific recommendations for Brest?
Cruisingmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2023, 04:00   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would call in on VHF and advise the CG of the situation stating your desire/need to disembark a sick crew member while remaining 'in transit' if possible.
If not possible please advise on course of action.
If they have a heads up on your situation hopefully arrangements can/will be made to deal with the situation to everyone's satisfaction.
A mooring buoy location to proceed to, a fuel Dock you can go alongside to offload your invalid with official supervision.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 14-06-2023, 04:45   #8

Boat: no boat any more

"...We are cruisers in the med. ."
further down a crewmember:
"...I’m one of the crew on this vessel at the moment. We’re headed for Brest..."

Navigation course needed!
Old 14-06-2023, 05:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

What puzzles me is the concern over the pet..
La Coruña will present the same problems if you do not have an EU pet passport. If you do have one it's straightforward enter, deposit invalid and leave without letting pet ashore.
Or.. is this more about ways of possibly entering without starting your 90 day clock in the EU.

Old 15-06-2023, 13:14   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
What puzzles me is the concern over the pet..
La Coruña will present the same problems if you do not have an EU pet passport. If you do have one it's straightforward enter, deposit invalid and leave without letting pet ashore.
Or.. is this more about ways of possibly entering without starting your 90 day clock in the EU.
The concern was Brest is not listed as a port of entry that can process pets while La Coruña is. Thank you all for the help. Customs and CG were able to accommodate for our needs and clear in at Brest. They were very helpful, professional and welcoming. It was not based on concern about the 90 day clock, that just is what it is.
Old 15-06-2023, 14:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionman View Post
The concern was Brest is not listed as a port of entry that can process pets while La Coruña is. Thank you all for the help. Customs and CG were able to accommodate for our needs and clear in at Brest. They were very helpful, professional and welcoming. It was not based on concern about the 90 day clock, that just is what it is.
Glad to hear it went smoothly, hope your crew recovers and it's nothing too serious..
Bon Voyage..

Tags
cal, customs, France, med, medical