Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 14:10   #31
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Cruising plans moved forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by montigre View Post

What were the other 1/2..? My guess, older classic plastic cruiser/racers like I am considering.
most of the others were cats and expensive boats, very few of what you call classic cruiser/racers (most of those seem to be the Canadians)

I wasted my time and money with my first boat because I accepted what type of boat I needed

get what you what, but stop asking for permission to do so
Old 01-05-2017, 14:58   #32

There are so many different choices on boats out there that there is no right way to approach which would be best for you, every one of them is a compromise in one way or the other. Obviously a lot depends on how your going to use it but keep in mind that many people change their minds once they actually go cruising so keep an open mind. There is no question that some boats are simply built better and stronger than others but it's also true that boats like Catalina 27's have sailed around the world so unless your going to be a world cruiser most any boat will do the job as long as you do your part and get lucky with the weather. Judge the boat on how it's been maintained and upgraded, there are 25 year old boats out there that are in much better condition than many 7-10 year old boats so take your time, learn as much as you can, recognize that almost all owners will be bias towards the choices they made. It's lots of fun preparing yourself to make these decisions, don't let others sway you too much as buying a boat is not much different than choosing a mate...everyone makes different choices for different reasons, good luck.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 15:20   #33
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
because that's what forum mind think says you are suppose to do, waste time and money doing "fix it up"
Agreed

Less time sailing, more time on the internet and fixing.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 15:38   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Good day, montigre.

Welcome back aboard CF.

Actually, I don't think you "need" that big a boat. Take a look at an old Yankee 30--Jim and i sailed one from SF to HI and return. Then look at a Crealock 34. I think that Crealock would do the job for you and your kitties. The Yankee was a very sweet sailing boat, designed by S & S.

Once, a while back, someone started a thread here about what boat would you want to singlehand as an older person, and my experience with aging is that I have not increased in strength. Personally, I would look no larger than 36-37 ft. I would need a simple boat because electronics are not my strong suit. If you happen not to be tall, check all the boats you look at to see that you can comfortably set the pole, to fly a chute or pole out a jib. I cannot do this on this boat, and it is a source of frustration to me. On an older boat, I"d consider upgrading the winches, it will be easier on your shoulders, long time.

Someone above mentioned Allstate insurance. That was all we had when we were in the States. Now, we carry third party ins. When you go to Europe, you will need some offshore coverage, but term insurance will be available there when you arrive--and that's a long time off, and *things* will change.

*Stuff*: if you can afford it, store keepsakes; if not, auction them off, so whoever will treasure them can enjoy them. You will be turning loose of objects associated with meaningful times in your history. Give yourself time to process your emotions, warrior princess, it leaves you stronger.

Off you go, now, live long and prosper.

Ann
Old 01-05-2017, 16:28   #35

Boat: Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39

G'day, Ann,
You pretty much wrapped up my initial questions in your very nice and informative post. Thank you. The PS34 has always been one of my favorites and I had actually forgotten what it's interior was like. It would be perfect for me and my kitties; and the price for one gently used is now within my budget where it was not 10 years ago..

Soooo, I have gotten a lot of ribbing in this thread....lol and even more useful information and I thank everyone for their input. Now I can concentrate getting my current boat back into the water (t minus 5 weeks now if all goes as planned.....) and start getting my skills back.

Again, thanks, All!!
montigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 20:32   #36

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
That statement must be based on a very limited sample.

No tax payable on second hand boats in quite a few countries including here and Australia where I bought my current boat (neither on purchase nor annually). No annual registration fees here either.

The poster is in MD and there is both tax and registration there.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:06   #37

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

[QUOTE=montigre;2383184] [B] And then, there were those who were so deep in refurbishing their dream boat, that they would never be able to leave dry dock.

When we were in Miami there were probably 8 boats getting ready to leave and that was 10 years ago and all but one is probably still there. We can not count the number of people we met when we sailed the ec of the usa who told us as soon as the boat is ready they will be off. We knew they would never leave - it is not getting the boat ready it is cutting the dock lines that is the problem and the "courage" to do that and saying the boat is not ready is just an excuse.

So, should I consider the Catalinas and Benes as good cruising boats now? Or should I look more to some of the French makers of modern mass-produced boats? What, in my current thinking may come back to bite me?

We sail a Jeanneau DS40 and I have single handed her from Miami to Mass and back. And she is go anywhere boat - we just did a circum nav of the Black Sea and probably the only boat to do it a few years. We have been on her for 10 years and a lot of miles on her and she is quite comfortable.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 01:11   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by montigre View Post
As to size, this is just a guesstimation on my part as I am trying to imagine hoisting a large main on a 40+ footer with arthritic joints. I'm no longer the warrior princess I was when I was in my 40s, so I figured something in the 35-37' range would allow me and my cats a little privacy while still being relatively easy and safe to sail. This not from reading, but from introspection.

Interesting - not sure how old you are but we did a 2 handed Atlantic crossing at age 68 and 66. And we did not even take our first sailing lesson until we were 58-56. Now at 72-70 we just finished a 2,600nm sailing season and looking forward to about that this summer. And we still have another Atlantic crossing coming up in a couple of years. OH - we sail a Jeanneau DS40 -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 03:48   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
[/COLOR]

Interesting - not sure how old you are but we did a 2 handed Atlantic crossing at age 68 and 66. And we did not even take our first sailing lesson until we were 58-56. Now at 72-70 we just finished a 2,600nm sailing season and looking forward to about that this summer. And we still have another Atlantic crossing coming up in a couple of years. OH - we sail a Jeanneau DS40 -
I just turned 60 and if I had a partner who could share in the sailing responsibilities, I would feel better about choosing a larger boat just for the additional space it would afford. However, as a solo sailor, I have to think in very practical terms, and 35-37' is my personal comfort level when dealing with issues in less than perfect conditions.

Plus, it will cost less to dock when at marinas and for general maintenance. Some people in NYC and Tokyo live in smaller spaces than what I'm planning on while on the land....
Old 02-05-2017, 03:50   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
The poster is in MD and there is both tax and registration there.
Don't remind me...those blood sucking parasites.
Old 14-05-2017, 11:51   #41

Well, I went to a local brokerage to look at a B 35.5 they had there and when speaking with the broker was informed that the owner of that boat was removing it to a different brokerage and that I should look at some of the other boats they had there. I let him know what I was looking for and he suggested I look at a boat that had just been delivered that week.

Well, I made arrangements to check out the inventory and was guided to both the Bristol that had not left the brokerage and the new arrival, a Pearson 39. I did a walk around the Bristol and discovered it to be in pretty rough shape--since I already had a project boat, I decided to pass on that one and went over to look at the Pearson. This was a much larger boat than I had been considering, but since I was already there, there was nothing to lose.

After walking the decks and spending about a hour below checking the layout and amenities against my must have list, I discovered all of the must haves were checked and a few would like to haves were also marked off. I stuck my head out of the companionway and told the broker that this was the one.

Survey was yesterday and the boat passed with flying colors in the pouring rain--no leaks, no project with this 44 year-old hull--all the electronics worked and amenities were smartly applied. This is a turn key cruiser that was purchased for a fraction of what the 35.5 was listed for. I feel so lucky to have gone when I did as a couple looked at the boat the day I put a deposit down and was also ready to purchase her.

Just have to go through closing and transfer of the USCG documentation papers and the deal is done--needless to say, I am on cloud nine!! It will be fun to get her in the water and see what she can do.

Old 14-05-2017, 14:26   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

[QUOTE=montigre;2393021]Well, I went to a local brokerage to look at a B 35.5 they had there and when speaking with the broker was informed that the owner of that boat was removing it to a different brokerage and that I should look at some of the other boats they had there. I let him know what I was looking for and he suggested I look at a boat that had just been delivered that week.

Well, I made arrangements to check out the inventory and was guided to both the Bristol that had not left the brokerage and the new arrival, a Pearson 39. I did a walk around the Bristol and discovered it to be in pretty rough shape--since I already had a project boat, I decided to pass on that one and went over to look at the Pearson. This was a much larger boat than I had been considering, but since I was already there, there was nothing to lose.

After walking the decks and spending about a hour below checking the layout and amenities against my must have list, I discovered all of the must haves were checked and a few would like to haves were also marked off. I stuck my head out of the companionway and told the broker that this was the one.

Survey was yesterday and the boat passed with flying colors in the pouring rain--no leaks, no project with this 44 year-old hull--all the electronics worked and amenities were smartly applied. This is a turn key cruiser that was purchased for a fraction of what the 35.5 was listed for. I feel so lucky to have gone when I did as a couple looked at the boat the day I put a deposit down and was also ready to purchase her.

Just have to go through closing and transfer of the USCG documentation papers and the deal is done--needless to say, I am on cloud nine!! It will be fun to get her in the water and see what she can do.

OH, well done mate! Sometimes fortune smiles upon us and we are in the right place at the right time. Enjoy your new love!

Jim
Old 14-05-2017, 14:40   #43
cruiser

I googled "pearson 39" to see what you purchased, and this was one of the images that came up.

Is this the right model?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1119.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	147799  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 15:01   #44

LOL.....naw, she's not my type.....haha!
Old 14-05-2017, 16:34   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I googled "pearson 39" to see what you purchased, and this was one of the images that came up.

Is this the right model?
That's Kayleigh Pearson. She's the English model.
(But she sure doesn't look like a "39")
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising