Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2017, 09:50   #1

Boat: Cutter-Rigged Pearson 39
Cruising plans moved forward

I just purchased a Bristol 28 (small interior, but safe and comfortable under sail) with the aim of becoming comfortable single handling and in 6 years purchasing my full-time cruising boat.

Well, I just found out yesterday that my all utilities paid rental will not be available to me when I retire in 6 years, so I will have to have my cruising boat in hand by year 4 1/2- 5. With the average price for well-equipped, nicely maintained 35.5s being around 47,000, that would leave me with about 65000 for upgrades and savings. I plan to live on my govt. pensions which should be more than enough.

I am currently strongly considering the Bristol 35.5 (keel not centerboard) as I do not want to become "over boated" should the weather turn bad or in tricky anchorages. Additionally, my only passengers will be my 2 cats.

I plan to live and cruise on the boat as a snow-bird--cruising north in the summer and south in the winter with at least one eventual trip to the Mediterranean over the course of my remaining sailing life. I am a former nurse so am comfortable with medical emergencies, both human and animal.

What have others done to prepare when this close to breaking the land lines? When do you start seriously looking at boats? What about vehicle storage? Do you use scooters and if so, how do you stow them so they do not get drenched? Are means of self-protection allowed on-board? what else am I leaving out here? Thanks!!
montigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 10:55   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Cruising plans moved forward

Just go, there are stores everywhere to get stuff once you know you need it. Btw 35 ft isn't anywhere near "ocr boated"
Old 29-04-2017, 12:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No, but 35 may be a good place for a pensioner to be, and I think it's plenty of room for one person
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2017, 12:26   #4

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I'm on 37 ft and it is perfect. Three cabins, one for me, one for my occasional guest and one to throw the mess in when they arrive.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-04-2017, 12:32   #5

That's what I was thinking. If I were in my 40s or if I had another person to crew, I may have considered something a little larger, but my intent is to see some places I have not yet seen and to get there in my boat. I stood on the decks of a 38 foot Seafarer once and she was quite intimidating due to her size.

What types of insurances you you carry for international sailing? What about the other questions I asked?
Old 29-04-2017, 20:56   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I see these as the "other questions" that you were asking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montigre View Post
What have others done to prepare when this close to breaking the land lines? When do you start seriously looking at boats? What about vehicle storage? Do you use scooters and if so, how do you stow them so they do not get drenched? Are means of self-protection allowed on-board? what else am I leaving out here? Thanks!!
I don't know much about "breaking land lines". I don't think we ever had any.
My wife and I started seriously looking for boats before we were married and bought one two years later in 1971,- 'moved aboard in '72.

We spent 15 years cruising without a vehicle after fully retiring in 2002. Our transportation from our anchored or docked boat was by dinghy on davits, kayaks on deck, folding bikes stored below or public transport in ports.
We did sometimes rent a car and this was less expensive than storing a car that was too far away to be useful.

We made a dozen trips from Florida/Bahamas to as far as Maine. We were traveling with the "snow birds", but we were actually "hurricane birds".

Oh, and the self protection on board,- well, we kept our wits about us, but other resources are an option.
Old 29-04-2017, 21:14   #7
cruiser

Spend more time in Europe. As a Registered Nurse (like us), you can always leave the boat in Europe (much cheaper than the US) and take a traveling nurse job back in the US if money gets tight. The contract hospital will pay for all of your living accomodations.

Plus... no hurricanes and six months of purrrrfect weather.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 04:54   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, montigre.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 09:50   #9

Thanks for the welcome. I was a member many moons age When I was first planning on the cruising life, but it just did not come together. Now it seems like it is moving too fast and I have not planned well enough...
Old 30-04-2017, 10:24   #10

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.
Thumbs up Re: Cruising plans moved forward

I hope you are more disciplined than I. I can't seem to shed all my stuff. My 32' is actually to small to live on as it is a small 32'. So I have a locker @ $67 a month to store my archery, guns, skies, books, arrowhead collection and treasured junk. out of season clothes also. Unfortunately my kids are on the East coast or I could unload it all on them, as I am on the West coast.

I cruise the Salish Sea and British Columbia on the way to Alaska summers and really do not have any desire to go out where the water is deep.

The Winter weather is solved by servicing my big Dodge 350 truck with Arctic Fox camper and towing a Jeep Wrangler as I head South.

I would think a 35' would be quite sufficient. Store what you can't seem to give up and gradually you will shed most of it. Family? Give stuff away, donate or sell the rest. Unless you are firmly attached to your vehicle shed it also. You will save hugely. It is surprising how a person can get along without a car if you try. I have a bicycle but that does not travel with me. I use grocery carts, cabs, hike and in BC my thumb. It is much easer to hitch a ride in the Islands of BC than here in the states and the folks are very friendly.

Insurance? I have State Farm and they have come through for me twice. Once when I hit a rock and once when I hit a dead head. Never a problem and they insure towing service! Good luck and fair winds. 1Sunseeker
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 11:16   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by montigre View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I was a member many moons age When I was first planning on the cruising life, but it just did not come together. Now it seems like it is moving too fast and I have not planned well enough...
Isn't there always the opportunity to pause and sort things out without making quick decisions? It's not as if you need to downsize, sell, buy, store, move, and cruise away all within some set length of time, - right?

It seems like the whole approach to living aboard and cruising is to be free from stress. Don't assume that each falling domino needs to strike the next one in line. You can knock them down at your leisure.
Old 30-04-2017, 13:44   #12

Actually I have been seriously thinking about what to store and what to keep in my rental. Storage items are those that can produce some measure of income when I come off the boat such as collectable rifles, some antique China and artworks, etc. If I store my vehicle, I won't have t worry about buying another when my cruising is over, and of course seasonal clothing will be a necessity. I believe I can fit everything in a single large unit.

I have already digitized most of my reading material and music, so that's a non-issue. Paper books and my LPs (gads this one will be hard) will be donated to the library.

So I guess I should start pursuing the larger boat in about 2 years. That will allow me a leisurely 2 years to make any needed upgrades or improvements to the boat. And when I get my current boat splashed, start bringing the cats on board so they can become accustomed to those unique sights, sounds, smells, and a rocking world. It's just freaking me out how effortlessly everything is falling into place this time around. Guess I was supposed to do it solo....
Old 30-04-2017, 14:06   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

We are struggling with the storage issue ourselves.
I think it will be in stages maybe, initially store too much, then after a couple of years, clean it out.
She just can't toss all this stuff that is so important to her, yet she is coming with me on my dream.
I think I'll back off and we will waste some money on storage, some battles it best to not fight.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2017, 15:07   #14

That's where was the first time around--so difficult to part with those "THINGS" I thought were so important. Then I started having dreams about going to college and learning something important....I already have 2 degrees, so I knew the message was deeper then for me to return to school at my age. Anyway, during one of those dreams I awoke suddenly and stated to my self that the American dream is not my dream--I had allowed myself to get trapped in the trappings.

Since that revelation, no more "learning" dreams, but dreams of travel... sometimes even to other planets, but that's just the nature of dreams; sometimes it;s just the mind having fun. But I am no longer attached to the trappings. They are not nearly as important as the experience. We become better, stronger, smarter, happier through our experience, not our ability to collect stuff. But I know I'm preaching to the choir here. It was just a resounding wake up call for me.

Maybe your wife will start to have dreams of going to school to learn something....
Old 30-04-2017, 15:09   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Don't assume that each falling domino needs to strike the next one in line. You can knock them down at your leisure.
Very wise words. Thank you!!

Tags
cruising