Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2017, 20:21   #1

Cost of sailing the Med

Trying to get my head around the associated costs of sailing the Med...

I've just read a bit about the fees imposed on yachts that sail in Greece, which would mean, as I understand it, if I buy a 40 ft boat in Greece, I'll be paying about 1500 Euros per year just to sail there.
Do I have this right?
Will I have to pay other fees to other countries if I want to sail there, as well? For example, if I want to summer in Greece and winter in Sicily, will I be paying for both countries?
Anyone out there mind sharing the annual costs I can expect for taxes, fees, and the like, if I want to sail around the Med and moor in different places during the seasons?

No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land... Helen Keller
darlindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 00:45   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Re: Cost of sailing the Med

The Greeks seem to keep this open - it was a bit closer a couple of years - doubt it will happen as the lose revenue would not be good - We may be sailing the Greek Isl this summer and not one of our primary concerns - a lot of other things to worry about

as for other costs - take a look at our cost for the last 8 years - the last 3 have been in the Med/Black Sea - but we are full time liveaboards so it may cost us a bit more than seasonal cruisers
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-179783.html
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 03:36   #3

We have sailed in the Ionian for 4 years now. Total cost for entry less than 50 euros Mooring fees are 8 euros a day in ports where there are port police (about 1 in 4) Plenty of safe anchorages. Marina fees vary from 11-50 euros a day.
There has been a cruising tax threatened for several years now, but as far as I know, not implemented yet. You will be taxed if you leave the boat over winter, but I think this is included in the marina fees.

Here is a site with more information http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread...sing-tax-again!

PM me if you need more solutions.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 04:04   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cost of sailing the Med

Regarding Greece.. I've taken a few boats through there over the years and the only 'Fee's' I've ever had to pay were when I have transited the Corinth and when I went up between the mainland and Evia through the lifting bridge at Chalcis.. lots of free docks and little yachting up that way.. its old Greece and not as touristy as further S.
Regarding Sicily/Sardinia etc the only fees are marina ones..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 09:35   #5

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

For croatia there are a number of fees:
1.3. NAVIGATION SAFETY FEE AND POLLUTION PREVENTION
LENGTH (L)*
20*L(m) + 2*Power HRK
1.4. FEE FOR USING AIDS FOR NAVIGATION SAFETY (LIGHT DUES)
L(m)*10 HRK
1.5. SOJOURN TAX
9-12m Length = 1100 HRK/yr. You can pay for shorter periods

All in about £150 for the year for our 12m cat
There are about 7.5 HRK/Euro or about 7 HRK/$.

Most countries levy light dues, which is often included in berthing fees, but rarely collected in isolation. Its happened to me once
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 09:40   #6

Boat: Jeanneau Melody 34
Send a message via Skype™ to beirutsailor

I have wintered in Sicily and cruised in Greece for four years now. The large fees you mentioned refer to owners fees for boats registered in Greece or Italy. Italians now register their boats in Belgium. No obligation to register your boat in Greece when you buy there. Have had a transit log for Greece for over ten years, and given up showing it to the authorities. They can't be bothered, and throw you out, most likely, at least in the Ionian. Things are bit tighter near the Turkish mainland. Greece — has a frightening lot of regulations, but as they repeatedly say, enforcement varies a lot or is non existent.
beirutsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 10:52   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

Med costs vary from super cheap to very expensive. All depends on where you go and what you are.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 11:11   #8

Boat: X-Yachts, X-512, 51.2

No fees in Med except Croatia, until now. In Turkey you pay a custom's fee, but not so much (i don't remember)
stevenit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 13:34   #9

Last summer I sailed from Corfu to Rhodes and on to Turkey over a 10 week period. I only forked out cash at the Corinth Canal, Pireaus & Rhodes marinas. It Greece it is easy to anchor out as you can always find protected bays.

If you end up in a bay with mooring buoys that have been laid out for visiting yachts, they are free although you should go for dinner at the taverna who's owner laid them out

If you like to tie up to the town quays, in my experience you only pay in about about half the towns and when you pay, it can be as little as 2 euro a night (that is not a typo, the Port Police asked me to pay a little less than 2 euro for the 1 night I was staying there) and up to 20 euro.

Even if Greece ever bring in those taxes, Greece still is a cheap place to cruise.
Old 25-03-2017, 13:38   #10

Ohh yeah, I see you are Aussies. You might want to reconsider your Greece/Sicily plan and look at the visa issues you will have.

Might be worth enquiring with the Greek embassy to see if they offer a long stay visa so you can skip the 3 month schengen visa restrictions.
Old 25-03-2017, 15:08   #11
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I hope the political situation in Turkey and Tunisia settles down gently.
Old 25-03-2017, 16:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
This is a fear that many people have. My brother in law has sailed in the Aegean for 2 years and especially along the Turkish coast and never saw one refugee. We have sailed all over the Med and have found it very safe; We have never been robbed or even spoken aggessively to. Of course we avoid 'hotspots' but there is still plenty to do. During the tourist season about 50 million people visit the Mediterranean. There would be over 50,000 boats kept in the Aegean alone. It is a very active tourist area and will be for a long time. We choose a lifestyle that avoids the tourist centres and tend to wander from one little village to another.

We avoid going to America because of the lax gun laws and the fact that it is a high profile target for terrorists as well as American citizens to make a statement.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 18:02   #13
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
This is a fear that many people have. My brother in law has sailed in the Aegean for 2 years and especially along the Turkish coast and never saw one refugee. We have sailed all over the Med and have found it very safe; We have never been robbed or even spoken aggessively to. Of course we avoid 'hotspots' but there is still plenty to do. During the tourist season about 50 million people visit the Mediterranean. There would be over 50,000 boats kept in the Aegean alone. It is a very active tourist area and will be for a long time. We choose a lifestyle that avoids the tourist centres and tend to wander from one little village to another.

We avoid going to America because of the lax gun laws and the fact that it is a high profile target for terrorists as well as American citizens to make a statement.
I look forward to Turkey, then. I've always wanted to cruise the area and take advantage of the fantastic tradition of boat craftsmen there.

US newspapers paint a picture of millions of small boats run by bandit smugglers, pillaging child refugees who are drowning by the millions. All of this requires loads of US tax dollars and consultants, with further layers of federal government to manage them and protect us.
Old 26-03-2017, 00:11   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post

I would guess your bother in law is blind then - we have sailed the Greek Isl and wintered over in Turkey twice now - there are migrants and lots of them but the Greeks do a good job keeping them in selected areas - we have seen them come in off the boats they came across on, in camps and along the waterfronts - never had an issue

And we are American citizens and proud of it and fly our American Flag high and proud - and no one is taking that from us -- If you really think a bad guy would really take out an small boat crew for publicity you got to be kidding - they want max value and 2 old Americans are not max value

As for you not going to America - well good
Old 26-03-2017, 00:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
Have you sailed Tunisia if not where does your information come from??

We have sailed Tunisia and wintered over there 2 winters and it is a great country and really getting it's act together - if we were closer we would not hesitate to winter there again or sail the coast.
And when we were in Tunisia we traveled all through the country and the people were great in all parts and very welcoming --

Please explain how Tunisia is a problem!

Tags
sail, sailing