Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2017, 03:39   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Underway in the Med -
Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
Posts: 1,769
Images: 1
8 years of cost data

OK here is the cost data for our last 8 years. this was an expensive year as I had to have gall bladder removed in Turkey - A few Turks have told me I got taken and should have check around a bit more - We do not carry medical insurance as getting it and the cost when you are over 70 is hard and expensive
It was also a year for major work on the boat before we headed to the Black Sea with major rebuilds on the prop and windlass along with a new spurs shaft line cutter. We spent a lot on making sure the boat was in as good as shape as possible for there are no small problems in the Black Sea only big ones.
There are no real anchorages in the Black Sea so dockage cost was high and we had to use agents in Georgia and Russia and it did cost a bit to get into Russia.
We also travelled inland to Armenia, around Russia and in Ukraine to Krakow and Moldova.

hope this helps
Attached Files
File Type: xls 8 YEARS COST DATA (1).xls (38.5 KB, 2064 views)
__________________

__________________
just our thoughts and opinions
chuck and svsoulmates
wintering over in Kusadasi Turkey
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 04:56   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado Springs, Co but the boat is in Corpus Christi, TX
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Posts: 253
Re: 8 years of cost data

Lot of great info, thanks.
__________________

__________________
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:02   #3
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 5,485
Re: 8 years of cost data

See you worked out how to save a .xlsx as a .xls file.


Very interesting data. Thanks for that.
__________________
StuM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:37   #4
Moderator
 
a64pilot's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Albany Ga.
Boat: Island Packet 38
Posts: 14,016
Re: 8 years of cost data

The surgery does drive costs up doesn't it?
If you don't mind the question how did you handle it? Do you have an uh-oh fund? Do you intend to try to replenish the fund if so by tightening the belt?

Money issues aside how was the standard of care? Did it seem clean and sterile? Successful outcome? Are you glad you didn't fly back to the US? Would you do anything different?

If these are too personal, of course just tell me so, I'll bug off.

I do want to thank you for sharing what a great many would consider none of our business. I am not trying to pry too much, just I have zero experience with cruising full time, and at this stage in my life, its unlikely that I could cruise for five years, run out of money and go back to work, so I'm trying to get a realistic view of what it costs.
I know that if I try to cover every base, we will never leave, so I'm trying to determine that balance of realistic risk.

Before you left, did you replace all standing rigging, get new sails etc. or is that something you plan on buying as necessary?


Again, thank you
__________________
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 05:54   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 14
Re: 8 years of cost data

Thank you! I have poured over all of your sheets and will do so again.
__________________
bennenrkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:12   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Boat: Lagoon 42
Posts: 9
Re: 8 years of cost data

Alcohol runs at 5%! Is that due to quality or quantity?
__________________
nextis12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:21   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
Symphony's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ct
Boat: Tartan 4100
Posts: 376
Re: 8 years of cost data

as always - THANK YOU for keeping, categorizing and sharing your experience.
__________________
Symphony
Tartan 4100
Symphony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:43   #8
Registered User
 
Rigdaddy's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: El Campo, Texas
Boat: Hans Christian 41 T
Posts: 56
Re: 8 years of cost data

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
as always - THANK YOU for keeping, categorizing and sharing your experience.
Agreed, every time I get serious about keeping track of boat expenses, denial sets in. Glad somebody perseveres.
__________________
Timing is everything
Rigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:51   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Upstate SC
Boat: SJ 21
Posts: 15
Re: 8 years of cost data

Great information. Gives real life costs of cruising. For those of us that don't cruise, and need to know if it is affordable, this is the information needed. Clearly this is not a budget but the real world costs for cruising.
From this data it is easy to determine if cruising will fit into my budget. For sure, some years you spend more some years you spend less. That is why you need savings to draw from in time of need which can be replenished in the years of lower costs.
Thanks much for the info.
__________________
majones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:54   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,767
Re: 8 years of cost data

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The surgery does drive costs up doesn't it?
If you don't mind the question how did you handle it? Do you have an uh-oh fund? Do you intend to try to replenish the fund if so by tightening the belt?

Money issues aside how was the standard of care? Did it seem clean and sterile? Successful outcome? Are you glad you didn't fly back to the US? Would you do anything different?

If these are too personal, of course just tell me so, I'll bug off.

I do want to thank you for sharing what a great many would consider none of our business. I am not trying to pry too much, just I have zero experience with cruising full time, and at this stage in my life, its unlikely that I could cruise for five years, run out of money and go back to work, so I'm trying to get a realistic view of what it costs.
I know that if I try to cover every base, we will never leave, so I'm trying to determine that balance of realistic risk.

Before you left, did you replace all standing rigging, get new sails etc. or is that something you plan on buying as necessary?


Again, thank you
When we were in Turkey we utilized their medical system and found it pretty much as good as our own. Obviously no country even comes close to the costs of the USA system that's for profit. We had American friends who had a last minute medical emergency that required high tech eye surgery and we discussed the option of flying home. They decided to have the operation done in Turkey as the costs we quite a bit less than the airline tickets back home. Everything turned out just fine and it was a real eye opener for them, no pun intended. I saw two specialists when I was there and my fees were around $30.00 US. It will be interesting to hear Chucks views on this. R
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:06   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,767
Re: 8 years of cost data

One thing you should keep an eye on when discussing monthly cruising costs are...the extent of the refit you have done before you left and how long you cruise for. If you replace almost everything before you leave you will have spent a ton of dough on the refit, ie new rigging, new engine, new sails, new pumps, new windless, the list goes on then your boat maintenance over the first 5-10 years is going to be a lot less compared to the cruiser who maintained and refitted as they cruised. Also if you only cruise for a few years your costs to keep the boat up are going to be much lower. Another point is where are you cruising, if your crossing oceans and putting the big miles on your costs to maintain are going to be higher than someone cruising in the Caribbean or Med where the boat doesn't see the number of cycles that offshore boats see. People that hunker down in one general area and don't sail very much are going to experience lower costs all around.
We've found that on average we spend close to a thousand dollars a month on replacement and maintenance, some months higher and others much lower. If we quite traveling our costs would be a lot lower.
__________________
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:18   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 143
Re: 8 years of cost data

Thanks for the data! I am trying to establish a business case, how many weeks of sailing justifies buying a ~33' boat (less than 10m LOA - not feeding all kind of greedy govt.s and marinas in the Med) vs chartering it.
__________________
GTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:44   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 51
Re: 8 years of cost data

very interesting data. Thanks for sharing.
__________________
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 13:43   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 170
Re: 8 years of cost data

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
I had to have gall bladder removed in Turkey - A few Turks have told me I got taken and should have check around a bit more - We do not carry medical insurance as getting it and the cost when you are over 70 is hard and expensive
It was also a year for major work on the boat before we headed to the Black Sea with major rebuilds on the prop and windlass along with a new spurs shaft line cutter. We spent a lot on making sure the boat was in as good as shape as possible for there are no small problems in the Black Sea only big ones.
I've family on the SW coast of Turkey, part of the year for over a decade now. Overall, it is a wonderful country and I really hope you can get down to its jewel: The Turquois Coast.

From seeing doctors/hospitals for antibiotics to back surgery, our family has had a lot of experience with HC there. On my first visit I had an infection and went to the local tourist doc and I totally got taken, for sure! But she is known as the one who rips off tourists and we we're still new there. So those Turks are probably right. You need locals to help you, to translate and such and shop around for HC or other important, costly matters. Opinions/help from a few different local expats will also help. Although, tese things can be difficult for cruisers as they move around a lot.

From my research and family exp in T, I believe its HC costs are less expensive than Mexico's. Particularly now with such a strong USD and weak Lira (1:3.6).

Mom had back surgery, done by a brain surgeon. Cash of course, but certainly a fraction of US prices. It was and is still successful.

Chuckr, feel free to PM for any questions. Our immediate and extended family do/have businesses there, we understand the Turkish culture pretty well.
__________________
sailorcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 19:44   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 48
Re: 8 years of cost data

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
One thing you should keep an eye on when discussing monthly cruising costs are...the extent of the refit you have done before you left and how long you cruise for. If you replace almost everything before you leave you will have spent a ton of dough on the refit, ie new rigging, new engine, new sails, new pumps, new windless, the list goes on then your boat maintenance over the first 5-10 years is going to be a lot less compared to the cruiser who maintained and refitted as they cruised. Also if you only cruise for a few years your costs to keep the boat up are going to be much lower. Another point is where are you cruising, if your crossing oceans and putting the big miles on your costs to maintain are going to be higher than someone cruising in the Caribbean or Med where the boat doesn't see the number of cycles that offshore boats see. People that hunker down in one general area and don't sail very much are going to experience lower costs all around.
We've found that on average we spend close to a thousand dollars a month on replacement and maintenance, some months higher and others much lower. If we quite traveling our costs would be a lot lower.
Hi Robert

What kind of boat do you sail (age and what size?). I am trying to get a better understanding of your maintenance costs.

Best regards,
- Fabian
__________________

__________________
fabgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 years of cost data chuckr Dollars & Cents 94 15-02-2017 16:45
Presentation of 8 years of cost data chuckr Dollars & Cents 12 08-02-2017 20:05
6 years of cost data chuckr Dollars & Cents 36 28-01-2016 14:30
5 Years of Cost Data - chuckr Dollars & Cents 54 08-10-2015 23:24


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:51.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.