Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2022, 06:53   #61

Re: Clothing for a transatlantic passage

Not wearing cotton may be expedient, may make your life onboard a bit easier, but all performance fabrics are made with petroleum based products and frequently contain micro plastics. While they may wick away your sweat quickly and dry faster than cotton clothing which has absorbed sweat or is slightly wet or soaked with salt spray/salt water, they shed micro-particles of the toxins they are made out of, and those get into your pores, into your bloodstream, and in general into the environment. Especially when your rinse or wash them. Far better for you and the environment to have a few changes of cotton chinos, cotton shirts, underwear if you wear it, and rinse out your sweaty or spray splashed clothes at night, rig a line outside to hang/drape them to dry. Your skin will thank you, your body will thank you, the environment will thank you. All it takes is a modicum of effort. And I am all for wool! Many benefits, including, when wet, being a fire retardant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Why is cotton bad? Why do adventure racers, and former adventure racers despise cotton? Why do race sites like Yukon River Quest and Water Tribe preach against cotton?

Simple, imagine it is 0100 air is 5C or high 30’sF. You are snuggled in standing watch and there is a wind shift. Being a competent watch keeper you go about the business of trimming the sails, or setting a reef. During the exertion you perspire.

If you have a cotton teeshirt on, that cotton will get wet. When you are done working, your body will cool, the shirt will remain wet and your body will need to use energy to offset the heat lost to the cotton. The cotton tee shirt will remain wet until you get below and take it off.

If you use a performance fabric as a base layer, when you stop working- the perspiration will be wicked away and dry. Granted the performance fabric will smell rancid after a few days if wearing, that is why you need to rinse it out. Or carry a few spares if doing a shorter run.

Don’t get me wrong, I have some very nice cotton dress shirts. Ironed, with some light starch, look great——around town. Just not on the water.

PS- masochists aside, most folks wear long sleeve shirts, or polar tech under their wool sweaters.
Old 22-04-2022, 07:19   #62

Boat: Texas Trimaran Piver 24

Merino Wool! Merino Wool!

Merino Wool is NOT itchy like regular wool. If feels different than cotton but it’s not itchy. My body chemistry will make synthetic base layers smell horrible within the day and the smell is difficult to wash out. I can literally wear the same Merino Wool t-shirt for days at a time. (Although I’d recommend bringing two to alternate). I have merino wool socks, long johns, underwear, t-shirts, and long sleeve undershirts. Kind of spendy, but totally worth it!
Texas Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 07:22   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post
Here’s what I take for longer off-shore passages:

Waterproof duffle and dry bags
Foulies (jacket, pants & boots)
Clothes for on-shore
Fleece jacket / merino top
Shorts x 2
Long pants
Shirts - long and short sleeved
Undies
Socks - sports & waterproof
Boat Shoes
Thermals
Beanie (& gloves?)
Cap & Sun Hat
Sailing knife
Sun glasses with strap
Micro Towel
Toiletries
Sea Rug
Camping pillow
Drink bottle
Coffee mug
Binoculars
Hand bearing compass
Electronics
Phone
iPad
Charger
Power bank
Cables
Head torch & spare batteries
• PLB & MOB AIS
• Earbuds

I’ve never needed two sets of foulies
Great list! I would add your own PFD.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 08:11   #64

Boat: Having a Stealth X 51 built

Cotton undies, really? What century do you live in?

Send the reply by fax….
markiobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 08:35   #65

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 49

For basics I wear synthetic items to keep warm, sometimes separate, sometimes multiple layers….

Undies
Light thermal bottoms
Heavy thermal bottoms
Fuzzy pants. (Amazon Essentials Men's Closed Bottom Fleece Sweatpants)

Cotton T shirt
Light and heavy thermal tops, with 2 tops that zip the collar up my neck.
Vest that zips up around my neck

Gator, to stop cold air from going down my neck, and protect my ears from the cold going through my watch cap.

Synthetic glove liners.

Long synthetic socks
Bluechart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 08:35   #66

LW77, Snore and the rest of you who reject cotton and wool....

Too bad you aren't listening to kish and myself and others....centuries of seafarers wearing cotton as base layers and wool over the cotton...they weren't wrong; neither are we. The fact is that the manufacturing industry which makes clothing from non-natural fibers is a big, powerful industry, lots and lots of money, and the fat cat corporate executives and the owners don't want to loose the bundles of money they have made at the expense of our health and the health of the environment. They will say anything to keep you buying their toxic products. The bottom line is that those kinds of clothing are not as good as the clothing made from natural fibers: cotton, wool, and other plant fibers...clothing which is made without any petroleum or micro plastics or chemicals.

It is sad to note that much of what changed as a result of the "Industrial Revolution," much of what has been produced and sold and become part of our everyday lives since then, has proved to be a significant cause of what humanity now faces....Climate Disaster, the destruction of the environment and eradication of wildlife, plastic choking the oceans and most of what lives in the oceans (including coral reefs). We traded expediency, increased comfort and ease of living for the health and long-life of our planet and everything living on it.

Originally Posted by kish View Post
Wool is superb in all circumstances for staying warm.

Do sheep feel the cold on wet mountainsides.

Sailors in the pre-synthetic clothing era relied nearly exclusively on woolen sweaters sometimes known as woolen jumpers.

Cotton worn next to skin and then woolen layers is the way to go.

********I
NO COTTON, Kish!!!

Haven't you been paying attention?
(See Posts #15 + #16)

Think Snore and I are a teensy bit zealous about this...?

LW77

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
NO COTTON, Kish!!!

(See Posts #15 + #16)

LW77

Now excuse me please, I have to go write a Diesel Systems exam...
Old 22-04-2022, 09:04   #67
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Clothing for a transatlantic passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamaiden View Post
LW77, Snore and the rest of you who reject cotton and wool....

Too bad you aren't listening to kish and myself and others....centuries of seafarers wearing cotton as base layers and wool over the cotton...they weren't wrong; neither are we. The fact is that the manufacturing industry which makes clothing from non-natural fibers is a big, powerful industry, lots and lots of money, and the fat cat corporate executives and the owners don't want to loose the bundles of money they have made at the expense of our health and the health of the environment. They will say anything to keep you buying their toxic products. The bottom line is that those kinds of clothing are not as good as the clothing made from natural fibers: cotton, wool, and other plant fibers...clothing which is made without any petroleum or micro plastics or chemicals.

It is sad to note that much of what changed as a result of the "Industrial Revolution," much of what has been produced and sold and become part of our everyday lives since then, has proved to be a significant cause of what humanity now faces....Climate Disaster, the destruction of the environment and eradication of wildlife, plastic choking the oceans and most of what lives in the oceans (including coral reefs). We traded expediency, increased comfort and ease of living for the health and long-life of our planet and everything living on it.

Originally Posted by kish View Post
Wool is superb in all circumstances for staying warm.

Do sheep feel the cold on wet mountainsides.

Sailors in the pre-synthetic clothing era relied nearly exclusively on woolen sweaters sometimes known as woolen jumpers.

Cotton worn next to skin and then woolen layers is the way to go.

********I
NO COTTON, Kish!!!

(See Posts #15 + #16)

LW77
I agree Seamaiden and if the budget allows it Egyptian cotton beats anything both for underwear and bedding (silk is to slippy)
I have a great distaste for the cheap bin bag disposable clothes so popular with the masses..
Tried posting about microfibres in the past but apparently it had nothing to do with sailing, despite it being in the water you sail in and drink, the fish you catch and the clothing that sheds it.
Kudos for your caring..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 09:13   #68

My two cents, not a prescription but what worked for me on a trip New York to Horta (Azores), to Kinsale (Ireland), Reykjavik), New Foundland, Gaspe, Lake Ontario, beginning June, ending September, Tayana 37.

For time ashore: ordinary street wear, including one pair of rough jeans for boat work, all in a sealed/reseal-able package. Khakis or clean jeans are acceptable most places, with shirt and sweater. I wouldn't worry about not standing out as American; even our walk gives us away. I would pay more attention to a few words of the local language, to be polite -- always appreciated. And have in your pocket when you arrive 50 - 100 bucks of the local currency -- after clearing immigration, a bar is the first stop.

At sea: one set of high quality weather gear">foul weather gear, large enough to fit a couple of lawyers beneath, preferably with a fly arrangement to allow you to use the head without fully undressing. Waterproof gloves, heavy-duty fleece hat (balaclava if possible, very comforting under a hood on night watch), good sea boots (no liner), loose enough to accept two pairs of socks and be able to get them off very quickly if needed (inadvertently swimming). I assume a boat of your size will have aboard a spare set of foulies for emergency use.

Under everything, silk underwear, from Winter Silks. Very comfortable, easily washable, do not retain body odors as the artificial fibers do, and very compact: you can pack several sets in the space that would be required for one set of cotton underwear. I wear briefs and tee-shirts, not long sleeves. Socks: warm, dry feet are critical. I wear a looped file boot sock from Wigwam, multiple sets always appreciated, go under sea boots and in street shoes.

Second layer: light fleece pants and tops; West Marine has some designed to go under foul weather gear. I sleep in this layer, boots and foulies on the floor next to the bunk for the possibility of a call for hands-on-deck.

Third layer, depending on temperature and rain: heavy-duty fleece jacket with high collar, and heavy-duty fleece pants.

On deck in clement weather: long-sleeved shirt with collar, sailing shorts (nylon for quick drying), deck sandals with good tread, closed heel and toe to avoid catching on something. Broad-brimmed, flexible-brimmed hat with chin strap, flexible to avoid having it knocked off every time you brush against something.

Sun and reading glasses with croakies and back-ups, although I did 8,000 nm without losing a pair. For sun glasses, dark but not polarized unless you are doing a lot of sail trimming: polarizing wipes out the plotter display.

Those are my thoughts, happy to respond if questions. 'Happy sailing.

PeterJ
s/v Sans Souci
PeterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 09:36   #69

Boat: Beneteau OCEANIS 46.1

I’m sure everyone who have done much more offshore than me have give you the essentials,
Two things that may not have been mentioned.
Get one of those woollen neck sleeves that can be pulled over your cap and face . Sorry there is probably a proper name.
In the sun it protects your neck & ears from sunburn. I recently had a melanoma removed from the crease in my ear. At night it keeps your face protected & warm. If you’ve ever sailed in hail or heavy rain you’ll appreciate that.
Secondly get a few plastic bags full of whatever comfort food you love. Cashews, chocolates etc or whatever you like. Spoil yourself! Nothing better than getting into your bunk after a watch & munching on you secret stash.
CAVOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 09:38   #70

Peter, so right about the silk underwear (and much else you wrote). I forgot about that; wore it for many years when I was sailing on chilly August days off the coast of Maine and horseback riding in Winter.

My foul weather gear (Gill) is a size too large to accommodate layers and ease of movement, as are my boots, for layering cotton socks and woolen socks and, as you noted, still slightly loose to pull off quickly, though to date I have never had to do that.

Seamaiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterJ View Post
My two cents, not a prescription but what worked for me on a trip New York to Horta (Azores), to Kinsale (Ireland), Reykjavik), New Foundland, Gaspe, Lake Ontario, beginning June, ending September, Tayana 37.

For time ashore: ordinary street wear, including one pair of rough jeans for boat work, all in a sealed/reseal-able package. Khakis or clean jeans are acceptable most places, with shirt and sweater. I wouldn't worry about not standing out as American; even our walk gives us away. I would pay more attention to a few words of the local language, to be polite -- always appreciated. And have in your pocket when you arrive 50 - 100 bucks of the local currency -- after clearing immigration, a bar is the first stop.

At sea: one set of high quality foul weather gear, large enough to fit a couple of lawyers beneath, preferably with a fly arrangement to allow you to use the head without fully undressing. Waterproof gloves, heavy-duty fleece hat (balaclava if possible, very comforting under a hood on night watch), good sea boots (no liner), loose enough to accept two pairs of socks and be able to get them off very quickly if needed (inadvertently swimming). I assume a boat of your size will have aboard a spare set of foulies for emergency use.

Under everything, silk underwear, from Winter Silks. Very comfortable, easily washable, do not retain body odors as the artificial fibers do, and very compact: you can pack several sets in the space that would be required for one set of cotton underwear. I wear briefs and tee-shirts, not long sleeves. Socks: warm, dry feet are critical. I wear a looped file boot sock from Wigwam, multiple sets always appreciated, go under sea boots and in street shoes.

Second layer: light fleece pants and tops; West Marine has some designed to go under foul weather gear. I sleep in this layer, boots and foulies on the floor next to the bunk for the possibility of a call for hands-on-deck.

Third layer, depending on temperature and rain: heavy-duty fleece jacket with high collar, and heavy-duty fleece pants.

On deck in clement weather: long-sleeved shirt with collar, sailing shorts (nylon for quick drying), deck sandals with good tread, closed heel and toe to avoid catching on something. Broad-brimmed, flexible-brimmed hat with chin strap, flexible to avoid having it knocked off every time you brush against something.

Sun and reading glasses with croakies and back-ups, although I did 8,000 nm without losing a pair. For sun glasses, dark but not polarized unless you are doing a lot of sail trimming: polarizing wipes out the plotter display.

Those are my thoughts, happy to respond if questions. 'Happy sailing.

PeterJ
s/v Sans Souci
Old 22-04-2022, 09:41   #71

I was trying to write "foul weather gear" but it keeps coming out wrong, despite editing after posting. What is going in with the system?

Quote:
Peter, so right about the silk underwear (and much else you wrote). I forgot about that; wore it for many years when I was sailing on chilly August days off the coast of Maine and horseback riding in Winter.

My foul weather gear (Gill) is a size too large to accommodate layers and ease of movement, as are my boots, for layering cotton socks and woolen socks and, as you noted, still slightly loose to pull off quickly, though to date I have never had to do that.

Seamaiden
Old 22-04-2022, 09:45   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Clothing for a transatlantic passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVOK View Post
Get one of those woollen neck sleeves that can be pulled over your cap and face . Sorry there is probably a proper name. .
I believe its called a Snood.. also Tube Scarf's..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 10:09   #73

Boat: Tartan 40

Well, people sure have differing opinions about what to wear and why!

As an old guy who is not working on his tan, I love white or light colored, lightweight 100% cotton long sleeve shirts in hot, sunny climates. You can buy them for $4 each at Goodwill or thrift stores or $20-40 in any Caribbean tourist markets. When they get stained, throw them away. Any synthetic fabric shirts feel like I am wearing a plastic bag! Also, I don’t have to slather sunscreen over what my shirt covers. If I sweat, the sea breeze and sun dries out the cotton as I wear it.

For those chilly Caribbean nights and in cooler weather, Smart Wool underwear tops and bottoms and merino wool can’t be beat for warmth, breathability and odor resistance. Your sweat in cotton clothes doesn’t dry or wick well in cool or cold weather. A neck gait, a stocking cap and light gloves adds an extra 5-10 degrees of warmth when it turns chilly and cold. You can hand wash all those items in the sink when you need to.
My small boat sailing hero, Webb Chiles, loves his blue jeans. Go figure. Bottom line, you can wear anything you want and justify your choices.
Have a great trip!
djhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 10:50   #74

Boat: Tartan 40

I forgot to mention the luxuries. Serious ear plugs and noise canceling headphones can transport you from an anxiety inducing storm to your own happy place with your favorite tunes in your bunk. It works even toward the fore berths as you are momentarily airborne with the bow falling off waves. So calming!! You will need your rest for the next watch.
djhsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2022, 11:13   #75

Boat: Watkins 27 - 27'

Quote:
centuries of seafarers wearing cotton as base layers and wool over the cotton...they weren't wrong
No they weren't wrong, they were cold, wet, and miserable.

And while I don't necessarily disagree about the detrimental effects of plastics, "centuries of seafarers wearing cotton... and wool" wasn't because these were outstanding fabrics for the purpose, it was because it was all they had/could afford!

I'm as much an outdoorsman as a sailor. Grew up wearing cotton and wool through the winter months hunting and fishing, and you know what? We froze our backsides off! It wasn't until the mid/late '70's, with the advent of affordable synthetic fiber/insulation and weatherproof fabrics, that being outside in the cold/wet became more than barely tolerable.

Oh, and one more thing. Regarding the question "do sheep feel the cold on wet mountainside?" You bet they do. They will seek shelter to get out of the wind and rain and flock together to keep warm.

Tags
clothing, passage