Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-06-2011, 18:06   #1

Boat: N/A
Send a message via Skype™ to expataboard
Boat Wanted for Room and Board (Vancouver)

I know this is a long shot but here goes:

I am a 45 year old American musician who has moved to Vancouver after signing a 3 album deal with 604 Records and am currently recording the first album here with my band We Need Surgery.

I have been in Vancouver for about 8 months living in a tiny crowded apt. in a room with no windows and am going stir crazy. I have always wanted to live on a boat and for the first time in a many-city career I am in a city surrounded by boats. I thought just perhaps I could find someone whose boat is idle this summer and who might want someone to rent the space to cut down on costs and/or someone to keep the boat clean and do some very minor maintenance.

I don't have any boating experience and know that's probably a major minus, but I would like to start learning a bit about boating.

I am educated (MA TESOL) and responsible and have plenty of references if needed.

If interested in exploring this idea call me at 205-470-5284 (that's my U.S. ATT phone but I am in Vancouver) or email me at bgbutler@gmail.com.
expataboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2011, 22:23   #2

Hello expataboard. As a livaboard owner in Vancouver I can tell u that all those boats u see are not legal for livaboard. Most people on False creek or Burrard inlet are "sneakaboards" as very few marinas are legal for livaboard status. I live on the Fraser river in a legal marina and it isnt cheap. Most boats under 35 ft are tight to live in. Specially if u have never done it before. Vancouver housing costs are a disgrace thanks to self interested and gutless politihacks selling the country and citizens down the river for a few bucks and imigravotes. I seriously doubt boat life is your answer. But good luck with the dream.
gunboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:09   #3

Boat: looking
Re: Boat wanted for room and board (Vancouver)

If you haven't already done it, put ads on these sites, in the various boat categories:
Kijiji British Columbia: Free classifieds for Jobs, Resume, Cars, Housing, Apartments, Furniture, Personals, Services, Events, Appliances and more.

craigslist: vancouver, BC classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events

As mentioned, you'll probably end up at Shelter Island Marina or one of the other marinas on the river, which is a bit of a commute & will require a vehicle. Still, there are Burrard & Heather civic marinas:
Vancouver Park Board - Marinas
You might want to visit them & see if you can put an ad up somewhere.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:52   #4

Boat: N/A
Send a message via Skype™ to expataboard
Re: Boat wanted for room and board (Vancouver)

Thanks for the replies. Did not realize the legal issues at the downtown marinas. Looks like work is taking me to Tokyo soon anyway so I doubt I will pursue this further.

Cheers!
expataboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 15:19   #5

Re: Boat Wanted for Room and Board (Vancouver)

I am very interested in this. I am looking for a sailboat 22-30ft boat for rent to own 400/m or 4,500.
LonelyPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wanted