Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 20:27   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Supplies list for circumnavigating

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidIndie View Post
All of these responses seem to think I'm some ditsy girl going half assed Into this. I'm not trying to leave tomorrow. My leaving date has changed to like 2019. I've grown up boating, know how to rebuild an engine and am leaning the ropes of mechanics and other things on board from a very experienced mechanic. I know how to sail thanks and now know to never ask for advice on here again. Asking a question doesn't mean I don't know anything. Just trying to get others opinions and just get ******** in reply.

The crash of waves and salty air are the signs of freedom
Sorry the responses didn't meet expectations...

I don't know you or know what you like to cook or how you like to cook.

Someone else's list may not work for you, if they have one. So in order to be helpful try this.

Keep a note pad in your kitchen. Keep track of the things you use and the things you eat. Transfer that to a spreadsheet. You could get fancy and keep track of how much of something you eat - i.e. how long to consume a kilo of sugar? How frequently you use your espresso machine?

Then in 4 years you will know what to buy and how much of it to buy. You will also have a list of all the cooking pots, zip-lock bags and can openers you use.

Then you pare down the list based on what you can live without and how much space you have on your boat. Then you research the countries you are going to and see if they sell gluten free flour or Kale or pomegranates. Then you may decide to eat like a local instead.

As Belizesailor said, You aren't preparing for a nuclear holocaust and I would add that you aren't changing your basic diet.

And if you have read any of the dozens of provisioning threads before posting you don't indicate so. Not that it is a requirement but it helps to do some basic research.

provisioning - Google Search

Peace, out...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 20:41   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MermaidIndie View Post
Just trying to get others opinions and just get ******** in reply.
The term "********" is a little strong, especially coming from someone who wishes to circumnavigate the planet on the ocean waves and posts about the needs of pans and a first-aid kit on a boating forum. I might have used the term "undue sarcasm" instead, yet even that would be too strong because there is much to be learned from sarcastic sailors. At least as much as can be learned from a greasy engine mechanic. As someone mentioned, a 3-year trip in salt water requires a good sense of humor. **** is going to happen, and usually at the worst possible moment. At least that's what my Irish buddy Murphy tells me.

Cheer up! It's going to be a long trip. Don't forget your pans.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 05:55   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Since I've been on CF a while I actually feel the responses where pretty much as expected. Sorry but that is the sad truth. The OP might get some real answers at a more distance type forum like SSCA.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:12   #34
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
We are down to 1.5 bottles. I drink the stuff. Going to be a bad day when that runs out.

Mark
Does Amazon.com deliver to your location?

Marie Sharp's Hot Sauce, Habanero Pepper, 10 Ounce
Price: $10.49 ($1.05 / Ounce) & FREE Shipping on orders over $35.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:59   #35

Boat: csy 37

Beans, rice, oatmeal, lots of fresh water. And a fishing rod.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2015, 17:36   #36

And not feeling happy at posted replies, b...sh.. Etc, you don't do too badly yourself in that department..... Not exactly p.c...... With 'ditzy girl and half-assed'. Etc etc."

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
nautilee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 08:07   #37

Answers in this thread are hilarious, clearly many of the respondents have done multiple single handed [non stop?] circumnavigations with only a bag of rice for supplies and depended on rain for water.

World ARC have lists for everything, may be what you are looking for
Jimmy Cornell has many books describing what/how/when/etc.

I have no connection to Jimmy Cornell, the World ARC, or any other Rally, I make no recommendation to join them (or not).

Best of luck
amosfiat is offline   Reply With Quote