Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37   #46
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
If you go to an Island and expect some short guy yelling "da plane...da plane"...and have Islanders lavashing you with attention, you're going to be disappointed.
Although not that short, if you came over here I would be prepared to do that Including if you arrived by boat .....would probably need to cross my palm with beer though.

Islanders are funny buggers .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:37   #47

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snkr View Post
Just wondering if anyone has gone cruising to get away from everyone and thing if so how long and where to?

I imagine there's a few deserted islands out there that have edible vegetation maybe wild meat etc!?!
A couple of weeks ago I drove from Tallahassee, Florida across the bridge to St. George Island State Park and paid the camping fee for the primitive camp ground. I launched my kayak, padded to the camp site, pitched my tent and stayed from Tuesday till Thursday. While I took some food I caught trout and flounder for some meals. I did not see another person the whole time.

I have made similar trips to the Ten Thousand Islands for longer periods of time with similar results. I could probably go for a couple of months in the Ten Thousand Islands and not see another person if I really tried. The real problem would be water but a solar still would provide enough to stay alive.

The water problem is easily solved if you went some place like the islands/shore line of the spring fed Wacissia River or in the Acullia Slough. Same for places in Tate's Hell.

These trips are for the purpose of wildlife photography so avoiding people maximizes my chances for capturing images of wild life. But if the truth be known I much prefer having some folks around.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 14:16   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I want to get away from it all..........

..........to a place with sun 24/7 and with freindly natives in bamboo huts by the seashore who live off the sea and in harmony with mother nature, and think I am the greatest thing to arrive in their area since sliced bread (not that they know what that is)..........they will also need to be able to fix an aircon unit and solve refrigeration issues (using only their native cunning) and are able to deliver Pizza. WIFI would also be essential. and Ice. and Beer.

All natives should apply to the usual address.
The aircon and fridge are out but the rest is assured on the many islands of Chuuck(Truk Lagoon)good luck...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 14:36   #49
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snkr View Post
Just wondering if anyone has gone cruising to get away from everyone and thing if so how long and where to?

I imagine there's a few deserted islands out there that have edible vegetation maybe wild meat etc!?!
Like another poster mentioned the 10,000 Islands/Everglades National Park is a spot where you can go a few days to a week without seeing someone. But eventually you do see someone. Like many places on a good day you see more dolphin than people.

Also it is possible to "own" a piece of land in Florida by squatting on it.

Just north of the National Park is Camp LuLu Key N25 50.163 W81 30.448. Until he passed in 2001, Mike used to "own" Camp LuLu. After living thier for 5 years and establishing a residence there, attempting to pay the taxes on Camp LuLu, he had developed rights....... much to the chagrin of The State of Florida who actually owned the land. If you go to Google Earth, you can still see the roof of the home he built, without the photo voltaic cells

Mike add a certain flair to the island. He was a retired airline pilot who was best described as he was a social hermit. You were always welcome, especially if your brought chocolate or a GOOD cigar.

Bottom line, there are places you can go with limited access. Then again, I think Mike had it right with the whole "social hermit" perspective.

Cheers
Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote