Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2017, 10:52   #16

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.
Re: Time to chance course

Right on, try it on OPB's see if you can stand it.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 10:28   #17

Boat: Better not mention, (it's a motorized sloep)

Mea maxima culpa,

For not replying the last 4 days.

Amsterdam Dance Event is taking place and I have some D.J's as guest at our place , just one more night. And i'll be back.

Grtz from a bit hung over Robért (just one more night).
robregje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 12:19   #18

If I was serious about a business like that, I would not buy a boat. Charter boats are already the best vessels for what you have in mind. Just charter a boat when you have a trip booked. Include the charter fee in your price. You won't have to worry about cleaning the boat or maintaining it - the charter company does all that. The charter company will even provision the boat.

Once you have proven that your business idea is a good one and you still want to operate it, then you start thinking about buying a boat.
jwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 13:23   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

My current boat was in the charter business in the PNW from 1972 to 2006. None of the owners made any real money. Most went broke with each owner initially putting a bunch of money into remodel or updates and then slowly going broke. The last one did chartering for 15 years, licensed for 50 day or 12 overnight passengers. When I bought the boat it had a $20,000 dock bill and was in sad shape.
1Sunseeker has it correctly. In younger days I ran charter boats. It takes a certain personality I don't have. Few do. It really doesn't work if the boat you charter is your home. Yachts are not finished in materials with heavy traffic in mind.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 14:45   #20

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

you can make a small fortune in the boat charter business - the secret is to start out with a large fortune...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 15:24   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
you can make a small fortune in the boat charter business - the secret is to start out with a large fortune...
I think there are other businesses that could be more profitable. But on the other hand, maybe not as enjoyable?

Any business will require work, common sense and enough capital investment.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 09:59   #22

First, thanxz all for your "mostly" poss. input.

Sorry the ADE had a bigger slipstream than expected. But hear, hear, i'm now a silent partner is some geeky DJ hardware producing company. Won't make me rich but puts a "geeky nerd" in the right direction with some production cash and sales power.

And now a bit more detailed.

Deltasailor, I would like to here more about your experience here on the forum or in pm especially about the kind of yachts used and or the to often forgotten maintenance etc.

Cadence and belizesailor thanxz for the poss. vibe. O,and TheThunderbird i'm sure you mean well ;-}.

belizesailor, i've got the skills, was able to sail before I could bike and swim Appr. 6 yrs old) working on the paperwork (yachtmaster coastal coming feb to april) And for the cooking did it profesional for about 4 years. thanxs for pointing out some hurdels though.

jwing , nice, fresh way of looking at it. I will fore sure give it some thoughts, cheers.

Lepke shame that it didn't work out for you, good that you found out yourself. My girl and I gave ourself a certain amount of time and money to testdrive and judge with as least as possible sentiment.

charliehows and Cadence thanxz for beeing poss, btw Cadence can you be more specific ?

My girl and I planned the first year as "testyear" and will exam the costs, fun, headache, lessons, hangovers, profit and insomnia to see if our idea can carry us. If not we will think of something else.

Keep in mind; Use it or lose it.

For all of you a pile of Karma points, hope to hear more.

Grtz R
Old 28-10-2017, 10:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by robregje View Post

My girl and I planned the first year as "testyear" and will exam the costs, fun, headache, lessons, hangovers, profit and insomnia to see if our idea can carry us. If not we will think of something else.

Grtz R
I totally forgot to ask if any of you all has any experience with the
Dufour Gib'Sea 51

especially it's got 5 cabins. Any other suggestions for a boat.

Thanxz R

Old 28-10-2017, 11:10   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robregje View Post

Sorry the ADE had a bigger slipstream than expected. But hear, hear, i'm now a silent partner is some geeky DJ hardware producing company. Won't make me rich but puts a "geeky nerd" in the right direction with some production cash and sales power.

And now a bit more detailed.

Deltasailor, I would like to here more about your experience here on the forum or in pm especially about the kind of yachts used and or the to often forgotten maintenance etc.

Cadence and belizesailor thanxz for the poss. vibe. O,and TheThunderbird i'm sure you mean well ;-}.

belizesailor, i've got the skills, was able to sail before I could bike and swim Appr. 6 yrs old) working on the paperwork (yachtmaster coastal coming feb to april) And for the cooking did it profesional for about 4 years. thanxs for pointing out some hurdels though.

jwing , nice, fresh way of looking at it. I will fore sure give it some thoughts, cheers.

Lepke shame that it didn't work out for you, good that you found out yourself. My girl and I gave ourself a certain amount of time and money to testdrive and judge with as least as possible sentiment.

charliehows and Cadence thanxz for beeing poss, btw Cadence can you be more specific ?

Grtz R
To be more specific? Most small fledgling businesses go tits up for two reasons. Lack of sufficient funding or knowledge as in a pipe dream. I wish you well. Just insure you have both.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 11:36   #25

Dear Cadence,

Thanxz, double Karma for you. Will post on this site the pro's and the neg's of the whole first year. rom getting the papers till payment of the boat. Might even bug you with some pm's if thats ok.

Grtz R
Old 28-10-2017, 16:18   #26

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
To be more specific? Most small fledgling businesses go tits up for two reasons. Lack of sufficient funding or knowledge as in a pipe dream. I wish you well. Just insure you have both.
You can have a great idea and loads of cash and still fail...the dot-bomb era proved that many times over...many cool tech ideas w loads of VC cash failed...why?:

Lack of good sales and marketting is big cause....surprising how many biz owners just dont get that. If you build a better mouse trap, and the world doesnt know it exists....then you fail. If you hobble together some plagerized ideas into a poor quality tech solution, but outflank everyone in sales, marketting, and biz strategy...well then...your name is Bill Gates!

I have a VC friend who's VC group incubates tech start ups, but to get the $s they must also follow the sales and marketting guidance.

To be successful in the charter biz you must promote and sell effectively...or the boat sits idle while you bleed money.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2017, 18:39   #27

Dear belizesailor,

Your totally right,I saw in your profile that most of what you say is experience instead of with most "just googled their knowledge". As for the grand scheme of things, our business plan. this an ongoing rewriting, tuning and now and then even fine tuning. In which marketing is good for almost a quarter of the year one budget. This is inc. purchase of a boat and upgrading.

Nice to hear.

Grtz R