Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 06:22   #1

Stainless steel or ceramic

Looking at some old boats, most of them have the stainless steel bathroom sink.

I may replace it with a new ceramic material. Honestly, I don't understand why the stainless steel sink is used on the boat. I wonder it may develop the stubborn rust for a certain time.

Would it be better to use ceramic rather steel? in fact, it depends if we can refit the new one.
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 07:06   #2

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25
Re: stainless steel or ceramic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
...Honestly, I don't understand why the stainless steel sink is used on the boat. ...
Because it works just fine.

Recent thread on using saltwater in the sink: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nk-176709.html.

Post 9 has a side-by-side with and without salt water after 30 years. Sink is spotless, some corrosion on the (unknown) metal drain fittings, which are replaceable.
wyb2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 07:24   #3

Thanks for your reply wyb2

However, they didn't mention any ceramic bathroom sink and even didn't compare between stainless steel and ceramic material.

Can anyone tell me if the bathroom sink with ceramic is better than stainless steel. The ceramic bathroom sink does look more contemporary?
Aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 07:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

It doesn't really matter which you use. Go with what suits you.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 07:29   #5

Boat: St Francis 50

Ceramics weigh more and can crack.
Catalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 08:22   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalysis View Post
Ceramics weigh more and can crack.
Indeed. Boats are not static things. The "furniture", meaning the cabinetry, can flex with the hull to which it's mounted. Indeed, if it didn't, it would crack or would damage the hull. Throw in a ceramic sink. Clearly, an SS sink can flex a bit whereas ceramic sinks cannot. I know what I would rather fall against, too.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 08:25   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Had stainless steel galley sinks in all our boats up tp 30 years old with never a problem. Yes, they may scuff up a little but nothing a bit of household cleaner polish will not fix.
The big problem is that anything that is flexible enough to be serviceable as a galley sink, is not inpermeable and hence tends to stain with tea, coffee etc and requires strong cleaners to restore the colour, not so envirionmentally friendly and which in turn attacks the surface of the composite
Bathroom sinks are a different matter, being less subject to staining and seem to last very well
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 08:59   #8

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I think the answer is what you're going to be doing on the boat -

Think Offshore (boat heeled, choppy, lots of flexing going on) probably stainless because it's utilitarian, easy to clean, the surface is not as hard when you drop something in it - or your feet go out from under you and you hit your chin on the edge (go ahead, ask me how I know).

OR

You're somplace sublime,( gentle breezes, palm trees, the couple from up the dock are coming over in an hour for a bite to eat) probably the ceramic sink would work just fine, it looks good and it makes you proud of your boat.

Not everyone is Tristan Jones. We are all types and as long as the sink fits the type of sailing you are doing, go for it. Purists be damned!

If you want one, I recommend you get one.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:02   #9

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

I have both. Stainless in galley. Ceramic in head. This may sound dumb but I like the feel of the ceramic in the head. Both work fine and have been used since 1978.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 09:26   #10

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Had a carbon fiber one for a while. High CDI factor.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:00   #11

Most of the races I have been involved in depend on the sink for a place to toss drink cans and other things when being tidy is unexpected and at times not possible. SS has proven itself over the years.
BrianGJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 10:15   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

I would be far more concerned with the rest of the boat, not the sink.

There are more choices than stainless steel or ceramic. My boat has a stainless steel galley sink and an acrylic sink in the head, molded into the counter. Acrylic is lightweight and unlikely to crack.

A home center or a large RV center will have lots of choices. Buy the boat you like, then change the sink(s) out if you don't like what comes with the boat.
Old 21-12-2016, 10:45   #13

Boat: Currently in between

Could the answer be as simple as:

"If ceramic was better, the builder would probably have used it."

Buying in bulk, as a builder would do, there probably isn't that big a price difference is there? So I would think they use stainless for a reason.. But who am I..?
Old 21-12-2016, 11:04   #14

Ceramic can be fine, but the ceramic sink in one of my house bathrooms is actually rusting! Fresh water only!
The advantage of SS sinks to me is you can get them deeper than many household sinks. Most often the little sink in the head on boats is small and shallow, If I was doing that sink setup I would get a small ss bar sink with some depth to it.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:09   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

My stainless galley and head sinks get light rust spots or streaks, but neither has ever chipped or cracked, etc. despite occasional mistreatment, including the galley sink receiving pans unintentionally overheated. IF someone really likes or wants ceramic, I do not see why not. Possibly sacrificing some utility for something else you want is a choice that sailing still provides.

Tags
steel