Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 18:08   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Options for Keeping a Cat in S. CA...

Hi,

My wife and I are trying to figure out where to land once I leave the trenches... I like S. FLA she likes CA because it's closer to Japan... I don't dislike S. CA but it is very expensive, still, if it makes it all work, than perhaps I would do it... but there are two things that are show stoppers for me, 1- it has to be warm in the winter and 2-I have to live within 1hr of my boat and we both agree the Ks need to attend one of the top 100 public HSs in the state... all this comes together in Orange county... so I looked at Dana Point Marina and if I am reading this right, they have about at 12-15 YEAR waiting list for a 45' slip... geeze... Santa Barbara looks like a mess too... perhaps someone out there could offer up some suggestions for locations where one could get a slip for a Catamaran...

Appreciate any guidance in this regard...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:41   #2

Boat: 48 Californian
Re: Options for keeping a Cat in S. CA...

First, Thank-you for doing what you do so we can do what we do! Do you own this cat yet? If not it may be best to buy in SoCal and keep the slip it is on. Check Ventura and Oxnard for slips. Both have good schools. A slip for a 45 ft cat in Santa Barbara would probably cost 300K but there is probably one available. Good Luck Sir.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 18:54   #3

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

300k for Just a Slip in Ca,!!!!!!!! Joly Cr#$%#,, Housing prices in Florida are great compared to CA, you get twice the house , heck you can buy a nice waterfront home in Florida, and keep your cat at it, for what a small shack costs in CA.Thanks for Serving! Tons of waterfront real estate with deep water access for cheap in Florida. Most will be on the gulf side but great year round sailing, and close to the keys, and Caribbean. You could always find a nice cat down in the islands for a deal and sail it back to Florida. A friend just bought a 5 bedroom 3 bath s car garage with direct deep water access up to a 60' boat and paid less then 280k for the house and land!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:02   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Don't know if this helps but you can travel a long way up the north end of San Francisco Bay toward Sacramanto. You could park in Napa or transit canals all the way to Sacramento.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:11   #5

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat

Thanks...I have to second the "Holy C...." on a $300k slip... FLA is looking better all the time... Not sure if other SoCal marina's are like Dana Point, but they have a clause stating the slips are not transferrable... they apparently can not go with the boat at least in that marina.. by the way, the slip rate (if one could get one) are very reasonable at about $850/mth for a 45' slip at Dana Point...includes power and cable...

We have/are looking seriously at the SFO area (Dublin)... I do like the bay, just wish it was warmer in the winter...

Also, I might have mislead above... not currently in the forces... but have the utmost respect for those who are... the "trenches" I am in are all of the corporate in making
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 19:44   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You might find the waterway well upstream & away from SF bay a lot warmer. 2010 Tiburon Yacht Club Cruise to Napa Valley Yacht Club
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 21:41   #7

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
You could buy a mooring in Newport beach for about $30,000
Old 16-02-2012, 15:20   #8
JRM

Boat: Valiant 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyndance II
First, Thank-you for doing what you do so we can do what we do! Do you own this cat yet? If not it may be best to buy in SoCal and keep the slip it is on. Check Ventura and Oxnard for slips. Both have good schools. A slip for a 45 ft cat in Santa Barbara would probably cost 300K but there is probably one available. Good Luck Sir.
The only place to put a cat in SB would be an end-tie, and they're rare and expensive. There are a couple of great private schools in Ventura and T.O., but you'd be nuts to put your kid in a public school in Oxnard. I work in Oxnard and live in Santa Barbara (ok, just north of SB almost to Goleta). I can be in Ventura Harbor in 35 minutes, and Channel Islands harbor in 45 from my house.

SB harbor has the "pay to transfer" the slip deal going, and they're crazy expensive, and require cash. Ventura and CI harbors both only require first and last as a deposit, no six figure buy-ins. A couple of years ago they opened a big section of CI harbor north of the bridge, and most of the powerboaters went there. Freed up a bunch of slips before the bridge.

An added bonus of staying in CI or Ventura is that they're half the distance to the islands and a much easier shot to the backside of them. Living aboard is more expensive but easier to get a permit, as well.

I'd pick your school first, then figure out where to park the boat. I work for the city of Oxnard, and used to work in CI harbor (still do, on occasion). The admiral is a teacher. Feel free to ask any questions, if I can't answer them I can put you in touch with someone who can...

JRM
JRM is offline   Reply With Quote