Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2008, 08:18   #1

Boat: none
Making cash fixing stuff?

Hello all,
How feasable is it to make some extra cash fixing things that go wrong on other peoples boats? I used to fix cameras and now I fix computers, and other electronic devices.

Cheers
John_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 09:24   #2

Lots of factors you didnt list there.

Where are you? In antarctica you wont get any money because no boats will be there. In Ensenada there will be nobody with any money (because the monied boats either dont stop there or they just left SD and are fine).

So anyway, lots of variables. I guess it isnt much different from the rest of life. Can you make money at home fixing people's boats?

Not much changes out there, still people, still towns with resources.

I will say though, that it costs money to cruise, can be done cheaply but I wouldnt count on odd jobs to fund your cruise. I have run into more than a few deadbeat cruisers who have no money and hope they can earn it along the way. Very few of them were earning a living cruising and not very few were freeloading.

Not saying it cant be done but I can say it seems like "out there" is analogous to "back here" my buddy the sailmaker makes money "out there" but he was a sailmaker at home and made money doing it there too.

Cheers,
Adam Yuret
s/v Estrella
Magellan 36' Ketch
www.sailestrella.com
AdamY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 09:41   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

John, in the US everyone has a son/nephew/neighbor who fixes computers on the cheap. It can be a hard racket to make a buck in, since the kids have no overhead or expenses.

Everyone needs a Mr. Fixit, the question is, how to get a reputation and get folks to pay for it.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 09:46   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
When I sailed to Mexico I met a couple that was going to return to Canada. They had spent all their money just getting to Cabo, by adding more, and more equipment. He had listened to people saying you can't do it, work.

Another couple down the dock needed a head gasket, and I convinced this guy to do the job, and he did. 6 months later I ran into him in P.V., and they were on their way to Tahiti. He had made enough money to continue on, and had the confidence his hands would always feed them. IT CAN BE DONE, but it isn't easy.......BEST WISHES
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 10:00   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
If you have an in demand skill- engines, refrigeration, canvas work, that sort of stuff you can make an income, just as you could in a land based life. If electronics fail most cruisers buy another one, electronics are very cheap. a lot of it depends where you are; if you are on an atoll in the pacific most/ all of the people who are at anchor there are totally self sufficient, it may be different in Mexico.
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 10:33   #6

Thanks for all advice,
First and formost I love fixing stuff and I am good at it, from leaky toilets to all maner of mechanical / electrical/ computing equipment
Every job I have had since leaving school for the most part involved fixing
something or other.

However, I am also a realist, when I finally do this we would have the means to support ourselves as well as a little shore income from various sources.

This would only be a little extra cash in my pocket, as well as a chance to meet others.

Cheers again,
Old 24-04-2008, 10:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhosyn Mor View Post
If you have an in demand skill- engines, refrigeration, canvas work, that sort of stuff you can make an income, just as you could in a land based life. If electronics fail most cruisers buy another one, electronics are very cheap. a lot of it depends where you are; if you are on an atoll in the pacific most/ all of the people who are at anchor there are totally self sufficient, it may be different in Mexico.
Thanks,
That seems to be true land side as well. I am good with Engines though.
Old 25-04-2008, 05:04   #8

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
Hard to drum up business as a transient, I'd think. You could probably find a full plate of work in a crowded harbor as a skilled diesel mechanic, but who would know to ask you?

Do busy marinas often hire transients with skills?
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote