Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2023, 10:52   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Insurance (liability) – Singlehanders

Do insurance companies provide insurance cover to singlehanders?

I was talking to one agent and they said it was not available beyond coastal day sailing due to rulings by the International Maritime Law courts on the failure of singlehanders to maintain an adequate watch. Even so, it does seem to be available to meet marina and boatyard insurance requirements.

While I can self-insure for the hull value, I would prefer liability insurance cover for both dock and sea. I cannot self-insure for liability.
Casablanca1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2023, 10:59   #2

Boat: 1980 Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster
Re: Insurance (liability) – Singlehanders

Never been asked about crew, although only do Bahamas.
cr180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 11:34   #3

Received a response from TopSail Insurance.

"Singlehanded sailing: This policy covers you for singlehanded sailing for a maximum of up to 24 hours in any 36-hour period provided the Vessel is set up and suitably equipped for such sailing and you have the appropriate experience."

TopSail will not provide coverage in the USA for USA owned/flagged vessels. They will provide coverage for world-wide coverage (ex USA) for USA owned/flagged vessels. Third party (liability) only policies are not available for USA owned/flagged vessels.
Old 24-05-2023, 13:49   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

You can get liability insurance most anywhere,

Mine is with State Farm which is around $12/month. This since 2011.

I only got it because I was forced to. $500,000 worth as required by my marina.

Not sure why you would even mention whether you sail with crew or single handed.

I sail single handed most of the time.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 13:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Not sure why you would even mention whether you sail with crew or single handed.
Insurance companies may issue a policy, but they will only cover a claim if all conditions/restrictions are complied with.

Probably not an issue with covering claims related to marinas/boat yards, but it could be an issue while at sea.
Old 24-05-2023, 14:08   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca1942 View Post
Insurance companies may issue a policy, but they will only cover a claim if all conditions/restrictions are complied with.

Probably not an issue with covering claims related to marinas/boat yards, but it could be an issue while at sea.
You are mainly near other boats at your marina or your boatyard.

Usually while at sea, you are not within miles of other boats.

I can usually spot a few boats miles away and that is in the Chesapeake Bay.

Out in the Ocean, you are lucky if see any boats once you get offshore a ways..

Maybe you might get close at anchor if you like to sail to places where everyone else likes to sail then anchor in the crowd.
Old 24-05-2023, 14:11   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
You can get liability insurance most anywhere,

Mine is with State Farm which is around $12/month. This since 2011.

I only got it because I was forced to. $500,000 worth as required by my marina.

I sail single handed most of the time.
Most policies contain some wording about single handing, and you don't have to mention it. For example... here is mine:

Quote:
By accepting this policy you warrant that, upon the commencement of any passage any part of which shall be during the Policy Period and which could reasonably be expected to be of greater duration than twenty-four hours, the Vessel shall, in addition to the captain, be crewed by at least one other able crewmember anticipated to remain aboard for the duration of the passage. A passage shall be deemed to have ended upon the commencement of a period during which the Vessel is securely moored for at least twelve hours. If this warranty is breached, then this policy shall be suspended from the moment of the breach until twenty-four hours after the breach has been cured.
The issue for any underwriter is that nobody can make a reasonable argument that they maintained a full watch for more than 24 hours straight by themselves. So in any accident that causes damage or injury to another boat you will pretty much automatically be determined to be AT LEAST 50% at fault, and the underwriter is going to be on the hook for it.

I actually think the wording from my underwriter is quite reasonable since it gives you a break if you get caught out for a time longer than might be "reasonably expected." It would also cover you if your only crew was med-evaced despite being "anticipated" to remain aboard.

Other language in a policy can be a gotcha in you are on an extended single handed passage. Something about "good seamanship" could easily be called into play if you were on a week long passage by yourself.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 14:23   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Most policies contain some wording about single handing, and you don't have to mention it. For example... here is mine:

The issue for any underwriter is that nobody can make a reasonable argument that they maintained a full watch for more than 24 hours straight by themselves. So in any accident that causes damage or injury to another boat you will pretty much automatically be determined to be AT LEAST 50% at fault, and the underwriter is going to be on the hook for it.

I actually think the wording from my underwriter is quite reasonable since it gives you a break if you get caught out for a time longer than might be "reasonably expected." It would also cover you if your only crew was med-evaced despite being "anticipated" to remain aboard.

Other language in a policy can be a gotcha in you are on an extended single handed passage. Something about "good seamanship" could easily be called into play if you were on a week long passage by yourself.
Like I said before, usually once out at sea you are rarely near any other boats.

Plus these days we have AIS with CPA Alarms and on top of that radar reflectors.

Once back within 50 miles or so of shore you will not sleep much due to possible traffic.

On top of all that, the OP appears to still be searching for a boat.

It will be quite a while before he attempts a plus 24 hour trip offshore once he sees what it takes to do as a singlehander.
Old 24-05-2023, 19:37   #9

I hear your argument, and it has three points:

It is a big ocean so collisions at sea do not happen,
With AIS staying awake on watch is outdated and un-necessary, and
No watch stander will fall asleep (much) where there is traffic.

Excuse me if I am unconvinced by any of those.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, single