Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2012, 18:24   #1

European Brokers

I am new to the joys of sailboating, I am liking it, and was looking at boat sellers. I notice that there are dealers and brokers? I also notice some brokers in Europe that will sell a new boat for much, much cheaper than that same boat might be purchased state-side. Are those prices correct that they list? TIA, Mark with many more to come
NWPlunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2012, 00:08   #2

Boat: DeFever 58
Re: European brokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWPlunker View Post
I also notice some brokers in Europe that will sell a new boat for much, much cheaper than that same boat might be purchased state-side. Are those prices correct that they list?
I'm in the UK, and although boats here have become cheaper (especially after adding tax to boat diesel) they are not as inexpensive as in the US from my experience. I have a friend who is now in Canada and he keeps sending me picture of boats for sale there telling me how much cheaper they are than in the UK.

Boats are cheaper in some of the other European countries, however you'll have to pay the unpaid VAT on them if you import back. Poor laws regarding buyer protection also put me off, and I was once stung badly in Malta. My advice is buy from home. If you get sold a lemon you can navigate the law better and enjoy its protection.

... Fizz
Fizzwizz is offline   Reply With Quote