Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 03:38   #46

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: 4 years until we cruise, What to use the GI Bill for

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if the op is so broken as to not be able to pass uscg capt license physical, then nursing is out. nursing is a heavy lifting and full body heavy use career choice.
he best go to diesel and electrician and electronix and refrigeration school to learn that which will save him millions of tears and dollars in repairing bills.
Yeah, plus many nurses work 12 hour shifts mostly on their feet. Most military jobs are nowhere near that tough unless you are an actually soldier or on the deck of a carrier etc. I'm doubting he would be in good enough shape by the time he graduated for nursing

Then what if he became an ER Nurse? I understand it can be quite traumatic ... the things you see
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 04:24   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
if the op is so broken as to not be able to pass uscg capt license physical, then nursing is out. nursing is a heavy lifting and full body heavy use career choice.
he best go to diesel and electrician and electronix and refrigeration school to learn that which will save him millions of tears and dollars in repairing bills.
If it's that bad, it's probably going to kill diesel mechanic jobs as the contortions to get into a lot of engine rooms are killer. Still useful for work on your own boat but tough to make a job of it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 06:58   #48
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Yeah, plus many nurses work 12 hour shifts mostly on their feet. Most military jobs are nowhere near that tough unless you are an actually soldier or on the deck of a carrier etc. I'm doubting he would be in good enough shape by the time he graduated for nursing

Then what if he became an ER Nurse? I understand it can be quite traumatic ... the things you see
what ye see is not as bad as having to lift 350 pounds and clean all under and coming out..or being attacked by a screaming psychotic in such manner as to render ye useless, as has been done to other emergency room nurses in past history, or being shot dead while at work--yes they still shooting up emergency rooms. there is no easy work for a nurse. well, mebbe telephone triage in an urgent care center--but ye have to have a hundred years experience ... i only had 30+ so... oh yeah, and a 4 yr degree min-i only had ass degree so i wasnot allowed to have that much fun. ha ha ha oh but the hospitals bent that rule sooo nicely for me....
diesel mechanicry is a breeze next to emergency room nursing,hahahahaha
so--even in tight corners, diesel mechanicry wins.. or electrickery....another awesome choice... or plumbing..ye can lie down on job with plumbing with head under sink and nap a few hours and no one will know any difference.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 18:46   #49

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Our budget is fairly robust but Extra money is always nice haha. I just cant see myself becoming a nurse or mechanic for hire.

I can see me working on my own engine or electrical though. I am a fairly handy DIY guy so a little knowledge would help.

Again, thank you all for your input!
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2017, 21:07   #50

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahbrown View Post
Our budget is fairly robust but Extra money is always nice haha. I just cant see myself becoming a nurse or mechanic for hire.

I can see me working on my own engine or electrical though. I am a fairly handy DIY guy so a little knowledge would help.

Again, thank you all for your input!
Why not just get a job for the next four years that gives you more cushion for your cruising plans? As others have suggested, generating significant income while cruising is difficult.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2017, 08:18   #51

Boat: SOLD! 2005 Lagoon, 440, owners version

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
Why not just get a job for the next four years that gives you more cushion for your cruising plans? As others have suggested, generating significant income while cruising is difficult.
Of course I am working now... right now to be exact. It would be silly to just sit around and wait while doing nothing for 4 years. However I do have time for classes and if I found the right opportunity I could quit to learn full time.
Nahbrown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise