Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2023, 12:59   #1

Winter Boat Work|Storage|Live Space on Lake Ontario

Hey all! I am wondering where people store boats (35ft sailboat, in particular) so they can work on them in the winter months. I'm looking for a place somewhere between Mississauga and Hamilton, with access to power... or maybe even a roof? I would expect that if a boat is "stored," they probably don't want people working on them. If anyone has guidance... it would be greatly appreciated.
NorthernFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 13:31   #2

Re: Winter Boat Work|Storage|Live Space on Lake Ontario

If you wish to work on your boat during the winter, highly recommend that you store it indoors in a climate controlled building.

Torontoish snow, ice and cold makes for very unappealing and unproductive outdoor working location.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 13:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
If you wish to work on your boat during the winter, highly recommend that you store it indoors in a climate controlled building.
I appreciate that! I am hoping I can find something. Maybe some marina may offer it... or there are lots of barns around here.
Old 08-09-2023, 18:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CHB/MT D/C Trawler, 34'

Heated DIY friendly storage for a 34’ boat on Lake Erie near Toledo would run you about $4k for one winter. I would imagine Toronto prices would be higher.

HTH

Alan & Darina on “Sea Moose”
You Tube: The Adventures of Yorksie and Me

Currently wrapping up the loop on the Erie Canal just east of Onieda Lake
Moosemiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 18:41   #5

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

We're on the US side of the lake. Not including tax or rental of cradle of stands, this winter's price for haul/storage/launch at our home marina is $45/ft outside and $75/ft inside (unheated). They're fine with people doing work (and have power available) inside or out as long as you don't make a mess of the ground or neighboring boats.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 18:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosemiester View Post
Heated DIY friendly storage for a 34’ boat on Lake Erie near Toledo would run you about $4k for one winter.
Thanks for the pricing info! That's sort of what I would expect for it. But never considered a "storage facility." That may turn up gold. Again, very much appreciated. I hope the Erie is treating you right, and congrats on closing the Loop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
We're on the US side of the lake. This winter's price for haul/storage/launch at our home marina is $45/ft outside and $75/ft inside (unheated). They're fine with people doing work (and have power available) inside or out as long as you don't make a mess of the ground or neighbouring boats.
Fantastic to hear. I could have started by calling marinas... but the anxiety of stupid questions is a lot easier to bear here than in person. And the pricing isn't killer, considering. If my luck runs out here, I may be inbound on your 20 before snowfall. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2023, 08:37   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernFlow View Post
Hey all! I am wondering where people [around L Ontario] store boats (35ft sailboat, in particular) so they can work on them in the winter months.
Most larger sailboats up here are stored in a yacht-club or marina yard, with a frame over the whole deck and either a custom reusable cover ($$$) or shrink-wrap over that. Fire up a couple space heaters when desired, and you can do interior or deck work on milder days.

Outer Harbour Marina (Toronto) has a great big heated storage area. There are (or were) heated warehouses at the Port Credit Harbour, but that's all being wound down for a condo project.
Old 09-09-2023, 12:35   #8

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Outer Harbour Marina (Toronto) has a great big heated storage area.
Not cheap, at $25.50 per square foot. That's well over $10k. But there isn't much else that comes to mind for heated storage.

With shrink wrap there are many days you can comfortably work aboard with a space heater going. It's not a bad option if you have power.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 13:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Typical Great Lakes boatyards offer outside, inside cold, and sometimes inside heated. Heated meaning just 5 degrees C over freezing, so don’t think summer temps. Most allow work during winter, but limit inside work for safety - no open flame or sanding are typical rules. If you’re Cold, many of your chemicals or paint will not work in freezing temps, so read labels before booking space. They will also demand proof of liability insurance and may offer a discount for early payment (like September pre-pay). If you’re outside, you should invest in good covers and visit her at least monthly to check on the cover, particularly after storms. Ice will tear up your deck. A custom cover will pay for itself in about 4 years compared to shrink wrap. Lifting and splashing, yard blocking, rental jacks, may all be additional fees, so ask about the final charges before comparing. Remember to tip the crane and yard men that are handling your baby.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 13:42   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
the Port Credit Harbour, but that's all being wound down for a condo project.
Port Credit has never had heated storage and the marina just got a 5 yr. lease extension.
Old 10-09-2023, 08:32   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Port Credit has never had heated storage and the marina just got a 5 yr. lease extension.
Thanks for the correction; I was under the (mistaken) impression that those warehouse spaces were used for storage and boatwork over the winter. Maybe it was just Bristol.
Old 10-09-2023, 11:54   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks for the correction; I was under the (mistaken) impression that those warehouse spaces were used for storage and boatwork over the winter. Maybe it was just Bristol.
It was just Bristol, they went belly up 2 yrs ago. They had tons of work but couldn't get enough qualified workers as the old crew retired or died off. Warehouse was for cold storage, a few of the big doors remain open all winter.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:57   #13

Quote:
Most larger sailboats up here are stored in a yacht-club or marina yard, with a frame over the whole deck and either a custom reusable cover ($$$) or shrink-wrap over that.

Outer Harbour Marina (Toronto) has a great big heated storage area. There are (or were) heated warehouses at the Port Credit Harbour, but that's all being wound down for a condo project.
That's sounding like some possibility there. Not TO harbour, though, as I work out in Halton Region so closer is better. I dropped by PCYC last week to take a look but... fences. They lock that place up pretty tight. But the PCH would be perfect.

Condos over heated boat works, though... sounds like a bad move from where I sit.

Thanks for the info, my friend!
Old 11-09-2023, 10:15   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Indoor space is always a challenge, but I've always worked on my boats in the winter outdoors. I don't know of a marina/club that doesn't allow it. Last winter in particular was pretty easy to heat spaces in the boat to work. I reglassed my entire aft head in January, just by keeping the door closed and running a little cube heater and using the fast cure hardener in my epoxy. Just have to keep the heat going and plan the work so that you can get the surfaces up to temperature and the YOU stick around doing other work while its curing. stay in the upper single digits (celcius) while working with the epoxy and then get the space up to solid 20's (often 25c in my case) and keep the space there for at least 8-12 hours before turning off the heat Never never never leave your boat heating with space heaters while unattended!!!

you can do a lot of prep work in the cold! We have dock neighbours that redid their decks last winter with heaters on deck and in the cabin
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 10:32   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Typical Great Lakes boatyards offer outside, inside cold, and sometimes inside heated... Remember to tip the crane and yard men that are handling your baby.
So many good notes from your reply, JT! All of it is appreciated. Especially the bit about sanding/open flame inside. I would expect any work I do will involve both so that will need to be part of the discussions. Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Interesting! Also, good to know condos won't be taking over the marina, as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
You can do a lot of prep work in the cold! We have dock neighbours that redid their decks last winter with heaters on deck and in the cabin
Epoxy in January... you are a hero! I'm starting to feel a bit better about my options. Knowing people do this stuff makes it seems a little less crazy of an idea. Only a little, though.

Thanks very much for the reply. And yes, I think i heard you. Leave immediately after completing last coat of epoxy and take heaters, too. Got it!

Tags
boat, lake ontario, ontario, storage, winter, work