Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2013, 10:05   #16

Boat: Ericson 27
Re: Summer passes, sailing season too

Julie, I was thinking of posting something similar today.. I was so close to getting my boat this summer, and I found one last weekend that suited me fine, but it's 500 miles from the marina, it would cost my entire budget, and the marina wants my first born child as a deposit, along with a dozen other fees. Looks like I am looking over the fall and winter - maybe Boatman61 is right and I will find my boat when the snow is flying and the winter storage costs are piling up! Good luck and I hope we're both afloat next year!
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 11:54   #17

We did a 3000 mile trek over the summer from Chicago to Annapolis to New Jersey, NY, CT and RI looking for THE boat. We certainly learned a lot but driving from place to place just to see boats got old after a while.

Initially we had heard shipping the boat back here would run around $3K. But the more we researched it, the higher the overall cost, after taking prep work into the equation. When we were seeing over double what we thought, we started rethinking our strategy.

We're still keeping our eyes peeled but we're only focusing now on boats close enough to Chicago that we can sail them back here in two weeks or less. And still hanging in the air is a possible job transfer for my SO. Though I'm thinking that's not really going to happen soon.

Here's to sailing next summer!
Julie Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 13:08   #18

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

we sail all year round - unless the harbour freezes over

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 13:12   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb
we sail all year round - unless the harbour freezes over

Season?! What's that? Sail year round. If it's cold, just put on more clothing. Why God invented Goretex. I love sailing in winter.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 13:31   #20
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we dont sail in furycames--but winter is awesome sailing here.
summer is good between named storms.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 14:09   #21

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

In Oregon we can leave our boats in the water year-round so I sail, work on the boat, and used her as my man-cave before I moved on-board. On land I ski and hike. We have the saying here, "there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing".

Think I agree with Boatman61 too. I bought the boat in early Fall, and we have cool but dry weather Sept-Nov. We lifted her for the survey, so I bottom painted and replaced zinc while she was out. Is dry storage much more that slip fees? Seems like one's gonna pay for a winter storage sooner or later and it was really nice for me to have those months to adjust and fix things before spring.
Old 22-10-2013, 10:51   #22

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Mor View Post

How do you handle the winter blues?

Turn on the kero heater, turn up the radio for some rock n roll, and get on with rebuilding the boat. (been on the hard for 5 years now). Get dirty, tired and go home with a sense of accomplishment that has been missing from my regular job for 15 years now.

Go on line and check out who is going to be at the boat show this year in Toronto. I've got an order to place with Garhauer, and who knows what else will be bought in the cold icy months and stashed for summer sunshine?

Pull out the charts and dream of warmer places and cool drinks.

Work on my sailing novel, only 5 more chapters til its done.

Spring will be here in due time, the secret is not to waste the dark months.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 06:16   #23

Boat: Beneteau 423
[QUOTE="SabreKai;1371233"] Turn on the kero heater, turn up the radio for some rock n roll, and get on with rebuilding the boat. (been on the hard for 5 years now). Get dirty, tired and go home with a sense of accomplishment that has been missing from my regular job for 15 years now. Go on line and check out who is going to be at the boat show this year in Toronto. I've got an order to place with Garhauer, and who knows what else will be bought in the cold icy months and stashed for summer sunshine? Pull out the charts and dream of warmer places and cool drinks. Work on my sailing novel, only 5 more chapters til its done. Spring will be here in due time, the secret is not to waste the dark months.[/QUOTE

I kinda like the off season here in northwest Ohio. The boat was pulled a couple of weeks ago and I'm halfway through my project list The weather was just right to completely redo my teak and it looks fabulous. I also redid my rudder with Interlux 2000 and just have a couple of small areas on the keel to redo. I may even repaint my bottom this fall. My plan is to have everything done before spring - that way we're ready to go in early April.
Tonyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 07:13   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:

Well the short answer is to head south.

But seriously it is not too difficult or time consuming to put a boat to bed up here. (Toronto). We do the work ourselves as we are in a self-help club.

The week before haulout we unstep and store the mast. About half a day at my slow pace.

Just before the boat comes out of the water we drain and winterize the fw system. Two hours mostly to ensure all the water is out of the boat, using a wet-vac.

When the boat is on the hard we winterize the engine, about an hour's work. Also put antifreeze is fridge drain etc.

The most time consuming part is emptying the boat of all our stuff and taking the dink and all the upholstery home.

Actually it's good to do this every year as you get to examine many things on the boat. This year I found the luff tape at the head of my genoa had a little tear in it. If I didn't have to unstep the mast I would not have found this and in all probability would have had a more serious repair if I had continued sailing with it in that condition.

Boat's in the cradle, batteries all topped up. Will be back to see her in late May.
Old 24-10-2013, 07:51   #25

Boat: Scanmar 40

Well, here in the Uk I will be taking ownership of my new boat in January and sailing her up the North Sea home to Lowestoft. Double layers of thermals will be called for but it should be fun. I agree that there can be some great days sailing in winter but not extended cruising as the cold can get to you without you knowing.
Andy
AndytheSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 08:08   #26

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
When it's safe to climb the ladder we work inside the boat doing motor maintenance, cleaning and organization, and installs of things that don't need caulk or epoxy to set. This winter will be an electronics refit.

Today we have our first accumulating snow. I won't miss this when we head south someday but that isn't anytime soon. Until then I dream and putter in the off season.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 09:22   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:

I spent my first 24 years in Canada. I live in a repetitively warm climate now. But that even seems a grind at times. This year will find me in Mexico. At least i get a break from one winter. The boat probably will not come back to the US, but stay where the sun kisses the sand.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2013, 10:51   #28

This is a specific and important reason why my wife and I chose to relocate to Florida.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2013, 17:47   #29

Boat: Beneteau 423
We spend 9 months on the Great Lakes and three months in the Keys. It's the great compromise: no salt corrosion no hurricanes no hot humid/wet summers.
Tonyjay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing