Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 20:33   #46

Boat: Bayliner 3870 41' oal.
Re: Question for Lake Michigan cruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Recommend you get a Great Lakes cruising guide. Lists phone numbers and critical information about ports all along the way.

We all have made the assumption you are taking the rum-line from Chicago. The West coast is an option too and you can run a lee shore all the way based on prevailing wind. It might not be as many extra miles as one might think.

I have a Great Lakes cruising guide, my 1st thought was going up the west side because I thought it would be a smoother ride, but the east side has the appeal of numerous marinas if we have any mechanical problems. Now I just hope that by the 1st of June the ice is gone and we will be able to leave the Chicago area. The good thing is we have all the time required for a safe passage, we'll not be out if the weather forecast is the least bit iffy or after dark.
River Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 21:10   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Definitely options on the Michigan side. I have not spent a lot of time on the Wisconsin side other than Milwaukee & Green Bay. If you do go west, the harbor in Milwaukee is large with many opportunities. There are state DNR docks (water & elec but no toilets !!!). I see Sheboygen has a deep entry. Manitowok has a Ferry dock so it has a protected harbor. Two Rivers will not give much protection in an Easter. The Sturgeon Bay ship canal at the base of the Dorr Peninsula is one of the best hiding places on the lakes if there is bad weather. Several clubs will handle you. Eventually, you have to transit the north of Lake Michigan and there are not so many safe places there.

If you truly have time to kill, consider the North Channel. On your way there, find shelter in Les Cheneaux Islands. We stayed in Government Bay. The NC has been rated one of the top ten world cruising destinations. There are guides for this place alone but your Great Lakes guide is pretty good. You will need to check in to Canadian Customs (Meldrum Bay on W end of Manatoulin Island) You need Canadian hydrographic charts. Recent soundings make these pretty good.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 18:16   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You might be tepmpte into Leelanau. Its unprotected and tight. We could not turn around with multiple thrusters. S Manitou or Northport are the closest.

I just heard from my brother in Marquette today. I attached his March 5 photo from the top of the hospital facing east towards Munising. Nothing but ice.

You can make it most of the way to the straights but I saw the satellite photo today. Straights, Mackinaw and the North Channel still iced in.

Keep us posted. If you lay over in Muskegon, perhaps we may see you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05MAY2014.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	80588  
Old 07-05-2014, 19:53   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just found these links you might find useful.

Will Lake Superior still have ice in June? | Duluth News Tribune

This link shows very useful information concerning ice location and thickness.

Great Lakes Ice Page | Watts Up With That?

http://data.glos.us/portal/ LAKES DATA
Old 27-05-2014, 18:10   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The answer for lake Superior is YES - Ice in June.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27 MAY 2014 MARQUETTE BEACH 1.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	81998   Click image for larger version

Name:	27 MAY 2014 MARQUETTE BEACH 2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	81999  

Name:	27 MAY 2014 MARQUETTE BEACH 3.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	82000  
Old 27-05-2014, 18:26   #51

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

River Cruiser... Lake Michigan is free of ice and ready to cruise. Strongly suggest heading up the east side of the Lake. Make sure you stop in South Haven. Three municipal marinas available. Choose the Northside (brand new) or Southside. Downtown with restaurants, hardware, groceries, coffee, etc immediately available. Great hospitality at the South Haven Yacht Club. Continue North to Grand Haven where downtown is also immediately available. Lots of great harbors and marinas on the east side of the Lake.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 12:27   #52

Boat: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Cruiser View Post
My 1st thought was going up the west side because I thought it would be a smoother ride, but the east side has the appeal of numerous marinas if we have any mechanical problems.
Lake Michigan is tricky when it comes to weather. It can get sloppy in a short amount of time in any part of the lake, really. I'd head up the MI side, myself. There are a lot more places to hide if you need to, and many of those towns are really pleasant. River Street Station in Manistee used to serve a pretty bitchin' burger.

On freighters, we beach comb whichever side looks quieter. I generally look http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/ for a good idea of the big picture.
Dave0549jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2014, 12:52   #53

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

If there is one season that is trickier than the others it would be spring. Winds box the compass and can go from zero to holy moly in a nanosecond. East winds in the spring are more common than in other seasons and they can be lively causing a lot of bumps out there. I would agree that the east side has more places to duck into and their marinas are less costly as well. If you are looking for an all around experience, the Great Lakes in spring will not disappoint.
Old 29-05-2014, 13:37   #54
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

You can check for freighter traffic anywhere in the world on this really cool AIS real time tracking site.
Take a look at the ships traffic in the English Channel and try to imagine crossing in the dark.
Old 29-05-2014, 16:55   #55

We are anchored in the cove on South Manitou islaland, beautiful place and calm as a pond. We had one day of traveling thru fog and one of 2 - 3' on the nose other than that it has been a great trip, I'll post a bunch of pics & videos when I get back to my boat on the Mississippi.
Old 29-05-2014, 17:44   #56

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

That harbor on S Manitou is a wonderful spot. I have been there several times, the first time when folks still lived there in the mid-60s. If you stay a few days take the hike up to the shipwreck Francisco Morazon, grounded in late 11/60 in a storm. Little is left of her and all is covered with guano. It is a beautiful island and has many structures left from when folks lived there. The lighthouse is open at times and you get a good view of the Manitou Passage and Sleeping Bear Dunes. Leland MI is a nice town nearby.

Great sport!
Old 30-05-2014, 09:06   #57

Boat: Kingston Aluminum Yacht 44' Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
You can check for freighter traffic anywhere in the world on this really cool AIS real time tracking site.
Take a look at the ships traffic in the English Channel and try to imagine crossing in the dark.
There's also an APP called Marine Traffic that you can get for your phone that works pretty well.

Make sure you let us know when you cross over into Lake Huron. I'm running up and down there all the time. As slow as this old rig is, you might even pass me... haha.
Dave0549jv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 19:42   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldboatguy View Post
That harbor on S Manitou is a wonderful spot. I have been there several times, the first time when folks still lived there in the mid-60s. If you stay a few days take the hike up to the shipwreck Francisco Morazon, grounded in late 11/60 in a storm. Little is left of her and all is covered with guano. It is a beautiful island and has many structures left from when folks lived there. The lighthouse is open at times and you get a good view of the Manitou Passage and Sleeping Bear Dunes. Leland MI is a nice town nearby.

Great sport!
S Manitou definitely a port in a storm. We shot in there about 1:00 AM with the Admiral a bit roughed up and ready to hurl. The bay was like the proverbial mill pond. Head straight for the 22 to 14 foot area at the W side center. Its all sand. Do not even think about tying up to the ferry dock!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	S Manitou.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	82179  
Old 31-05-2014, 19:50   #59

The ferry dock is being rebuilt, there was a tug and a couple of work barges with equipment one with a crane driving new pilings by it. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1401591031.926656.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	82180
Old 03-06-2014, 15:31   #60

Boat: Telstar 28

River Cruiser,

Glad your trip is going well. We headed out of Houghton in the Upper Peninsula on Thursday. Had to pick our way though ice in several locations. Ended up anchoring amongst icebergs behind Little Presque Isle one night. Had to approach the locks in the fog. Had your on-the-nose winds and choppy 3-footers going to Mackinac Island. Hoping to hit South Manitou tomorrow night.
drsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser