Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 09:59   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Latest Great Lakes sail?

Well, I assume most if not all sailboats are on the hard.

21 years ago today my buddy and I sailed a Prindle 16 on Lake Ontario. It was a perfect day, light air, and sooooo quiet.

As we beached it we shifted weight aft to get the hulls up on the beach. My buddy end-overed backwards into the water LOL.

What's the latest you've sailed the lakes?

ps Ice boats don't count...ugh...waiting for the water to harden. This time of year stinks.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 06:41   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Latest Great Lakes sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Well, I assume most if not all sailboats are on the hard.

21 years ago today my buddy and I sailed a Prindle 16 on Lake Ontario. It was a perfect day, light air, and sooooo quiet.

As we beached it we shifted weight aft to get the hulls up on the beach. My buddy end-overed backwards into the water LOL.

What's the latest you've sailed the lakes?

ps Ice boats don't count...ugh...waiting for the water to harden. This time of year stinks.
One week delivery trip on a Gib'Sea 36, Parry Sound to Kingston (well, we ended up in Buffalo - another story), leaving on the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend. So make it mid-October.

It was stormy, cold, wet, and generally uncomfortable. It was also my second time ever on a sailboat, and I kept coming back for more. Make of that what you will.
Mirage35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 08:17   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

As for sailing, I've been on the water into mid-October, but the most ambitious (and in retrospect crazy) trip I did was when I helped sail a friend's C&C 29 from the north shore of Lake Superior (Marathon) to Sprague in the North Channel. It was early October and we were sniffing those gales that come early .
Old 05-12-2015, 08:37   #4

Last year, I was on Lake Ontario around Nov 6, sailing from our club to a launch-ramp and a late haulout. It was around 10 C, sunny and nice breeze. A really nice little sail.

Given how mild it's been this autumn, I kind of regret hauling out with everybody else at the end of Oct. Today and the upcoming week are predicted to be around 8 C. A little gift from El Niño.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 16:50   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

We get a week or two in November depending on how backed up the yard gets. They won't schedule a haul date after end of October. Might be nice to get a dry suit so I could sail the Laser on nice winter days.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes, sail