Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2024, 08:25   #1

Boat: Tartan 31
Cruising McGregor Bay

We did the express tour of the North Channel this past summer (2023) and plan to return for a more thorough cruise in 2024. I want to spend some time in McGregor Bay, north of Baie Finn, and I really want to get up into Iroquios Bay at the very top. I have CHS chart 2206, but some of the channels look pretty tight. Does anyone here have experience cruising McGregor Bay, and can you get up to Iroquios Bay with 4'6" draft? It mostly looks plenty deep but there are those few places where it looks like you have to shoehorn your way through.

Can you also recommend a cruising guide for the area? I'm considering joining the Great Lakes Cruising Club for their harbor reports and other information.

Thanks for any information you can provide.
Michigan_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:35   #2

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion
Re: Cruising McGregor Bay

Ive been into Iroquois Bay and around the north side of MacGregor Island in my 4' draft trawler to the park area. Deep water access to the area is possible through a couple of routes, but it's tricky and largely unmarked. The easiest way in is through the blasted channel between MacGregor and Iroquois Islands.

It's a lovely area, remote and largely empty of people. There are also great anchorages on the south/east side of MacGregor Island near the park boundaries.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 05:44   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 40 II

We did some exploring and anchoring on the SE side of MacGregor Bay - with a very shallow draft boat.

The Richardson’s Chartbook and Cruising Guide for Lake Huron and North Channel is the perfect complement to your chart. Note “chartbook”.

Lake Huron Chartbook & Cruising Guide, 8th Ed.Richardsons' Great Lakes and Inland WaterwaysLH8 - | Maptech

Wonderful area to enjoy!
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 07:27   #4

Boat: Tartan 31

Thanks for your replies. I have the Richardson's book for Lake Huron (8th ed.) but it does not include a chart for McGregor Bay, which I think is the only omission for the whole lake. *That's* frustration, but I have CHS 2206 anyway.

Yesterday I decided to just go ahead and join the GLCC (https://www.glcclub.com) and I'm glad I did! They have detailed guides to McGregor Bay and every other place you might want to visit.

I was not surprised that a couple of the narrow channels up through McGregor Bay had been blasted through.
Michigan_Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 14:06   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan_Eric View Post

Yesterday I decided to just go ahead and join the GLCC (https://www.glcclub.com) and I'm glad I did! They have detailed guides to McGregor Bay and every other place you might want to visit.

Welcome to the GLCC. We have a saying: New members join for the harbor (harbour) reports and stay for the people. It's a great group.

Tags
cruising