Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2010, 06:39   #1

Anchor Near Sandbanks?

This summer will be my first summer with my C&C 27 ~4.5ft draft

I would like to make a trip from Kingston area towards Toronto, not sure how far I'll venture, but would love to anchor near Sandbanks for a couple of days.

I see on my chartbook there is a marina in West Lake. Welland Government Wharf/Reelthing Fishing.

However my chartbook does not have detail on the depths going into West Lake, nor of the Lake depths in whole.

Any comments? Could I get into West Lake? Are there places to anchor once in other than going to Government Wharf?

Looking for Sheltered places to Anchor around the area
outdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 11:04   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Doesn’t look like a sailboat-friendly marina, to me.
Call West Lake Marina toll free @ 1-866-864-4974
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	westlakemarina.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	13851   Click image for larger version

Name:	WestLakeMarina-pic.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	13852  

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 15:25   #3

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat
On delivery of my boat from Chaumont, NY to Port Credit, Mississauga, ON, my brother and I decided perhaps we could stop at Wellington to clear customs and pick-up diesel as the boat had a faulty fuel gauge.
We got stuck in the entrance having a draft of 5+'. There was also no diesel to be had and it was recommended that we go to Brighton that has a range entrance but we did clear customs and did get too much diesel...had to buy the extra gerry can.
I did note that checking the Ports guide for Lake Ontario that Wellington is noted as having a shallow channel and that a call prior to entering is a good idea.
My advice would be to make Brighton your stop. Or, just do the Bay of Quinte and exit at Brighton.
jjones1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 21:28   #4

Boat: C309
Re: Anchor Near Sandbanks?

Stumbled onto this old thread so thought I would share some info if anyone has an interest in visiting Wellington Harbour on Lake Ontario, or venturing into West Lake behind the dunes of the Sandbanks. The channel to Wellington Harbour has been dredged every year for the last few years. I was last there with my Catalina 309 (draft 4'4") July 2013 and joined later by a C320. Depth in the channel then was 6'. For up to date depths contact The Reel Thing Fishing Pro Shop, they manage the harbour and docks. They can also provide guidance as to West Lake depths which are generally 4' to 10' and deeper in some spots. A few hours after we tied up at the Wellington Municipal pier in the harbour , two sloops (about 28' or so) entered the harbour and continued, rather slowly, into West Lake. Snapped a photo of them anchored off the dunes on a dinghy trip into West Lake the next day. Not sure what draft those sloops have, but assume 4' or slightly less.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wellington harbour.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	96160   Click image for larger version

Name:	west lake sailboats.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	414.2 KB
ID:	96161  

NauticEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 03:59   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, NauticEd.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 04:37   #6

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)

We were going to make that trip last summer when the lake levels were normal. The entrance to Welland at that time was just over 4 feet and I was advised not to enter. The harbour master said I might not make it and I draw 4.3 feet. Instead we went from Kingston to Waupoos Marina and then on from there. BTW are you docked in one of the Kingston marinas. We plan this year to sail from Kingston to Toronto
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2015, 08:47   #7

Boat: C309

We are in Oakville and will be sailing to Kingston this summer. Usually do a long trip every couple of years, and if the water levels are up (which they were in 2013) we will stop at Wellington again. More info here Wellington Harbour/Marina, Ontario, Canada Hopefully they will dredge this year, after, it appears, skipping last year. It's a nice place to stop when taking the outside route around PEC. And if you have a shallow enough draft, anchoring in West Lake behind the dunes looks like fun too!
NauticEd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor