Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2023, 09:12   #1

Boat: 1969 Frers custom, 39.5ft Sloop
Questus radar mount parts

Hey Folks - I'm attempting to install a used Questus gimbaled radar mount, and I'm missing a some components. I've emailed Questus a couple times and haven't received a reply, so I'm trying here.

I'm looking to either buy or see closeup photos of the backstay bushing and bushing housing (1 and 2), shown in the attached image. I have modest machining abilities and can make the parts myself, but it would be nice to have photos to go off of before I design my own solution. These parts appear to be molded plastic.

Price: You can decide the price if you have the parts, but I'll put somewhere around $100 if you think that's fair.

Thanks!
-Eric
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	questus parts.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	281082  
SVQuestOfPaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 09:52   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Questus radar mount parts

IIRC Questus was bought by one of the bigger rigging companies a long time ago. They last time I bought parts was over 10 years ago, and I got the impression at the time that I was lucky to buy them when I did. Good luck. Please post if you have any success.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2023, 11:52   #3

Boat: Currently boatless

Did you try calling them? I was able to buy some Questus parts a few years ago, but the guy I dealt with seemed to be operating from a garage or basement somewhere in Marblehead or Gloucester (don't remember where exactly)
Old 16-09-2023, 12:29   #4

Boat: Beneteau 423

Questus has gone through a couple of ownership changes.This is the most recent address I have. I bought a part from him two years ago.
Brad.Burton@albinpumpmarine.com
hlev00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2023, 08:49   #5

Thanks for the replies! If any of you presently have a Questus mount, do you happen to have photos of the parts?

I've emailed Brad, and will give the number on Questus' site a call tomorrow, and let you know what I hear.

The used mount I have needs refurbishing, as it doesn't gimbal properly at the moment. If I can't get a hold of anyone I'll do the work myself and reverse engineer the backstay bushing from the single photo I have.
-Eric
Old 18-09-2023, 06:28   #6

Boat: Beneteau 423

Our 2004 Questus has a rough spot in the gimbal such that it often gets stuck about 5 degrees off of level. The next wave healing us either way will free it so it generally works. I mention this as I sent it to Questus about eight years ago and they couldn't get it apart to repair, I think due to seized bolts or parts. So before you spend too much time on the insert see if you will be able to get the gimbal to work. I believe it is filled with oil.

I have a spare insert that I don't want to sell but will see if I can get you some photos and measurements if I get to the boat this week.

Good luck!
hlev00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2023, 11:49   #7

To follow up - I received a prompt reply from Brad. They do not refurbish old units, but still sell them new, and have the backstay sleeve parts that I need.

After draining the oil and disassembling it, the issue with mine is that the stainless steel shaft rotates on a thick aluminum face plate, with (I think) needle bearings set into an internal recess on the plate. It's clear that the aluminum plate has corroded around the shaft, causing it to lock into position. If I can free this up and get it moving, then I'll reassemble EVERYTHING with Tef-gel, and maybe it'll last a while yet.

Thanks again for the assistance!
Old 30-10-2023, 09:59   #8

To followup, I posted an update on how I cleaned up this old unit here: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3837182

Thanks again for the tips and information to get a hold of them.
-Eric

Tags
parts, radar