Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 07:39   #1

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Visiting in Southern California

Working in corona california , and have the weekend free. Gonna drive to the coast today and stomp around on some docks. Kinda checking it out for when we sail down to San Diego from the pacific northwest next summer. Anybody recommend any anchorages I should be sure to eyeball while I'm out and about today ? Prolly can't afford any marinas down here. Yikes , heard its line $15.00 ft. Out of my league.
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:59   #2

Boat: 48 Californian
Re: Visiting in southern ca

Anchorages are kind of scarce down here. If you like gazillion dollar homes and more expensive boats to view there is a 5 day public anchorage in Newport Harbor. There may be more or you could hop on the big cat and go to Avalon.
Vyndance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:02   #3

Big cat ? Avalon ? I'm all ears , just goofing around for the day. Where do you find the big cat ?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svsilvergirl View Post
Big cat ? Avalon ? I'm all ears , just goofing around for the day. Where do you find the big cat ?
Here ➥ Transportation - Visit Catalina Island - Avalon

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:22   #5

Thanks gord might just try and check that out today . What would I do without an iPhone
Old 03-12-2011, 08:27   #6

How long are you planning to stay in San Diego next summer? The public dock on Shelter Island allows you 15 days, and there are commercial slips there and on Harbor Island.

There is a Public anchorage for out of town guests. I believe it is free
"A9 (CRUISER ANCHORAGE) – The A9 anchorage is located in an area adjacent to the United States Coast Guard Air Station and the east tip of Harbor Island. This anchorage is available to non-residents of San Diego County only. Permits for this anchorage must be obtained in person at 1401 Shelter Island Drive and proof of non-residency must be provided. Permit requires a vessel inspection performed by the Harbor Police Bay Control Officer. The length of stay allowed for the anchorage is 30 days with two extensions available for a total stay of 90 days in a 12 month period. All vessels obtaining a permit must renew their permit every thirty days without exception. The Cruisers Anchorage is marked by three large yellow can buoys that warn of the restricted water space toward the Coast Guard Air Station to the east. A red channel buoy showing the entrance to the Harbor Island lagoon marks the West End. This anchorage is available for up to twenty (20) vessels."

Hope that helps.
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:50   #7

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrichter View Post
How long are you planning to stay in San Diego next summer? The public dock on Shelter Island allows you 15 days, and there are commercial slips there and on Harbor Island.

There is a Public anchorage for out of town guests. I believe it is free
"A9 (CRUISER ANCHORAGE) – The A9 anchorage is located in an area adjacent to the United States Coast Guard Air Station and the east tip of Harbor Island. This anchorage is available to non-residents of San Diego County only. Permits for this anchorage must be obtained in person at 1401 Shelter Island Drive and proof of non-residency must be provided. Permit requires a vessel inspection performed by the Harbor Police Bay Control Officer. The length of stay allowed for the anchorage is 30 days with two extensions available for a total stay of 90 days in a 12 month period. All vessels obtaining a permit must renew their permit every thirty days without exception. The Cruisers Anchorage is marked by three large yellow can buoys that warn of the restricted water space toward the Coast Guard Air Station to the east. A red channel buoy showing the entrance to the Harbor Island lagoon marks the West End. This anchorage is available for up to twenty (20) vessels."

Hope that helps.
If you are going to use the public dock, the price is 5.00 per day for the first 5 days and 10.00 for the second 5 days and a total use of 10 days every 30 to use.. The anchorage is the worst I've ever been in.. the coast guard helos are taking off and landing constant and the anchorage is located at the end of the airport.. noise is hard to deal with.. its also open to all ferry traffic comming and going so is rolling constantly.. tried to set an anchor and pulled it throu the mud back and forth throu the anchorage.. wouldnt set.. even my fortress 55 was dragging throu the mud..
When I mentioned the concern with the anchorage to the Harbor Police.. they looked at each other and laughed, saying , now you know why its free........................

we spent a couple weeks there and worked our way to the north west end of the anchorage , protected somewhat..and the furtherest away from the coast guard station..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:56   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Back in August of '93 we slowly sailed from Seattle to San Diego and waited for the end of Hurricane Season.
We noticed that as we went South, the booze got cheaper, the anchorages fewer and farther between, and the marinas got more expensive.

Sun Tzu
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 19:24   #9

Went to Dana point and long beach today. Dana point was kinda nice , and there are two small free anchorages there. Long beach , not so much. Nothing I liked as well as the Coronado mooring field.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44   #10

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
If you are going to use the public dock, the price is 5.00 per day for the first 5 days and 10.00 for the second 5 days and a total use of 10 days every 30 to use.. The anchorage is the worst I've ever been in.. the coast guard helos are taking off and landing constant and the anchorage is located at the end of the airport.. noise is hard to deal with.. its also open to all ferry traffic comming and going so is rolling constantly.. tried to set an anchor and pulled it throu the mud back and forth throu the anchorage.. wouldnt set.. even my fortress 55 was dragging throu the mud..
When I mentioned the concern with the anchorage to the Harbor Police.. they looked at each other and laughed, saying , now you know why its free........................

we spent a couple weeks there and worked our way to the north west end of the anchorage , protected somewhat..and the furtherest away from the coast guard station..
Prices have gone up. I think it is $0.50 a foot now but am not positive.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:54   #11

Boat: Pearson 281
Re: Visiting in Southern California

Welcome SVSilvergrrrl!
Dana Point is nice... a spot favored by local commercial fishermen.
Also check out the anchorage just off Cabrillo Beach inside the breakwall on the San Pedro side of Los Angeles Harbor just outside Watchorn Basin. Just a touch on the industrial side with some big ship traffic to contend with as you come through the gate. Good for three days free with extensions available. The wind picks up in the afternoon because of the Venturi Effect so it has the nickname Hurricane Gulch but some locals (including me) use it a lot. As long as you have decent ground tackle it isn't a problem. In the mornings and evenings it's usually calm and in the afternoons when it does blow there isn't much fetch and it's fun to watch the kids racing around in there optis, sabots, flying jrs etc. From this anchorage you have access to yacht clubs (reciprocals/showers!), nice marinas, fuel and water. There is a marine surplus store (Kellys) within walking distance as well as a little street car line that can get you into old town San Pedro and Fishermans Village..
Here's to a fun trip down!
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:51   #12

For southern CA, Marina del Rey has a guest dock too. The link shows the info.

http://www.sailorschoice.com/Marinad...mdrmarinas.htm

If you don't mind a full day (depending on how much distance you make in a day) Marina del Rey is a days trip from Channel Islands (Oxnard) then you can hit Catalina Island then San Diego. It's a quicker trip if you look it up on a map. At least you can anchor around the island provided you have at least 400 ft of rode-chain for many places - and you probably know from being around PNW and CA , to set it by backing down so you know you just aren't held on kelp. Or pick up a mooring ball- it's fairly reasonable and there are showers, restaurant and bar and a general store.

Mission Bay is north of San Diego and a great place to anchor. It's shallow & sandy and fairly quiet during the week or even week-ends in winter. You have 3 days. There are restrooms and a shower outside to rinse off outside (for swimmers). That way you can limit time or even bypass San Diego. The mooring balls on the Channel going into the bay are nicknamed 'Rock & Roll" due to tugs, aircraft carriers & other huge ships going in & out. As the guy described it "not fun!".

Enjoy your trip down. It is beautiful. Happy Cruising!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico
Back in August of '93 we slowly sailed from Seattle to San Diego and waited for the end of Hurricane Season.
We noticed that as we went South, the booze got cheaper, the anchorages fewer and farther between, and the marinas got more expensive.
What's The Problem? You just gotta drink more alcohol to even out the high cost of marinas!
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 21:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post

Yep, that place is a zoo. They really don't want you to get comfortable there.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
california