Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 20:40   #76

Boat: Custom 55
Re: Something for us all to think about

Mike,

Two points.

The Grand Banks failure in the 70's/80's is similar to what is happening in many parts of the world. There were just too many players. Also, there was no 200 mile limit, which meant that the game was entirely different in that ear. There was just too much cheating, too many countries involved. Just too much all around. We are just a single nation's fishery, and therefore subject to only one country's laws.

As I said, the MSC has certified all of our fisheries as sustainable. It's a 3rd party, independent certification. One may believe that, or not.

As far as paragraph 2... Amen. We need to do better on resource consumption. We'll find a way. Or the population will correct itself. Let's hope we take the smarter route.

Goodnight, guys. Good conversation tonight.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 20:42   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ah, thanks for providing the standard ostrich response. Maybe if you stick that head even deeper in the ground then you can block both your eyes and your ears from taking in reality.

BTW, my "bike" is a scooter. It gets over 80 mpg. My home is a tent, and a smallish sailboat. Shall we compare my negative impact on the planet to yours?
I'm not the one suggesting we all engage in a race to poverty. Good luck with your voyage.

I don't measure or worry about my impact on the planet. There are no indices that measure such things. They exist only in the minds of those who are make bold statements in order to feel good about themselves, or to make others think they "care."
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 21:38   #78

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
As I said, the MSC has certified all of our fisheries as sustainable. It's a 3rd party, independent certification. One may believe that, or not.

As far as paragraph 2... Amen. We need to do better on resource consumption. We'll find a way. Or the population will correct itself. Let's hope we take the smarter route.
I hope (and want to believe) you're right TJ. There is no doubt fishing can be sustainable. I wish you and your company success in this endeavour.

And I absolutely agree with you; Our species will come back in balance with Nature. We may be the first species that has it within our power to influence how this correction will occur. I want to think we can use our intellect and our wisdom to manage this correction gently. Sadly at this point (and as illustrated by our friend fryewe here), we show little actual progress in that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryewe View Post
I don't measure or worry about my impact on the planet. There are no indices that measure such things. They exist only in the minds of those who are make bold statements in order to feel good about themselves, or to make others think they "care."
Keep digging fryewe .
Old 24-09-2015, 01:17   #79
Armchair Bucketeer

As someone who does not eat fish (despite being on an island renowned for its seafood!) I have no direct stake in this argument...... But I see a commercial opportunity to re-brand large scale catch as "free range fish" (if land creatures which we consume had the same lifestyle as a fish before harvesting it would be a eco wet dream :-) ).

Whilst I accept the world population has challenges ahead on sustainability, my position is that there has always been plenty to go around - and always will be - but together with good intentions the current era of eco EOTW scare stories is simply being used as another way of saying the same old story of "there is not enough to go around - for the peasants".

Until we stop turning resources and technology gains into numbers stored in the delusion that is "the global financial market" and offshore bank accounts (including here in Jersey - BTW thanks for the free healthcare :-) ) then nothing will change, except by the usual route of conflict.

In the meantime: be afraid, be very afraid - its good for business (of your lords & masters).

Sent from my NEXUS 5 whilst sitting in my armchair tied to the dock.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 22:18   #80

That's really sad. It's true that humans are selfish, it's absolutely true that we are selfish. But there are people who are studying the marine life and trying to change things. We should contribute in our own ways I guess. After all we love the sea. Let's come up with the ways we are aware of to help protect the marine life. What say?
Anna09 is offline   Reply With Quote