Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 17:31   #16

Boat: Kristen 52
Re: Maiden movie

We saw Maiden here in Fiji last month, hosted by crew member Mandy Swan Neal(rigger)
Enjoyed the movie, was not expecting what it was about, was pleasantly surprised to learn story. We had never heard of this event/boat before this. Recommend seeing it.
Old 15-10-2019, 15:34   #17

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Maiden is out on iTunes and I think maybe Amazon. Going to watch it this week. Wife is a member of WSA and loved it when they watched it at one of their meetings in CA
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 06:30   #18

Saw the movie yesterday.....BIG thumbs up.

Extremely impressive accomplishment.
Old 15-03-2020, 10:48   #19

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

Sorry, late to the party here!
Some of you may know John and Amanda Neal - Mahina Tiare is their HR 46. We did a leg with them from Tahiti to Rarotonga - Amanda was the Rigger on the Maiden and she regaled us with many a story - then by happenstance the Maiden came to Los Angeles last year so our Club (Del Rey Yacht Club) organized a welcoming committee of boats and a party the afternoon they arrived. We had a chance to meet all of the crew - including Tracy's daughter who was with them. They were absolutely wonderful and we had a great time hearing their stories.

They were on our Visitor dock for several weeks and our hospitality team set up space for them to give tours (with a donation to their charities) sold Maiden kit and seeing the boat and the set up was quite interesting! If you get a chance I would highly recommend it! We had seen the movie and marveled at the story and our club sponsored a presentation by Tracy and we got to hear much more than the movie could cover. She is a tremendous speaker and if you get a chance to see her don't miss it. We did a Q&A at the end, and if you have seen the movie you will know that one of the top sports writers was very much against them - literally betting a large sum for them to not even finish the first leg! Well I asked her if she ever got to meet with him - and perhaps serve some crow...She said they have become wonderful friends, it was a great turning point for him and for sport in the UK.

Funny thing, they were supposed to sail to Brazil and we gave them a sendoff - but weather turned them around and they stayed at the club for another few weeks before amending their plans to go to the Caribbean I think.
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 11:04   #20

If this ever comes out free on one of my streaming services, I'll watch.

There are too many movies I'm already paying for to go through before I pay extra to see this one.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 12:18   #21

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

Well, sorry can't agree with that. Someone has to pony up the $$ the work, the creative effort and the risk, and they should be rewarded for that. If it is on NeFlix and you are paying the subscription fee that is fair - otherwise as I told my teenage son many years ago: 'ripping songs is stealing. Period'

I am sure if someone came in and took your work that you did and didn't pay you for it you would certainly object....btw thats what the Chinese do and have screwed alot of people out of a lot of money along the way.
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 14:09   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by RELENTLESS 1 View Post
Well, sorry can't agree with that. Someone has to pony up the $$ the work, the creative effort and the risk, and they should be rewarded for that. If it is on NeFlix and you are paying the subscription fee that is fair - otherwise as I told my teenage son many years ago: 'ripping songs is stealing. Period'

I am sure if someone came in and took your work that you did and didn't pay you for it you would certainly object....btw thats what the Chinese do and have screwed alot of people out of a lot of money along the way.

I was referring to one of the three paid services I subscribe to. Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 16:23   #23

Boat: Sabre 402

We’re expecting Maiden to arrive in CT in late June. Looking forward to it!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
movie