Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2006, 18:10   #16

Boat: 1966 13' Catboat
Are you saying we don't talk good english?
B&BJoas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 18:15   #17

B&BJoas

So where are you from?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 18:53   #18
Kai Nui

I deal with broken English every day. I hardly notice any more. Now, the kings English, I have problems with That video does make an interesting point. Communication is critical. Learning some basics about the local language in areas you are planning to travel may save your life some day.
Hey Wheels, how about some Kiwi lessons
Old 23-02-2006, 18:57   #19

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
English

B&B I do not know if you talk good English or not. I do know that some of my yankee friends slaughter the language, but so did my aunt from London. I do not know where you are from, so do not know which group you are in with my previous post. Not that it matters, I will get around to picking on every nationality eventually, and I do not leave out my own. The folks I have referred to speak better English than I speak any other language. The main message in my post was that Kiwis are not as good at understanding foreign English speakers, as are Canadians. I spend a lot of time talking with a fellow from Yugoslavia, we share office space. A while ago I had a difference of opinion over an English with my Polack friend. He was right, he is also the smartest guy I know. The big Yugy is also a very learned person. I judge folks by who they are, not where they are from. I am related to them where ever they are from.
Michael AKA Mikhail.
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 21:03   #20

Boat: Lagoon 380S2
Send a message via Yahoo to db8us
Yes, the video is pretty funny, but as already mentioned on the other side it points out the importance of language.

So in general i think it is very good that english is now introduced already at kindergarten-age and also that the current radio-licences required for DSC-VHF include english and german texts that have to be translated from one language into the other.

But keep in mind, since besides english we also have to learn french in school and some latin and even greek.

So i hope you can understand my school-english and i am looking forward to practise more english when bluewater-cruising one day

Michael, Germany
db8us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2006, 21:23   #21
Kai Nui

Some things are universal. I was married to a German once. When she was mad, I had no problem understanding her
Seriously though, the lack of a universal language here in California (You would think it would be english), leads to serious communication problems. Finding a doctor whose advise you can actually understand is a real issue. The ability to communicate with the local majority seems to be less of a priority than it used to be. And even then, when the local majority does not speak the established common language, there is a real disconnect. I find in my job that people of differnt origins in my area seem to learn spanish before they learn english, and often speak Mandarin, or Pujabi, and Spanish fluently, while only speaking broken English. Communication, while becoming more convenient through electronic devises, cell phones, blackberrys etc. is becoming far less of an art. Of course, as an English speaker, maybe my view is skewed.
Old 24-02-2006, 08:52   #22

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Language

While in Mexico the daughter of my Yugi friends was stung by a jelly fish. The were trying to descibe what happened to a Spanish speaking doctor. Then my well educated Yugi friend searched the memory banks and came up with the Latin word for jelly fish. The doctor new the word as was able to prescribe a treatment.
The doctor had no problem with: That will be seventy five dollars American please.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote