Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2021, 13:13   #1

Cool but unnecessary gear/stuff to have on the wish list

The wife and I have a list of fun "stuff" we might want to take with us cruising that I am wondering if anybody has anything interesting/cool to add.

For Example: (Stuff we already have purchased and use/bring with us on trips)
-Foul weather gear
-FLIR Monocular
-Steiner Binoculars with built in compass
-Greatland Green Laser Flare
-Eartech headsets for docking/anchoring
-Fishman battery powered Amp for her acoustic electric guitar concerts she provides at anchor
-Drone for capturing those amazing anchorage images
-All the GoPro/Camera gear you can think of
-LED flashlights/headsets

Stuff that is on our list:
-EFoil surfboard
-Folding E-Bikes
-Personal EPIRB
-Kite Surf gear
-Scuba gear
-Sat phone
-Sextant (always wanted to learn)
-Underwater drone
-Good filet knife for fishing (Wusthof, but open for suggestions)
-Inflatable Paddle boards
-quality fishing gear
-4K projector

Any other gadgets or fun stuff we should add to our list that you have found to be worthwhile and enjoyable?
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 14:11   #2

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
Re: Cool but unnecessary gear/stuff to have on the wish list

I don't see a hot tub or scuba tow listed.
Old 03-02-2021, 15:03   #3

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Didn't this same question just get asked a few weeks ago?
Old 03-02-2021, 15:52   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

No list is complete without a 300hp+ jet ski included
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 16:01   #5

"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

(Ref: Jaws)

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:15   #6

Boat: Catalina 470

The personal EPIRBs should be in the "essentials" category, in my opinion. Better yet, one of the newer AIS PLBs that will allow you to locate anyone lost overboard using your AIS and chartplotter.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:23   #7

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
"We're gonna need a bigger boat."

(Ref: Jaws)

LittleWing77
I am not sure how big your vessel is, but a kayak is a lot of fun for gunkholing. If room is an issue, some of the inflatable kayaks are really pretty good as kayaks.

A drone (not underwater) is a lot of fun, and useful too, especially if looking for a passage through reefs, sandbars, etc.

A good book on birds and fish can be quite entertaining if you are exploring new areas. Especially if used in conjunction with your Steiners!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 08:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
The personal EPIRBs should be in the "essentials" category, in my opinion. Better yet, one of the newer AIS PLBs that will allow you to locate anyone lost overboard using your AIS and chartplotter.
Yes I tend to agree with this as well and that is our plan, I just rarely see anybody ever using them. Pretty much any safety type item is a non-negotiable must have, and starts with the quality and seaworthiness of the vessel itself. There are probably things out there that I don't know exist so hoping to hear from people here on new ideas.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
I am not sure how big your vessel is, but a kayak is a lot of fun for gunkholing. If room is an issue, some of the inflatable kayaks are really pretty good as kayaks.

A drone (not underwater) is a lot of fun, and useful too, especially if looking for a passage through reefs, sandbars, etc.

A good book on birds and fish can be quite entertaining if you are exploring new areas. Especially if used in conjunction with your Steiners!
Great ideas! We have kayaks already that we will most likely be brining along. We are fortunate enough to be in the testing out phase of some pretty amazing boats (Most likely a cat greater than 45' but less than 60', but there are still a couple of mono's that are on the list, the shopping is really fun!) and room isn't necessarily an issue, but do want to be conscientious of weight.

We love our drone and have a bunch or spectacular pictures blown up from our adventures (see below). Just wondering if anybody has had a similar experience with underwater versions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DJI_0320.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	231890  
Old 04-02-2021, 08:58   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol1970 View Post
Yes I tend to agree with this as well and that is our plan, I just rarely see anybody ever using them. Pretty much any safety type item is a non-negotiable must have, and starts with the quality and seaworthiness of the vessel itself. There are probably things out there that I don't know exist so hoping to hear from people here on new ideas.
We installed one in each of our PFD/harnesses. You cannot see them, but they are there, and trigger automatically when the PFD inflates. If one of us falls overboard, the AIS signal is automatically relayed to our chartplotter, as well as to any other vessel in range, increasing the likelihood of successful rescue and recovery.

While you are correct that a good seaworthy boat is important, that won't prevent someone going over the side. That comes from proper equipment (jacklines, harnesses, tethers, etc.) and procedures (wearing PFD/harness at night, in rougher weather, and when alone on deck, clipping on, staying in the cockpit at night, etc.). The PLB is the backup to any failure of the above.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 09:45   #11

Boat: Amel 50

A crew that cleans the boat every morning, washes dishes and handles small repairs, along with a separate vessel for them to live on when we’re cruising.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:52   #12

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Night Vision Goggles - for those dark nights in busy anchorages to see what is going on on the other boats (wink; wink. Oh, tell the wife they are for better vision on night watches. Great safety item!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:15   #13

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

My comments
Yes second using H/H radios with AIS. For a tow person crew they are ideal. Wear one whenever on deck at night or alone during the day. The great plus is that in a MOB situation as long as they are turned on you can poll their location from the other set without any action by the MOB. Range is short especially with the unit in the water but it is the best way have seen to locate an exhausted MOB.
On the same lines add a pair of good LED torches, (good does not always mean 'most expensive'). One with a wide beam and one super spot. Best way to find your way into anchorages at night or finding anything in the water. The single battery one are fine but get a spare battery for each, you only get about 1 hr on high beam.

I have had night vision monocular, battery's are usually flat as I never found much use for them. In my view not worth the money or space.
Sat phone. Expensive and not that reliable. If you absolutely need to regularly talk to people on shore for business or family reasons it may be worth it. As emergency gear there are better and cheaper options. Garmin now do excellent and well proven two way text system with the InReach line. Text requires far less signal than voice so is more reliable. Also does tracking if you want people on shore to know where you are. Cost is about 1/10 the bill for a sat phone, about the same as PLB's when you take into account replacement batteries. Back it up with a 406 EPIRB mounted on the ship.
Sextant. Yes fun and useful as they are the only position fixing system that does not require electricity! Also useful for other things, take a look at horizontal sextant angles and distance off by sextant angle. For anything serious I would consider two independent position fixing methods essential. Don't rely solely on GPS as it can have errors and is not as accurate as you may think in real life especially off the shipping routes.
SSB radio + laptop. Transceivers still have a place but at least have a receiver. The naval weather forecasts broadcast via SSB are not only free but much better than the stuff you get over the internet. You should have access to weather maps produced by a professional weather forecaster that show frontal system. Grib files can be useful but cost to receive at sea and lack any interpretation.

A folding bike is defiantly a plus but whether you need an electric one depends on budget and ability. Peddling is great exercise and 10km on the flat is going to be within any cruisers capability.
4K projector. Are you thinking of showing films using the sail as a screen! Read some of the comments and complaints about people who do this, it can make you real unpopular fast!
Don't rush into any 'fun gear' but see what you want after a few months. Boats are great at teaching you what you DON'T need and space is always a prized possession, don't be in a hurry to fill it up!!
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:15   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Not to be critical, but that green laser is not going to be popular with the coasties that may come to fish you out of the drink. In addition to potentially blinding people, helo pilots exposed to lasers are off flight-duty for a month, so don't do it.

The sextant is a great toy, but the use of it is a separate skill-set to navigating with one. Take a good class on doing sight reductions (Maryland School of Seamanship offers a good online one), and you'll get a great appreciation for celestial navigation.

If you're cruising in Michigan, have more winter gear than you could possibly imagine using (Carhartt's, long undies, winter gloves, etc.). You would not believe how cold you get on the water in the middle of the night, even in June.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 10:40   #15

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

We had a SUP and ended up giving it away. Kayaks were just more useful and enjoyable to us.
2 that are on my list for buying this summer.
Hookah, for at least 2 people to 60 feet.
I've been putting it off to see if I miss it. I do!
Sub-wing, the board you tow behind a dingy, 2-4mph. A friend has one and took me on it. Extremely easy and if in clear, warm water extremely fun as well
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear