Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2023, 12:49   #31

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43
Re: Mobile App Changes

So I am trying not to jump on the "it's awful" bandwagon. But using the web browser has a couple of shortcomings I am trying to figure out.
In the desktop version, which is almost unusable on my phone, I can get to the subscribed threads post. I can't find that on the mobile version. Does it exist?
The app included a notation so you could identify the op in a thread. I don't think that exists on the web version. Am I missing it?
I find that I have to zoom in and out and slide around my view to be able to read the words. Is that something I just have to get used to?
Thanks for any thoughts
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 21:32   #32

Don't know what the fuss is about as I have been using Android web interface when browising via phone. My permissions settings block most (all?) of the ads lately and I just see a fix chasing a non existing problem.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 05:51   #33

Boat: Hanse 348

Just found this thread as for about a week I can't login to CF or Trawler Forum on my ipad. When I couldn't get into both for some time, I suspected something like this was up. A decade ago I used tapatalk to get to about 10 forums I followed, but slowly and surely they all abandoned tapatalk.

I am an Android phone user, and have an ipad for reading, mostly newpaper app, CF , TF and several other forums.

Would a small yearly fee be enough to keep an app going? IDK how many people would pay $10/yr to make it worthwhile. In my experience, the apps for CF and TF worked pretty well, so far I think better than the browser on a mobile device.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 06:04   #34

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I would urge everyone to have some patience.

This is what I do for a living. Mobile apps. Migrating from an old vbulletin version like this can be a painful process for a small business. There are unexpected traps. It’s not easy.

They may be migrating to a web app or something cool like that, which is much better for everyone. Takes the greedy app stores (Google and Apple monopolies) out of the picture while providing an app and interface like you had with the old native versions of the mobile apps.

It’ll be worth it in the end.

Everyone hates changes when it comes to UI/UX (how the screen looks and works), including me, but they wouldn’t be doing all this (spending all the time and money) if it wasn’t going to be a great improvement.

Try to be patient with the process. It’ll be worth it.

They certainly know what’s important to everyone from this thread now, so they will probably make sure the new posts, etc is seamless
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2023, 11:20   #35

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
I really hope that a new mobile does not get pestered with ads.
Why can you not keep using the old version, set the new one up in parallel and then switch?
Would be much more user friendly. So far I only use the forum app. It has its minor quirks but all over it's much nicer than the mobile site.
Totally agree
Missing the app BIG now
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2023, 21:24   #36

Boat: Rafiki 37

Just in case anyone in ownership is listening, I've basically stopped accessing CF from my mobile device now that the app is dead. It wasn't a conscious decision, but it is a fact. I'm still on here via my laptop, but when I'm confined to my mobile, I'm just not bothering.

I'm not really complaining. If there was something important going on here, I probably would access CF through a browser. But so far, for my mostly casual usage, this added hurdle has been enough to prevent me from doing so.

In comparison, SN has an app, and I'm using it all the time... I just thought you'd like to know.
Old 30-11-2023, 00:08   #37

Did the mobile app have advertising?
Old 30-11-2023, 05:56   #38

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Just in case anyone in ownership is listening, I've basically stopped accessing CF from my mobile device now that the app is dead. It wasn't a conscious decision, but it is a fact. I'm still on here via my laptop, but when I'm confined to my mobile, I'm just not bothering.

I'm not really complaining. If there was something important going on here, I probably would access CF through a browser. But so far, for my mostly casual usage, this added hurdle has been enough to prevent me from doing so.

In comparison, SN has an app, and I'm using it all the time... I just thought you'd like to know.
Me too. Using it on the phone is just too hard. I do, but like Mike, I find it doesn't happen much.

As far as comments about advertising, I just haven't noticed. Not sure why not -- maybe it doesn't exist, maybe I just don't notice.
sailingharry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2023, 06:20   #39

Boat: Hanse 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Me too. Using it on the phone is just too hard. I do, but like Mike, I find it doesn't happen much.

As far as comments about advertising, I just haven't noticed. Not sure why not -- maybe it doesn't exist, maybe I just don't notice.
Me three. I have yet been able to find the mobile view w a regular browser(chrome) on my phone. Impossible for me to hit the 'next' page when viewing a multipage thread. Too tiny for my fingers to do accurately.

But maybe I am missing a way to read on my phone via a browser? If so, pls let me know. Still want to enjoy the site when not on my computer.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2024, 23:49   #40

Any updates on the iOS app?

Tags
mob