Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 13:07   #1
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Your Papers, Please

Today's 'Lectronic Latitude includes updated information that it's now official: Americans now need a passport to travel outside the country by air. Effective January 31, 2008, the requirement will apply to those traveling by air and boat, as well.
~ ~ ~
"Passports Now Required

"October 3, 2007 – Washington, DC

"It's official - as of Monday, October 1, passports are now required for any American citizen traveling by air out of the country, including Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. . ."

~ ~ ~
To read the entire report in 'Lectronic Latitude, go to:

Latitude 38 - Northern California's Premier Sailing and Marine Magazine

TaoJones
Old 03-10-2007, 14:15   #2

Boat: Flicka
Send a message via AIM to conrad
I'm sorry I do not know how to start a new thread so I can use some help. Several questions Where can I get info on paperwork and rules about entering a port on my boat . Fee's paperwork etc. I know this can vary according to the person whom you have checking paperwork etc but there should be some way to find out the most current rules whether they are always followed to the T or not. How long can one stay..... What about weapon spear guns pets and etc. Can I check out go to next port and re=enter these are the type questions I am looking for answers too so any help as to where to post this and then where to get some of these answers.... Thank Yawl in advance Southern Sailor
conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 14:34   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Effective January 31, 2008, the requirement will apply to those traveling by air and boat, as well.
This should have read "Effective January 31, 2008, the requirement will apply to those traveling by car and boat, as well."

My bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad View Post
I'm sorry I do not know how to start a new thread so I can use some help. Several questions Where can I get info on paperwork and rules about entering a port on my boat . Fee's paperwork etc. I know this can vary according to the person whom you have checking paperwork etc but there should be some way to find out the most current rules whether they are always followed to the T or not. How long can one stay..... What about weapon spear guns pets and etc. Can I check out go to next port and re=enter these are the type questions I am looking for answers too so any help as to where to post this and then where to get some of these answers.... Thank Yawl in advance Southern Sailor
Conrad, to start a new thread, go to the Discussion Board, then select the Forum you feel your post belongs in. In this case, the Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape Forum is probably the one to choose for the questions you have.

When that page opens, you will see a radio button labeled New Thread at the top of the list, on the left side. After you click on it, compose your post just as you did the one above. Be sure to give your post a good title so that people will be drawn to read what you have posted. The more people who read it, the more responses you're likely to receive.

There are many, many experienced cruisers here, Conrad, so you will get a lot of information. Be prepared, though - not everyone agrees on a single solution to any given problem.

I would suggest that you use the site's search function to see if you can find previous posts that already address your questions.

Good luck.

TaoJones
Old 03-10-2007, 15:31   #4

Boat: C&C 27
Do they care which passport I use?
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:16   #5

Boat: Broadblue 385, called Troutbridge
Send a message via Skype™ to Troutbridge
Try the 'Noonsite' website, run by Jimmy Cornell. Everything you need to know about Visa requirements etc for virtually every country.
Troutbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 03:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Do they care which passport I use?
I've always found it prudent to use my own passport.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 04:54   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
If you travel outside the USA passports are a common requirement. If the US citizens didn't need one to travel outside before where did they travel to? Other than Canada most countries require a passport to enter that country. I think Canada will require one one from the US citizens now. As Canadians we have needed a passport to enter the US since last fall.I never leave home without it. Living in the middle East at the present and travelling between the US and Canada on a regular basis in the summer my passport is never out of my reach.
Old 05-10-2007, 05:07   #8

Boat: C&C 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I've always found it prudent to use my own passport.
Some people collect some knick-knack like shot glasses or little spoons, and others citizenships, they used to be only $100 US in Belieze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I never leave home without it. Living in the middle East at the present and travelling between the US and Canada on a regular basis in the summer my passport is never out of my reach.
On a more serious note I keep mine in my luggage even for domestic travel. I'm on the Mexican border often enough that it is just simpler. Anyway you never know when you want to go over for lunch.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 21:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
If you travel outside the USA passports are a common requirement. If the US citizens didn't need one to travel outside before where did they travel to? Other than Canada most countries require a passport to enter that country.
It used to be that many nearby countries would allow US citizens to enter without a passport.

This sort of thing is advantageous if, for example, you have a small island with a large tourism industry. If you require them to have a passport, they might just vacation in Florida to avoid the hassle. After all, lots of US citizens don't even have a passport. You just don't need one if you live in the US because you aren't likely to go anywhere that demands to see your passport. (That becomes self-reinforcing, when neighbors with large tourism industries start letting US citizens in without a passport...)

Of course, once the US starts requiring their own people to show a passport to get home, you don't benefit by giving the tourist a break on the passport. You still give them a break by not demanding a visa...
Old 15-10-2007, 01:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
Today's 'Lectronic Latitude includes updated information that it's now official: Americans now need a passport to travel outside the country by air. Effective January 31, 2008, the requirement will apply to those traveling by air and boat, as well.
~ ~ ~
"Passports Now Required

"October 3, 2007 – Washington, DC
This is nuts:
US demands air passengers ask its permission to fly | The Register

The Register

Have a read of the article and of the comments posted by readers. Looks like Fortress America is prepared to repel all boarders.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 03:22   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Advance Passenger Information System (APIS)

This is the TSA's latest effort to toughen passenger screening. It introduced Secure Flight plans in 2004, but suspended their development early last year amid widespread criticisms from privacy advocates.

Under the proposed rules of the TSA’s Secure Flight Program , all airline passengers would need advance permission before flying over the United States, no matter the points of origin or destination (including planes that don’t take off from or land on American soil).

The TSA proposal would cover flights operating between two international points that go over the airspace of the lower 48 U.S. states, affecting mostly those run by Canadian carriers to winter getaways such as Mexico, Jamaica, Cuba and the Dominican Republic. Excluded from the plan are flights between two points in Canada, such as Toronto-Vancouver, in which the flight path temporarily crosses into U.S. airspace.

See the Secure Flight Program at the DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
Transportation Security Administration
49 CFR Parts 1540, 1544, and 1560 [Docket No. TSA–2007–28572]
http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/p102/484384.pdf

More: U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Travel

TSA Administrator Kip Hawley is scheduled to testify before the Senate Transportation Committee on Tuesday, October 16.

The final day for submission of public comments to the Secure Flight Notice of Proposed Rule Making (docket number is TSA-2007-28572) is Monday, October 22, 2007.
Goto: http://www.tsa.dhs.gov/assets/pdf/secureflight_nprm.pdf

Old 15-10-2007, 03:32   #12

Boat: 52' Irwin Ketch
RE: Fortress America. Reminds me of a quote in a movie: "Are the fences to keep them out or us in?" Has anyone seen the new passports? Embarrassingly self promoting. I see passports from all over the globe in my job, they are all just standard travel documents, except the new U.S. passport, which screams that we are the best, the free-est, etc. No other country does that. The arrogance is breathtaking, and my family has been here for 300 years!
waterworldly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 06:31   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Personally, I really like the new passports and find all the quotes and illustrations quite inspiring. Now, if only we would live up to our aspirations, while resisting the temptation to try and foist them onto others.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 06:38   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Please, let's limit the political rhetoric, allowing the facts to speak for themselves.
Although our political & philosophical opinions are all interesting & important; the CruisersForum is NOT the place to share & debate them.

Old 15-10-2007, 10:35   #15

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
I wonder how much longer it will be until RFID implants will be made a requirement to leave or enter the US by plane, train, automobile, boat, bike, or on foot.

(21 sec. video clip)

The Use of RFID for Human Identification - A DRAFT REPORT from DHS Emerging Applications and Technology Subcommittee
1977 Cape Dory 27 #58
blove8 is offline   Reply With Quote