Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates
USCG License on Line

currently sitting in trinidad for hurricane season - next spring are headed to the med and we understand that some eu countries want a license - so we thought that while we were sitting i could do an on line uscg course for a masters license --
problem is i just called on on skype and he said i would have to come to the usa to test - that is unlikely as the only time i will be in the usa is for about 2 weeks around christmas/new years and then back to the boat to head north

any thoughts from anyone on this

thanks
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:09   #2

For a USCG license you will have to test at a REC in the states there is no way around it. You will also need a physical before testing as well as the required sea-time check out the uscg website for what is required there is a checklist.
MasterMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:24   #3

Not Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
currently sitting in trinidad for hurricane season - next spring are headed to the med and we understand that some eu countries want a license - so we thought that while we were sitting i could do an on line uscg course for a masters license --
problem is i just called on on skype and he said i would have to come to the usa to test - that is unlikely as the only time i will be in the usa is for about 2 weeks around christmas/new years and then back to the boat to head north

any thoughts from anyone on this

thanks
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in trinidad for hurricane season
Alternatives = Do You have a US Sailing or ASA Certification / Log Book?
or RYA?

Most countries / inspections (based on experience) never ask for it but if they do Sail Training Certifications seem to satisfy the requirement - as recently as this May in Greece on a charter(Port Police at start of charter). They just need to complete paperwork & if the document looks official, stamped, etc - then all is well

A USCG license would be more than acceptable but that hurdle is not a simple one. There are some schools conducting the training on-line but other requirements - CPR, medical tests, final exam, etc would probably require time and presence in the states.
Chuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44   #4

Re: uscg license on line

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMariner View Post
For a USCG license you will have to test at a REC in the states there is no way around it. You will also need a physical before testing as well as the required sea-time check out the uscg website for what is required there is a checklist.
Agree; however, as OP indicated, the online courses also conduct the testing, either at their facility, community colleges or hotels throughout the country. You are not going to get around physically having to take the test at REC or authorized facility. Also, don't forget the drug-test.
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:48   #5

Boat: private yacht always moving

you can test at seaschool or any other marine school just take there 1 or 2 week course.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:52   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Ok, so you're talking a pleasure craft you're sailing yourself to Europe just for the purpose of recreation not to operate for charter?

I have no ideas of the laws, but hard to imagine they will make you turn around and sail home???
Old 26-07-2012, 21:15   #7

I am renewing my USCG Master's License right now (for the umpteenth time) & going through so much sh** from them that it's unbelievable.You must use an American doctor for your medical, PERIOD! (which I did).
You can do it all (don't forget the stupid TWIC card!) in St. Thomas & Puerto Rico, by the way.
You may test at a USCG licensing facility if all your ducks are in order, without a course, but I warn you; even though it's multiple choice, it's not a fair & honest test of boating knowledge, it's a test of how well you can pass their stupid test; take the course.
I've had & worked on, my USCG Master 200 ton for over 30 years & held numerous other licenses over the years including 2 unlimited Master's & I am still a British Commonwealth chief officer & they don't mean squat to the USCG, even though there is not any other country that considers the US licenses worth the paper they are printed on. If you want a ticket of value internationally, you must get a RYA one nowadays.
We may be in Trinidad in a month or so if I can help at all, give us a shout.
Regards,
Andrew
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 04:37   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Is the RYA useable by a US citizen in place of a 6 pack in US waters? I have avoided getting a license for twenty years, but it seems the only have decent jobs locally require a license. I honestly think its a complete waste of money. I took the first day of the class and the one guy was planning to take missionaries on his boat from FL to Haiti or some crap and couldn't even remember which model Morgan he owned he knew so little about boats. But heh, you own a boat? just sign off on your hours, no problem!

That TWIC card thing was really a bridge too far for me, at the moment at least. it took me 15 minutes to come up with a password that met the rules of there website!

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 27-07-2012, 10:32   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by capta View Post
---

You may test at a USCG licensing facility if all your ducks are in order, without a course, but I warn you; even though it's multiple choice, it's not a fair & honest test of boating knowledge, it's a test of how well you can pass their stupid test; take the course.
True, unfortunately.
Old 27-07-2012, 11:24   #10

Boat: L 34

Slow down a bit here.(a) If you wish to charter a boat, the charterers and insurance co. wants to know that you can handle their boat.(b) If you want to skipper a boat for commercial gain, it's only fair that the passengers be assured that you know what you're doing.(c) In the EURO waterways there are colregs so everyone knows their right of way. BUT. ; As an individual cruising yachtie on your own boat, I've never had any authority asking me for certificates of competancy. You'll need boat ownership papers, a clearance from your last port, passport with crew list and their passports and that's it. -
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 12:50   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Is the RYA useable by a US citizen in place of a 6 pack in US waters? ...
No -- they are not equivalent, if you are going to do anything commercial in US waters then you need the appropriate USCG license (ie: OUPV AKA "6-pak") (except of course for certain foreign vessels transiting US waters). If you are not operating commercially then you don't need a USCG license. Recreational level "liscencing" is handled at the State level and each State is a bit different.

RYA, ASA, etc, are recreational training certifications not a commercial or even recreational "licenses". This training however may be recognized at a state level as fulfillment of their recreation level training requirements (again, varies by State...just like a vehicle driver's lic.).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 13:23   #12

A RYA license is probably not acceptable to the USCG for operating a US flag vessel for hire (charter) though you may be able to operate a foreign flag vessel transiting US waters.
RYA issues commercial yacht master's licenses (most mega-yacht captains hold RYA certificates) which are preferred, unfortunately for us Yanks, by owners and insurance companies world wide.
You must hold a USCG MMC AND a TWIC card, AND a marine radio operator permit AND be a member of a marine consortium if you wish to operate a "COI" vessel (more than 6 passengers) within US waters.
Do not be fooled into thinking that money must change hands for your voyage to be a charter in the eyes of the USCG. If your guests pay for fuel, even 1 gallon, then legally you are chartering, if your guests bring ice or beer & put it in your cooler, then legally you are chartering. I could go on & on, but I'm sure you get the picture. Unless one is a total idiot, broadcasting to all about how he gets everyone to pay for his boating, unless you are taking business from a local, legal charter boat or unless you have a serious accident, I doubt that the CG will chase you down.
ASA is, in my opinion a system that has no logical basis & is only out for one's money. After over 20 years of professional sailing experience, including a circumnavigation under sail, they would not recognize my experience at all. 200 ton USCG master of sailing vessels; no value. I needed to spend nearly $10,000.00 taking their courses to effectively receive an equivalent piece of paper that I could not use to operate a commercial vessel under USCG regs. But I could teach at a yacht club or summer camp.
capta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 13:45   #13

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
RYA, ASA, etc, are recreational training certifications not a commercial or even recreational "licenses".
Only partly true. I was looking into this recently and a RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (or Ocean) only requires completion of some additional safety related courses and a medical to obtain an MCA commercial endorsement. Lower level RYA and all ASA are recreational only. At least that's how I read it - I stand ready to be corrected.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 14:14   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Only partly true. I was looking into this recently and a RYA Yachtmaster Offshore (or Ocean) only requires completion of some additional safety related courses and a medical to obtain an MCA commercial endorsement. Lower level RYA and all ASA are recreational only. At least that's how I read it - I stand ready to be corrected.
I am not very familiar with the "MCA Endorsements". But, as I understand them, they fulfill certain training requirements such as STCW and only apply employment aboard British flagged vessels. I don't think they qualify as a commercial licenses per se, but I could be wrong.

While the RYA Yachtmaster is professional level training (and quite good), I don't think that even with the MCA Endorsements it constitutes a valid commercial license (equivalent to a USCG 100-Ton Masters for example).

Anyone know more about the "MCA Endorsements"?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2012, 14:38   #15

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

My understanding is that a Yachtmaster Offshore with commercial endorsement allows you to work on a red ensign vessel and qualifies you to take the Yachtmaster 200 Tonnes exam (I think it's oral) after you log the requisite number of miles - which is an international license (also recognized by the USCG, I think - edit: I was reading about a training that is recognized by MCA and USCG - the actual Yachtmaster 200 isn't USCG recognized). Not sure of the details - I have no commercial aspirations but thought a commercial endorsement might be fun/useful as I was considering the Yachtmaster Offshore anyway and not much extra work. If anyone knows all the details, I'd be curious.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license