Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 10:29   #16
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: USCG clearance for Canadian sailboat

OK, thanks for clarifying.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:33   #17

I suppose one way is to just phone in your arrival. As you just purchased the boat, seems that would be a legitimate way to go. If they balk for any reason then just ask how you should do it. As mentioned above, they are usually pretty helpful to someone trying to do the right thing... this is from their website... and it reads "boaters" not "Boats"

Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit (I-68)
Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit (I-68) applicants for admission into the United States by small pleasure boats are inspected and issued an I-68 permit for the entire boating season. The I-68 permit allows boaters to enter the United States from Canada for recreational purposes with only the need to report to CBP by telephoning in their arrival.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 10:48   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I suppose one way is to just phone in your arrival. As you just purchased the boat, seems that would be a legitimate way to go. If they balk for any reason then just ask how you should do it. As mentioned above, they are usually pretty helpful to someone trying to do the right thing... this is from their website... and it reads "boaters" not "Boats"

Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit (I-68)
Canadian Border Boat Landing Permit (I-68) applicants for admission into the United States by small pleasure boats are inspected and issued an I-68 permit for the entire boating season. The I-68 permit allows boaters to enter the United States from Canada for recreational purposes with only the need to report to CBP by telephoning in their arrival.
It is about the person not the boat though I bet there's some rules about leaving your boat too. A US citizen in Canada can leave their boat and leave the country for long periods only if it's in a yard for repairs. I think you can leave it at a marina for two weeks or something.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 15:58   #19

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch 40'
Re: USCG Clearance for Canadian Sailboat

Thanks for all of you for your suggestions and opinion. Based on these suggestions I have contacted US Customs and also did detailed search for all possible means.
Yes, there are two different way to handle my problem. Both were actually suggested by some of you.
The first is to get a cruising permit by US Customs. The officer I was talking to was really helpful in this matter.
The second is to register my boat in one of the US States (not federally) Foreign owned and foreign registered boats can be state registered without problem. This is either a yearly or biannual process but while registered you can cruise the USA anywhere.
I have opted to register my boat in Rhode Island, since the boat is actually there and will be launched in the same state.
The registration requires a few documents but when you have them you can mail it along with a registration form and a check. I have already mailed all of it and the time to get back the registration document and a decal is about 3-4 weeks.

Thank you again for all your help, fair winds
Nicholas
BMiklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 17:31   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMiklos View Post
The second is to register my boat in one of the US States (not federally) Foreign owned and foreign registered boats can be state registered without problem. This is either a yearly or biannual process but while registered you can cruise the USA anywhere.
I have opted to register my boat in Rhode Island, since the boat is actually there and will be launched in the same state. ............
So do you fly the Canadian or U.S. flag?
Old 13-05-2012, 17:42   #21

Boat: Union Polaris 36

cool, we went through the same thing, we just went with the permit, they don't seem to enforce calling in at every new cbp jurisdiction. I'm not sure about taxes in RI, but if they have them on boat sales,.you will be paying them once you're registered. Governments like money. We had to leave FL for a day just to avoid taxes and we had a foreign flagged boat (canadian)

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 20:31   #22

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch 40'

Flying the Canadian or US Flag...? Since the boat is Canadian Registered, it should be the Canadian flag. The fact that it is registered in Rhode Island as a foreign vessel, does not change her origin. Would you like to fly a US ensign..?? Maybe it would not be illegal but why? As you can see i do not have a firm answer for this question.

There is no tax on boats in Rhode Island and neither in Delaware. I was told that Delaware is the easiest place to register, I did not try. But registereing in Rhode Island, the only money I pay is the yearly registration fee of 125 Dollars for a 40' boat.
BMiklos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2012, 04:23   #23

Boat: Union Polaris 36

that makes sense, it's just a number on the front of the boat. It doesn't mean anything outside of the US, and for sure you can fly a Canadian flag, that's where it is officially registered. I guess it is like having a Canadian passport and US state drivers licence. The passport trumps, but the licence is handy

Life's a dream, live it!
youmeandthed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailboat