Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 22:24   #16

Boat: Albin Vega 27
New Hampshire has online boat registration.
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 22:33   #17

Re: U.S. Boat Registration...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentientcj View Post
I admit I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing.

I bought a boat in Florida, I'm in Colorado, I'll shortly sail it out to the carib and won't be back in the U.S. for a couple of years.

The broker told me I had 90 days to get it out of FL or I'd have to register it there.

Do I just register it there? Register it in CO? Don't register it at all?
Two key questions are : are you a US citizen, and is the boat USCG documented? If you are a US citizen, it's all good but if you are not, you cannot own a USCG documented boat and it will have to be de-documented, and state registered.
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 04:10   #18

There is NO tax in Rhode Island.
flagorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 05:25   #19

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

Register in a State after you review the tax requirements. I am only registered with the USCG. In the islands that is needed. There are many islnds here that do not accept state registraitons. If and when I come back to the Sates, I will then register and pay state taxes. I think USCG costs $52.00 and are VERY helpful.

You will probably get a notice to register in your home state for sales tax. ME did this when I purchased my boat, I just should them that I was out of the country for a year and received a waiver form the state. Keep you rreceipts.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 06:52   #20

Boat: Grand banks 32' Classic
We went thru this when we bought our trawler in FL. 90 days to get it out, get a fuel receipt from GA or wherever you go, AND there is a form to file with FL. If you come back into FL after the waiting period (can't remember if it is 6 mos or a year, think a year), you can stay 90 days. If more than 90 days they will require you to pay for both FL registration AND the difference between the sales tax paid and their tax rate. We live in RI (no sales tax on boats), and hence would be liable for all of FL sales tax, even though our boat is both USCG documented and registered in RI. Your broker should know all of this, and should have provided the FL exit form, and the sales contract should state that the boat is being sold to go out of FL. An uninformed broker (I'm being gentle) can cost you a bunch of money...
rolandcavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 11:39   #21

Boat: Albin Vega 27
No tax in nh either, just registration stuff that can be mailed in
Inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 06:35   #22

Wow! Just amazing how much WRONG information is being posted here.

In post #8 of this thread, jeremiason provided a link to a document that has all of the information that is needed. The CORRECT information, provided by the state of Florida. Go there. Read it carefully. If you are not sure what it is telling you then you need to talk to an attorney.

The legal and tax advice that you get from a forum like this one is worth exactly what you pay for it--NOTHING!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 10:22   #23

Boat: Pacific Mariner 65

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You may have "gotten away with it" but that doesn't mean it is proper. Owners of boats bought and kept in Fl over 90 days are required to pay sales tax REGARDLESS of Federal documentation.

The rest of us comply with tax requirements and I consider it an insult every time I read someone trying to get away with something. For every person that doesn't pay his fair share, the rest of us get (more) screwed. You aren't entitled to game the system and serve only to create a bigger burden on the rest of us.
I didn't 'get away' with anything nor did I even try to get away with anything. I didn't purchase the boat in Florida, nor did I leave it in Florida. I left the country, once I splashed the boat, and only store it on the hard when I return. It's not trying to get away with anything. Nor are you required to register a boat and pay sales tax on it. Don't falsely accuse people of screwing the system or others....
rockerdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 18:17   #24

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentientcj
I admit I have absolutely NO idea what I'm doing.

I bought a boat in Florida, I'm in Colorado, I'll shortly sail it out to the carib and won't be back in the U.S. for a couple of years.

The broker told me I had 90 days to get it out of FL or I'd have to register it there.

Do I just register it there? Register it in CO? Don't register it at all?
Well, from reading previous threads I gather you can simply put the newly purchased boat up on the hard until you have decided where and how to register. Clock stops ticking - yes?

Get your registration done, antifoul and then splash with your newly registered boat and away you go. Cannot think of a good reason to pay state taxes if you are sailing off to the Carib. Sounds like you will be best with CG registration and run.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration