Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 06:56   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: TAX IMPLICATIONS

I bought a Hunter 37 in NC... there were no taxes... when it came time to leave I contacted Customs at Moorehead City/Beaufort and was told to bring all my documentation in to them... they did all the necessary processing... inquired whether I wanted a cruising permit... asked for an estimated departure date...
1 week later I collected everything back and just had to clear out as normal when I headed out for the Azores

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:08   #17
cruiser

Re: TAX IMPLICATIONS

You should be able to get some help on this issue from your RI broker or an attorney there in RI. So far, I've just seen quite a bit of bad advice and missinformation on this thread. Maybe it would be best to start over again. Tax laws here vary significantly from state to state, kind of like dealing with 50 different countries... With California being the worst. If you plan on spending several years here, I'd look into the possibility of continuing to have the boat flagged in the US with a home port in RI. Many less hassles if you can somehow do it.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:16   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: TAX IMPLICATIONS

Not giving advice... just my experience...
Also... I was on a 90 day visa... the boat could leave and re-enter for the rest of its life no worries... just needed the cruising permit and valid visa... I took UK Reg... launched and sea trialed the boat and sailed away.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 22:22   #19

Boat: Ted Hood, J. S 116 ft.
Re: TAX IMPLICATIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamson03 View Post
Thanks for that, I think I will stick to plan A. That is, visiting customs and immigration at Providence RI before I leave Newport RI.
The officer I spoke to at customs Providence was quite a decent guy. I have his name so I will ask for him when I arrive there. All I want is a definative answer and a piece of official paper to back it up. That way, I should be able to keep the right side of the law all the way down to my destination, Norfolk VA.
HI! Williamson, I like plan A too.... Me and my crew just took the trip on the outside of Delaware and "not" the bay side. We found the trip was really good and allot quicker on the out-side or Ocean Coastal side. However; from Ocean City down to the bridge to Norfolk, VA its really sparse for any pull in's The inlet's are very shallow even at high tides. Were the our charts claimed low is 12' feet it was actually only 4 - 5' feet at low tide. Found the sand has shifted allot. But, it was a sandy bottom. The two stops I had the crew stop over was Lewis, Delaware and then Ocean City, Virginia.
Lewis was great and right down town no car needed for supplies. Restaurants all over the place.. It, really was a fun place to meet my family there. Plus; my mother keeps her sailboat there too...LOL It's a Pearson 303. At her age in the 80's that's a big boat for her now...LOL
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Regards, Richard Happy Sailing!!
TheTeelSea is offline   Reply With Quote