Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 07:14   #1

Boat: Vagabond 42
Lights on a pier question

The condo association next door to my house has a pier that extends about 400' into Galveston Bay. Recently they put a red and a green light at the end of the pier. From the water, in the dark, it looks like a vessel underway coming towards you. Is it legal to put what looks a lot like navigation lights on a fixed pier structure?
callistov42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:44   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Lights on a pier question

Report it to the USCG, they will tell you.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 07:47   #3

No, they should not be lighting their dock to look like a vessel underway. There are specific light signals for fixed objects and specific light signals for vessels underway.

Fixed objects typically blink in patterns. Vessels underway typically use constant lights. I've seen flashing red and or green lights on docks. I spent a number of years at a Marina that had a solid red light on the clubhouse roof. It was way to high and too far on shore to be mistaken for anything else. It was to locate the marina. I thought it should have been green and flashing.

In this case, placing a flashing red on the Left side of the dock (as your coming in from sea) and a flashing green on the right side would actually make sense. Pass with the flashing red to Stbd or flashing green to port and you miss the dock.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:08   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

The condo association probably has no clue what any light means, and they probably got poor advice from a contractor. Without being a busy-body, you might send a note to the association board telling them about your concern and that they are opening themselves to some liability if a boater hits their dock. Even if the boater was drunk, they would share in the liability because someone would surely mention the meaning of the lights. The low-cost solution is to make those lights flash. At 400 feet out, that shouldn't bother anyone on shore.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:26   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

I have a waterfront condo. The prior owner mounted marine red and green lights on the porch so it appeared, from the lake, that a boat was coming right at you if it was a dark night and nobody else was home.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:35   #6

Boat: Colvic 40' Ketch

I have done some quick research as all my colregs with IALA for my yachtmaster qualifications were to do with collision regulations of moving boats. I cant find anything helpful. Our port has two "hammerheads" and they are marked with a single red light at each end of the head.
FionaJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:36   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Report it to the USCG, they will tell you.
This is the correct answer. Hopefully, if it's against the rules, the USCG will take care of it.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:00   #8

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

If your association is like almost all, they will have a concern about regs, but not do anything, UNLESS you remind them the association and maybe the board members themselves could have liability if a vessel mistook the lights and something bad happened. Still the USCG is the best start. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my mind is a thought about yellow lighting and signage being proper to mark piers and jetties, but do not rely on this.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:51   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

The lighting on a fixed obstruction--which I would think would include a pier project 400 feet into the Bay--would be governed by 33CFR67, "Aids to Navigation on Artificial Islands and Fixed Structures". Given the description I believe Subpart 67.30--Class "C" (Structures) Requirements would apply.

Based upon the foregoing it would appear that only white and or red lighting would be permitted. Note that as stipulated, Private Aid(s) to Navigation "PATON" on navigable waters regulated by the federal government require a Coast Guard permit. For more see (click on) PATON
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:54   #10

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I agree folks. The lights should be flashing and the right colours should be on the right ends. However, think about it. If they appear from the seaward side as a vessel coming straight at you, why would anyone taking them as that run into the dock?
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:54   #11

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

And better they have some light to show it is there than nothing.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:39   #12
Marine Service Provider

The bar at my yacht club has red and green lights on the entrance that can be seen from the parking lot. They indicate that the bar is open. Maybe they were just advertising their bar.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:46   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Lights on a pier question

Could give some rookie sailor a shock when he tries to enter an assumed 'Channel' on a dark night..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:07   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

If it is legal lighting it will appear on the chart for that area.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:24   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Could give some rookie sailor a shock when he tries to enter an assumed 'Channel' on a dark night..
Or worse yet, if a vessel operator, who, for some reason was uncertain about his/her position, saw the lights and did take them as another vessel, massive and even dangerous confusion could result. Not good.