Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2013, 06:19   #91
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: i keep peeving tugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Contrary to most of my cruising bretheren. I have long advocated for mandatory "boating licences". I believe the Power Squadron 11 week course should be an absolute mandatory minimum.

Scoobert undeniably proves my point.
Sorry, i have to lol at that.
I will not take an 11 week course, unless i choose someday to be a delivery captain. Your out of your mind.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:20   #92

Boat: Mac 26X
We have mandatory car drivers license and that doesn't help. If a guy in major shipping lanes doesn't have the sense to tien on a radio, no amount of rules or laws or licenses will help. Darwin will have his way
Old 06-07-2013, 06:40   #93

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

The European ICC would be a good model as it requires both theory and practice. Power Squadron is theory only. The Canadian Operator card is way too easy to acquire.
Old 06-07-2013, 06:50   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
We have mandatory car drivers license and that doesn't help. If a guy in major shipping lanes doesn't have the sense to tien on a radio, no amount of rules or laws or licenses will help. Darwin will have his way
For many professionals the use of a VHF violate rules is not acceptable. Check out mgn 167.pdf on this site. http://www.portsmouth-port.co.uk/pmsc/pm29000.htm
Old 06-07-2013, 07:19   #95

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Doubtful they threw their engines into reverse (3 short blasts). I'm assuming five, which is the danger signal.
I'm sorry but this is just not correct

Five blasts is NOT a danger signal it means I do not understand your intentions

Lets at least get these things right

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 06-07-2013, 07:22   #96

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
Sorry, i have to lol at that.
I will not take an 11 week course, unless i choose someday to be a delivery captain. Your out of your mind.
You should take a course. You pbviously know nothing about sailing and are a danger to everyone else on the water

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 06-07-2013, 07:33   #97

Learned something today that might be helpful here .... it seems that you can do the power squadron courses online, at your own pace. Good choice for us schedule-constrained types
Old 06-07-2013, 07:36   #98

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Definitely a troll. Thanks folks, I learned a lot from this exercise. Learning was not the OP's objective, rather, he's lonely and in need of social contact. Hopefully it remains social and not collisional. I'm out of here now. I am appreciative, though, of how nicely others have tried to steer a seemingly inexperienced person toward safer waters. This guy is looking for something other than information. Aloha.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:17   #99

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Nope. Not fishing. That is a no-brainer. Just on their way to the fishing grounds and concerned about fuel cost and time. They all hate sailboats as well since they cut their nets with deep keels. Best to just give wide berth.
I am an instructor in both sail & power. Agree with boatpoker. Basic license should be required as it is in BC. Also "Get Your Captain's License" comes with a good CD that I still review from time to time especially Rules of The Road. Most difficult test when getting your USCG Master's License. When in doubt: "Slow down and think".
Old 06-07-2013, 09:25   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Nope. Not fishing. That is a no-brainer. Just on their way to the fishing grounds and concerned about fuel cost and time. They all hate sailboats as well since they cut their nets with deep keels. Best to just give wide berth.
I am an instructor in both sail & power. Agree with boatpoker. Basic license should be required as it is in BC. Also "Get Your Captain's License" comes with a good CD that I still review from time to time especially Rules of The Road. Most difficult test when getting your USCG Master's License. When in doubt: "Slow down and think".
I just about got run down by a fish boat in Georgia Strait one night. He was clearly running on autopilot while overtaking.

I also teach both power and sail.

ColRegs debates will also keep one current.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:26   #101

Lived in Copenhagen for a year in 1971. Love that place. 5 short blasts is the Danger Signal or also "I doubt your intentions". You are both right.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:55   #102

Know it well. Grew up in Cornet Bay (Just inside Deception Pass). I was running in B'ham Bay during broad daylight when a Purse Seiner almost ran me over. Had to change course. He was wide awake and looking at me. He knew what he was doing. Have spent years cruising the Gulf Islands, Sunshine Coast and Desolation. Just bought steel Roberts 44. Restoring it now. 350 gallons of fuel. Full King aft. 40,000 lbs. Love and hate her.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:59   #103

Scoobert,

thanks for posting the pic of your craft, for now I know that when I see you, to give you all the room in the world
Old 06-07-2013, 10:03   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
To give an addition to this valuable memory aid, the differences between meeting (and the above signals) and overtaking are often (OK, let's be honest) almost always not understood.

The way to keep it straight is: The vessel initiating the signals sounds One or Two short blasts. These indicate that the vessel is going to turn to Starboard (one blast) or to port (two blasts). This is the SAME whether the vessel is meeting, or overtaking.

The confusion comes when you are being overtaken. The guy is coming up behind you, and sounds one Blast. He is going to turn to starboard. That makes him overtake you on your Starboard side.

This is backwards from a meeting situation. Meeting on one blast, you would be met on the port side. I wish I had the graphics from the CG exam, but I can't find them. If nothing is learned about standing by on a Radio, then learn what whistle signals mean. it could save your life (or mine, so I don't have a heart attack meeting you.)
This si what confuses people about Roy's simpler explanation.

The simpler explanation is: the toots do not necessarily mean what direction the skipper is turning, but rather what side is the one being passed by the initiating boat. One toot means he's passing on his port side to the second boat.

Simple?

Here's Roy's post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
The easy way I learned the sound signals for passing was: starboard has two syllables, port has one. Regardless of intent or request, this interpretation is impossible to confuse.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 06-07-2013, 10:05   #105

Boat: Prairie 29

Scoobert. Here is the dilemma. (And, even though others are making fun of you, in reality almost every one on here is guilty to a certain degree of this myopia)

I was at 'your favorite place' this morning. Guess who I met there. A Northbound yacht. Here are some interesting photos I took.

Photo one. Approaching Coeymans, I am dead center in the channel. The NB SV is under power, and appears to be 'on his side of the channel'

Picture two. Is he really on 'his side'??? No. He is HEADING to his side, but at this distance, This is unknown. (Iin reality, this guy was super, and kept heading away, towards his side of the channel) Often the small boat does the 'nautical squirrel' and waffles. Then I am on the horn with the 5 blasts, danger signal, wake the eff up, and get the eff out of the way. (Note the 'B' can by Coeymans dike. There is an 8' spot right on channels edge. I can't go outside the channel at all 23' draft!!!)

As we come closer, how does this look? Picture 3.

When abeam, he IS on his side, I am in the middle, and all is well.

From the pictures you may see a slightly different perspective from my POV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Coeymans 1.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	63663   Click image for larger version

Name:	coeymans 2.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	63664  

Click image for larger version

Name:	coeymans 3.JPG