Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2023, 20:28   #1

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
How to extend Mexican T.I.P. ?

I first brought my boat to Mexico in 2014 where I was issued a TIP (temp import permit). Since then, I've returned to Mexico twice using the same TIP which is good for 10 years.

I plan to return again to Mexico in October and remain there until next March or early April (bound for S. Pac) - but my TIP expires next February. I don't want to clear out and then "hang around" for a month getting ready to depart, not my style. So my only option is to extend the TIP for another 10 years, just to stay a few more weeks.

I spent some time googling, but I cannot find the answer of how to extend the TIP. Anyone know? Does it have to be done in the US before I re-enter Mexico, or can I enter the country in October and get it extended at that time (in Ensenada). Thanks.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2023, 23:29   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: How to extend Mexican T.I.P. ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanbigel View Post
I first brought my boat to Mexico in 2014 where I was issued a TIP (temp import permit). Since then, I've returned to Mexico twice using the same TIP which is good for 10 years.

I plan to return again to Mexico in October and remain there until next March or early April (bound for S. Pac) - but my TIP expires next February. I don't want to clear out and then "hang around" for a month getting ready to depart, not my style. So my only option is to extend the TIP for another 10 years, just to stay a few more weeks.

I spent some time googling, but I cannot find the answer of how to extend the TIP. Anyone know? Does it have to be done in the US before I re-enter Mexico, or can I enter the country in October and get it extended at that time (in Ensenada). Thanks.

I'm not sure but I seem to remember you can contact the Mexican consulate and they may be able to answer your questions.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 01:02   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: How to extend Mexican T.I.P. ?

Check into Mexico at Ensenada and hire an agent. The agent at Marine Coral wanted $500. The agent at Baja Naval wanted $50. Take your pick, but be aware the TIP can only renewed once per boat.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote