Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2023, 09:43   #16

Boat: Planet, Earth LOA∞
Re: EPA aspects of importing a boat to the US.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
See the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR) for the full text of current domestic regulations that apply to marine diesel engines and vessels.

https://www.epa.gov/regulations-emis...ne-compression
I've tried reading many EPA documents on this subject and have NEVER reached a conclusion other than they're written for the moat creators and maintainers.
Sorry but none of that material is of any use to my feeble straight talking brain.
EPA pdfs
fcftampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 07:54   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I'm in Europe, I will need to give this a closer look next time I'm back to my boat... I'm about 99% certain that the main engine and the generator have ALSO an EPA sticker on them. OK, the generator is an Onan, not very surprising but the main engine is a Volvo (in an European CE certified boat) and still has the EPA sticker on it. Maybe this makes the OP's concern a non issue?
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2023, 08:23   #18

I'm better prepared than I thought. Here is a pic of the main engine sticker.
(I hope the pic shows up!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3 Model and serial number .jpg
Views:	31
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	284575  
Old 19-12-2023, 16:45   #19

Boat: Sabre 402

Sounds a lot like posts #4 and #6 may have had some validity? And all it takes is looking at the engine? The broker could even take a picture like Loredo did and send it to the OP to avoid unnecessary trips to boats that might present problems.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 02:06   #20

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako View Post
Wow OP, I feel bad for you. I tried going head to head with the EPA years ago. It's like trying to battle the IRS.

If you're going through all the trouble to buy in Europe and sail back to America, then I assume it's a relatively large and expensive boat model. How about just budget for replacing the engine overseas with a compliant model and do things right. Spending money never makes you happy, but if it is to be your lifetime boat, then a new engine will always make you smile.
This is certainly a possibility, especially if it's an engine I wouldn't mind upgrading anyway. Thanks for the input.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2023, 02:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcftampa View Post
I've tried reading many EPA documents on this subject and have NEVER reached a conclusion other than they're written for the moat creators and maintainers.
Sorry but none of that material is of any use to my feeble straight talking brain.
EPA pdfs
Yep! I have a folder of saved EPA documents - clear as mud.
Old 20-12-2023, 02:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loredo View Post
I'm in Europe, I will need to give this a closer look next time I'm back to my boat... I'm about 99% certain that the main engine and the generator have ALSO an EPA sticker on them. OK, the generator is an Onan, not very surprising but the main engine is a Volvo (in an European CE certified boat) and still has the EPA sticker on it. Maybe this makes the OP's concern a non issue?
This is very useful - Thank You!

I'll certainly be looking out for this as it could make things a lot easier. I was trying to gather information but I've now moved on to "find the boat" and then figure things out once I know the specifics. I am willing to re-power if necessary. I really appreciate this input.
Old 21-12-2023, 01:21   #23

EPA certified marine diesel engine : https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...T&opi=89978449
Old 21-12-2023, 01:31   #24

Engine certification is a complex process. I'm not up to date with the EPA rules & requirements thus can't be of much help. Anyhow, once you know the exact engine family, it is possible to find a copy of the emissions certification for that engine on the EPA website. (Or at least it was so several years ago). For example the engine family of my engine is "FVPXN02.4DCB".
That makes researches in EPA's vast database much easier and that's how I found the above link with a simple Google search.
Old 21-12-2023, 02:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loredo View Post
Engine certification is a complex process. I'm not up to date with the EPA rules & requirements thus can't be of much help. Anyhow, once you know the exact engine family, it is possible to find a copy of the emissions certification for that engine on the EPA website. (Or at least it was so several years ago). For example the engine family of my engine is "FVPXN02.4DCB".
That makes researches in EPA's vast database much easier and that's how I found the above link with a simple Google search.
Thank you for this, it could prove very useful. Your Google-fi is obviously better than mine - I spent hours and didn't find this. Once we have a specific boat, I'll work out what we need to do.

Thank You!
Old 21-12-2023, 06:06   #26

Glad I could help a bit.
If I can help you in this adventure, once you have found the right boat and have a pic of the engine emissions sticker, feel free to PM me. Maybe I can help.(?)
BTW, I think also the Yanmar (Build in 2006) in my previous boat had an EPA sticker on it but I can't find any pics of it. Also here I'm 99% certain.
Old 21-12-2023, 06:49   #27

Why didn't I think about it sooner?!?
CARB!
I think almost all engines are sold in California too. Means, the engines need a certification for CARB too. CARB has a much better / more accessible data base than EPA. Since CARB has more stringent emissions than EPA, any certificate (CARB EO) is valid in the other 51 states.
CARB EO's can be requested here :https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/new-vehicle-a...y-duty-engines
That's of course only after you know the engine family number.

Tags
boat, import