Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2021, 10:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Did you have to get a formal Tonnage Certificate?

The US is simple. I've owned two 47' Leopard cats, one sailing one power. One was deflagged from French and reflagged to US, the other was US flagged when constructed. No such nonsense with either. Note that only US citizens or companies controlled by US citizens may own a USCG documented vessel. US state registrations are available to anyone, just remember to pay the tax collectors.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 11:13   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBCurtis View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I did a search as you indicated and only had one hit. And for some reason not much information on the vessel is shown. Tonnage is "N/A". The only data is HIN, Vessel Flag (Virgin Islands), length and build year. Says "Service Status" is Active.
Yachtworld has a 435, searching on her name (with a space - GYPSEA HORSE) yields a vessel with JMA92, that’s the only one I could find, and I think there’s more than one 435 model, but at least it gives you some dimensions and tonnage. Either way, if you search some cats you know you’ll see they all use simplified, which should give some confidence in going down that road.
HeywoodJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2021, 13:12   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeywoodJ View Post
You can search the USCG database. If you have your HIN (presume you do from your TC application) enter just the first five characters (1-3 = manufacturer, 4-5 = model) in the HIN box and search. It will return all documented vessels of the same model. You can click on each record to see details, including what tonnage they used and whether it was simplified or formal.
Thanks. I found a half dozen or so, all "Simplified". Very comforting.

Found I had to search by HIN without the "FR" prefix shown on my boat's prior documentation.
RBCurtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 17:28   #19

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lucia

Hello RBCurtis,

I just received my Transport Canada registration using the simplified method this past week The rule is under 12 metres. The reason the cost is likely higher is the fact that the surveyor must be certified by Transport Canada.
The regulation is quite silly as your yacht may never see Canadian waters. They should simply accept the builders report.

Good luck with your adventures and congratulations on your purchase.

Robert
Maple Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote