Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2011, 22:49   #46
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Cruising the World with a State Registration ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Seems to me life for US boaters would be simpler if US boat documentation was available to all U.S. craft. This seems necessary since some/many nations do not respect the sovereignty of the 50 states. Little do foreign nations know that the 50 states license the vast majority of economic activity (CPAs, barbers, attorneys at law, medical doctors, automobiles, boats, etc.) in the U.S. The US would do its citizens a favor if it considered the ignorance of some foreign nations.
Hey, I take umbrage at "ignorance of some foreign nations" bit - just kidding, I know you mean the "the other ignorance foreign nations".

But somewhat seriously, AFAIK, none of your 50 sovereign states has much international exposure or standing, they don't have their own standing armies, navies or air forces, foreign policy etc etc They don't operate independently to United States of America on the world's stage.

I do agree with your main point
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 23:00   #47

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
AFAIK, none of your 50 sovereign states has much international exposure or standing, they don't have their own standing armies, navies or air forces, foreign policy etc etc They don't operate independently to United States of America on the world's stage.

I do agree with your main point
The States have their own national guards (state militia) which includes air and ground armed forces. Geez, and many nations have little or no national defense forces (like Canada?). And don't you know cities like San Francisco and Berkeley have their own foreign policies? Also, I'm pretty sure the State of Virginia has sufficient military forces on its own to conquer the Bahamas.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2011, 23:29   #48

Quote:
The States have their own national guards (state militia) which includes air and ground armed forces. Geez, and many nations have little or no national defense forces (like Canada?). And don't you know cities like San Francisco and Berkeley have their own foreign policies? Also, I'm pretty sure the State of Virginia has sufficient military forces on its own to conquer the Bahamas.
I would like to know more but as this is straying further into politics and away from cruising, I will PM you instead.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 07-04-2011, 15:37   #49

Quote:
Seems to me life for US boaters would be simpler if US boat documentation was available to all U.S. craft. This seems necessary since some/many nations do not respect the sovereignty of the 50 states. Little do foreign nations know that the 50 states license the vast majority of economic activity (CPAs, barbers, attorneys at law, medical doctors, automobiles, boats, etc.) in the U.S. The US would do its citizens a favor if it considered the ignorance of some foreign nations.

I agree. MY future voyages will be aboard a boat "too small" for documentation by USCG. Yes, I've called them to see if there were exceptions to allow smaller vessels to obtain documentation. Afterall, it's revenue. No dice.
What can we do to fix this?????
colo.sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:27   #50

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Quote:
I think the state of VA could conquer most countries of the world!

Also, Texas was it's own country for awhile and for a very short time the Keys were as well.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:15   #51

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

This is going back a few years, but I recall (perhaps incorrectly) that in Canada Provinces had control over vessel registration and there was no National Registry unlike the USCG Documentation Center. Many Canadian cruisers travelled broadly under their Provincial Registration CF number without incident, I believe.
I take issue with the statement that Canada doesn't have a national defence force. I went to a parade in Ottawa in the 50's and there seemed to be heaps of soldiers in it... certainly enough to stop traffic and great marching band as well! Capt Phil (ex Canuck)
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:25   #52

During the Gulf War (1st one) we had half the Canadian Navy in the Red Sea with us. They left the other boat at home.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:34   #53

Probably only had enough seamen to man one at a time! CP
Old 08-04-2011, 09:46   #54

Actually I was very impressed with the Canadians, Brits, and Aussies that helped us out over there. Oh and the French showed up too.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:34   #55

My apologies, amytom... didn't mean the remark to be disparaging to Canadian forces. The ones I have known personally are tough, committed warriors. There just aren't many of them. They, the Aussies and the Brits are some of the most formidable soldiers you can find IMO... must be careful to make my tongue in cheek remarks more clearly in jest. As an ex Canadian, I feel comfortable in the company of fellow Commonwealthers... cheers, Capt Phil
Old 08-04-2011, 11:37   #56

No offense taken. I was just looking for an opportunity to pick on the French
Old 08-04-2011, 11:40   #57

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

The vast majority of boats in the USA are bass boats, small run-abouts and speed boats used for fishing and other very local activities. Requiring Federal documentation for them would swamp the Feds in paperwork for which the majority of boats would never have a need or reason to go international. When CB radio's hit the market everybody had to have a FCC license which the FCC quickly found out was a stupid idea as millions and millions of applications flooded in and the whole system ground to a halt. So they exempted CB and even local VHF radio's from requiring a FCC license for inside the USA use.
- - But I would agree that anybody in any size boat that is really intending to travel internationally should be able to get a USCG documentation. You might try contacting your representative or senator to assist in getting one.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:02   #58

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
My apologies, amytom... didn't mean the remark to be disparaging to Canadian forces. The ones I have known personally are tough, committed warriors. There just aren't many of them. They, the Aussies and the Brits are some of the most formidable soldiers you can find IMO... must be careful to make my tongue in cheek remarks more clearly in jest. As an ex Canadian, I feel comfortable in the company of fellow Commonwealthers... cheers, Capt Phil
Captn Phil, now you've slighted New Zealanders.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:40   #59

And I thought that Kiwis were just 'snap frozen' Aussies... at least I have a perfect record of offending somebody in every post! Cheers, CP
Old 08-04-2011, 16:53   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
This is going back a few years, but I recall (perhaps incorrectly) that in Canada Provinces had control over vessel registration and there was no National Registry unlike the USCG Documentation Center. Many Canadian cruisers travelled broadly under their Provincial Registration CF number without incident, I believe.
Twas the same in Oz until we signed some International Maritime Convention (possibly in the mid eighties)!!!

Tags
cruising, registration