Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2010, 10:53   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Its a damn sight closer for you to take home too.
Actually the boat is already just a few hundred nautical miles from where I want it.

The desire for guaranteed warm weather and water I can comfortably swim in after a day's sailing more than outweighs the inconvenience of distance.
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 16:14   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
If the boat is UK registered, vat is already paid in the EU and none of the parties in the transaction are Greek or reside in Greece, then does Greece have any part of the transaction even if the boat is lying in Greece?
No other then paying the new greek taxes since the boat is bg enough not to be excempted. But on the VAt etc, no it has nothing to do with the Greeks.
Which is why hiring a greek lawyer is not good advice. The better thing if you want to pay lawyers is either hire a Swedish one or an UK one. For a start nether party is Greek and will not understand a word of the contract!!.

A greek lawyer might be of use if the seller was Greek .
dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 14:17   #18

Arrrrrgggghhhh

I got copies of various documents from the seller and then signed up with the RYA so I can look through their advice section. The more I look into this the more I am getting scared off and I am beginning to think I should just buy a toy boat to play with in the bath.

It is almost laughable how uncontrolled the whole ownership/vat/liabilities situation is with yachts. It almost feels like playing Russian roulette with a semi-automatic

As a nice little extra the LOA of the boat is just over 12m which would put it in the Swedish ships register but the CE document uses the hull length which puts it under 12m and therefore is eligible for the simpler boat registry. The Swedish transport authority does not say which length they use although the Swedish Cruising club that handles the boat register does use LOA on their form. Clearly the EU law harmonisation has not touch the boating sector but the bureaucrats in Brussels have managed to straightened out laws regarding bananas Council Regulation (EEC) No 404/93 of 13 February 1993 on the common organization of the market in bananas

Arrrrrgggghhhh

I would like to say expressing my frustration has given some relief, but it hasn't
Old 13-10-2010, 14:19   #19
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
It is almost laughable how uncontrolled the whole ownership/vat/liabilities situation is with yachts. It almost feels like playing Russian roulette with a semi-automatic
stop worrying and buy it. You get to take it away, its not a house.

You just need
(a) Original Sales Invoice showing VAT
(b) Bills of sales for all transferrs of owners
(c) Simply indemnity signed by seller

Thats all one has , live with it, if on the offchance you get screwed, well.... ( but in general you dont).

PS Directive on bannas was repealed.

dave
Old 13-10-2010, 14:56   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
(a) Original Sales Invoice showing VAT
I received a copy of the original sales invoice from when it was sold new, but it came as an attachment on an email sent to the seller. This makes me think that he does not have the original....

anyway I was doing some googling and came across this article Yachting fraudster declared bankrupt for 15 years - PBO news - Practical Boat Owner magazine | News | Pbo. The "operating under the assumed name" is the same as the seller

Old 13-10-2010, 15:03   #21

Boat: Traditional 30
FWIW, I would hire a greek lawyer, as the transaction will be happening in Greece and under Greek trade laws. You should be able to change registration to your own country remotely. I am in OZ and am able to buy a UK boat in Greece and t/f to Aussie registration from athens without the boat ever sailing into Aussie waters.
Congrats on the new boat
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 15:10   #22
Nearly an old salt

OK hoppy , with that in mind run away.

ozskipper, the transaction is not neccessarily happening in greece as neither the seller nor the buyer are Greek or established in Greece,
Old 13-10-2010, 15:19   #23

Old 13-10-2010, 15:26   #24

Boat: Traditional 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
OK hoppy , with that in mind run away.

ozskipper, the transaction is not neccessarily happening in greece as neither the seller nor the buyer are Greek or established in Greece,
Where will the money change hands and where will the exchange of keys take place? That is the location of the sale imho.

OZ
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2010, 16:14   #25
Nearly an old salt

I suspect given the information Hoppy has , the thread is finished.
Old 13-10-2010, 16:19   #26

Not finished... the is another UK boat that interests me but it in a handshake agreement, so may be something goes wrong with the buyers financing;=
Old 14-10-2010, 04:36   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

By handshake agreement I take it you mean its privately advertised and not with a broker...?
If thats the case the Formal Bill of Sale will/should show the details of the loan if it was specifically for the boat... including name of finance company.
However you can still insist a broker handles the sale and transfer... tho' he may say.. "Fine.. if you pay the fees/commision"

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registered vessel, registration