Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 11:46   #61

Re: Boarded by USCG 60 miles off Key West

"We can thank the Patriot Act for a lot including the thwarting of numerous terrosistic attacks foiled in the US."

Says who, Homeland Security? You could also believe that Prohibition was responsible for ending the sale of booze too. Please don't expect the majority of us to be as naive. Even as I write that there would be no expectation of privacy regarding a boarding by the USCG while paddling, sailing or motoring from Cuba, I have not once suggested it be righteous. The British tried that one on the US back in the 1800's and it didn't end well either. Anyways, this post was originally about being boarded when leaving Cuba, what are the odds?

Seahunter is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 11:52   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

things arent gonna get any easier-- we are going into a particularly dark time for usa--- whenye sail into and out of a smugglers alley, EXPECT to be boarded. or at least , shadowed, stalked and watched hard.
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 12:11   #63

Canada? What's Canada got to do with being boarded by the USCG when leaving Cuba? You might as well start slandering Californians or even Floridians. Please I know it's flag day and all, but duh?

Seahunter is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 12:20   #64

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Just want to point out one minor detail: The 30 cal MG has not been used by the American Armed Forces since early Viet Nam Era. But the USCG may be using the next generation of the MG 60 that uses the 7.62 mm.
The .50 cal Ma duce is still use after all these years, and is a very effective defensive/ tool and vessel mounted an offensive tool.

Though I'm Retired Navy, I've use the Ma duce a few times.
boasun is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 12:21   #65

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
The more witnesses you have to an accidental shooting the harder it would be to cover it up. This would also include witnesses who were crew members of the boat being boarded who certainly would run right to the press if such a thing happened.

Besides, the Coast Guard has enough integrity to never hide such a thing.

no disrespect but so do the local police officers,,,they would NEVER cover up anything would they,,,,,,

didn't the USCG get caught dumping batteries in key west by a chanel marker several years ago,,,,when you are dealing with the human factor anything can happen.

The USCG has by far been the most professional police/marine force that I have ever met or had dealing with
captainKJ is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 12:23   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
Just want to point out one minor detail: The 30 cal MG has not been used by the American Armed Forces since early Viet Nam Era. But the USCG may be using the next generation of the MG 60 that uses the 7.62 mm.
The .50 cal Ma duce is still use after all these years, and is a very effective defensive/ tool and vessel mounted an offensive tool.
I thought that the USCG went to 60 cal. at battery park in 06 this is what they told me.
Old 14-06-2011, 12:28   #67

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
I thought that the USCG went to 60 cal. at battery park in 06 this is what they told me.
M60...not 60 cal ...and yes on the batteries but as usual...once found out by the right levels in the USCG ...without outside influence... the cleanup was started...

If you equate dumping batteries to an accidental shooting during a boarding then of course this whole thread starts to make sense...
psneeld is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 12:29   #68

Quote:
no disrespect but so do the local police officers,,,they would NEVER cover up anything would they,,,,,,

didn't the USCG get caught dumping batteries in key west by a chanel marker several years ago,,,,when you are dealing with the human factor anything can happen.

The USCG has by far been the most professional police/marine force that I have ever met or had dealing with
And while I have respect for local LE officers...there's no comparison for the ability to cover something up...
Old 14-06-2011, 12:30   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by boasun View Post
I've been boarded in the Bering Sea while on a commercial fishing vessel and off of Jamaca while delievering an Offshore Supply Vessel... Both times I cordially invited the USCG on board while letting them know that I was Retired Navy. Didn't have the guns drawn and even hosted their back up boarding party as they trained on boarding an unknown crewed vessel.
The key is to be friendly and have coffee or sodas ready on hand. Heh heh heh! I don't mind them coming aboard and will assist them in their training.
As to the guns drawn... When boarding a vessel and the crew are unknown. How do you know if the crew will resist with extreme prejudice or not? Being prepared and not having to use your weapons can be a good thing... But boarding with your weapons hostlered and not lock & loaded is a bad thing...
You really have to put yourself in those young USCG's shoes and see it from their point of view.
Right,,,and one of those YOUNG USCG shoes slips on a wet slippery deck with gun in hand and Opps,,,,,guns should be holstered and ready to go when boarding,,,

how would you like every cop to walk up to your car with gun drawn just to give you a speeding ticket for going 7 miles over the limit,,
guns should be holstered until absolutely necessary

that is what training is about
Old 14-06-2011, 12:33   #70

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
Canada? What's Canada got to do with being boarded by the USCG when leaving Cuba? You might as well start slandering Californians or even Floridians. Please I know it's flag day and all, but duh?
Let's not forget our earlier discussion if a Canadian flagged boat could legally be boarded outside of U.S. territorial waters. It was a *legitimate* discussion, that I, as a Canadian, have an interest in. My government does not restrict which country I go to .... anywheres in the world.

My thread drift comment had to do with the suggestion that there were no other countries who got involved in fighting terrorism and other issues that the U.S. is involved in. There were a number of presumptive comments made that suggested only the U.S. gets involved in police actions, and as a patriot (we have those in Canada too you know), I was suggesting that other countries contribute, often way above what their populations or military assets may be.
Old 14-06-2011, 12:36   #71

Quote:
Right,,,and one of those YOUNG USCG shoes slips on a wet slippery deck with gun in hand and Opps,,,,,guns should be holstered and ready to go when boarding,,,

how would you like every cop to walk up to your car with gun drawn just to give you a speeding ticket for going 7 miles over the limit,,
guns should be holstered until absolutely necessary

that is what training is about
Again I'll let history speak for itself.....tens of thousands of boardings and what you are describing hasn't happened.

And an at sea boarding is NOT like a routine traffic stop although to the LE officer the outcome can be exactly the same....shot to death by a total unknown.

And as far as I know...guns ARE holstered when actually moving around...long weapons can't be holstered obviously...

the biggest threat comes from the patrol boat with the heavy stuff or the guy with the combat shotgun...I was trained to clear a deck of people in seconds with one by combat loading...the guys with pistols and M-16s are a secondary threat until or even if things get ugly.

Much like prohibition...the shooting hasn't really started yet between the USCG and the bad guys....so boaters should realize the boarding teams while wary aren't all that jumpy unless you make them that way. When the bad guys start shooting up boarding teams..one it will be their giant mistake and two...boaters beware at that point...I wouldn't make the same run at night then.

Plus one last thing...if you knew much about guns...just because you slip and fall doesn't mean you shoot some innocent bystander....
Old 14-06-2011, 12:36   #72
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

havana is the best part of cuba .. if there is one. the rest of the country is falling apart and the people are broke. they drive 40 year old cars that are falling apart. they are bound by law to pick up any hitchhiker. they are told that the US is evil and most believe it. it is the sad legacy of Fidel Castro. they need help and I hope they get it soon. just sayin.
Old 14-06-2011, 12:37   #73

Okay guys,

1. The United States of America has its bad apples, sometimes they outweigh the good apples, our current legislation is NOT representative of many of the population. Please do not muddy "US" with the leaders of the "US". Thanks

2. Given the amount of drug traffic coming up from the islands, the USCG will stop many ships that cross their bow. This is akin to police looking for a fugitive.

3. Despite the fact that like all professional military organizations, the USCG does have some slip ups, they're still the pinnacle of the US military services; they boast the most discriminatory entrance requirements and their training - at least in the water - is on par with the SEALS (correct me if I'm wrong).

4. Please stop the anti-Americanism. We will never forget 9/11 and it will always pain us to discuss such events.
rowingdude is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 12:39   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

New thread.. same drill.

Let's leave the slagging and politics out of this.

Several posts have been removed.
FrankZ is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 12:39   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
havana is the best part of cuba .. if there is one. the rest of the country is falling apart and the people are broke. they drive 40 year old cars that are falling apart. they are bound by law to pick up any hitchhiker. they are told that the US is evil and most believe it. it is the sad legacy of Fidel Castro. they need help and I hope they get it soon. just sayin.
SO DO THE PEOPLE IN WEST VIRGINIA AND OTHER PARTS OF HTE COUNTRY,,,big thread drift but the US should take care of its own first,,lets not add cuba to the list of help others first and forget about our own,,
Closed Thread

Tags
key west