Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 09:23   #16

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
I have both and use both whenever necessary.

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:17   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
I have no need of an inverted cone (power boat) But I always use my day anchor ball. I was in Antigua about 15yrs ago when a cruise ship lost its steering and destroyed several sailboats in St.Johns harbour in a "designated anchorage" . The only boat compensated was the one flying a day anchor ball. Even in a designated anchorage you are required to signal that you are at anchor if you are near a traffic lane.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I have no need of an inverted cone (power boat) But I always use my day anchor ball. I was in Antigua about 15yrs ago when a cruise ship lost its steering and destroyed several sailboats in St.Johns harbour in a "designated anchorage" . The only boat compensated was the one flying a day anchor ball. Even in a designated anchorage you are required to signal that you are at anchor if you are near a traffic lane.
Do you have any idea why the Canadian Coast Guard / RCMP do not enforce the rule(s) in Canada?
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:50   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
We rarely see CCG or RCMP on the water on the great Lakes, they pay little or no attention to pleasure craft are under-manned and they rarely stop pleasure craft. We have the Ontario Provincial Police in some areas with a reasonable presence and a few local police marine units but they know little more than counting life jackets and checking for alcohol consumption. I know a number of these guys and I doubt they have ever heard of Collision Regulations let alone actually read them.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:56   #20

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra
In France, the cone and the ball have been mandatory on yachts for a long time, until there was a big change in the regulations. Then, I got one of each when I bought my boat pre-owned.

When motorsailing, many yachts abstain from displaying the cone, considering that furling or dousing the genoa is enough. I have been told that the Belgian Coast Guards are more severe than the French and many boats have been heavily fined up north. When teaching, I often display the cone, just to remind the trainees of the ColRegs. But when motorsailing with main and genoa up, the cone is not visible on both sides.

When anchoring during the day, I take care to display the ball, because I know how disturbing it is for other skippers to see a yacht yawing close to a channel.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:31   #21

Boat: Catalina, 470, 47',Virago
Cheap Insurance

I had never thought of the potential for lack of insurance coverage do to colregs violation vis a vie anchoring or motoring day shapes. I will go out buy and use this cheap insurance.

I'm new to the forum and this is just the value that I hoped to get out of it.
Philosophical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:41   #22

Boat: '85 Grady white Seafarer 226
Ok I have to ask and this is why I am here but what are you guys talking about. im a powerboater now and these balls and cones are lost to me. are they radar reflectors? thats what I got from the pic. ball at anchor and cone while underway?
once again I apologize for my ignorance.
Just one Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:50   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I went to a plastics store and made my own out of black ABS plastic that can be disassembled and stored flat.

Probably very few yachties know what all the different day shapes mean but if there was a collision, I would be covered in court with respect to the law concerning day shapes. It really is mostly a cover your rear end type of thing.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:50   #24

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
They are day shapes. They are flown to communicate your intentions and actions to the vessels around you. They are usually black in color. The ball indicates that you are anchored. The inverted cone indicates that you are a sailboat operating your engine, the "day" equivilant of running your "steaming light" or masthead light at night, to indicate that you are a sailboat using it's engine.

If I'm not mistaken, the dayshapes are only required in international waters and the waters of some non-US nations. Inland US waters, you're not required to fly these shapes, but you wouldn't be wrong to do so.

You are required to burn the steaming light if you running your engine even if you are also using your sails at the same time. You are not automatically a privileged vessel if you are running your engine, even if your sails are raised.
Old 03-01-2010, 11:53   #25

Boat: '85 Grady white Seafarer 226
Aah that makes since Thanks
Just one Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:02   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbleHeadMd View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the dayshapes are only required in international waters and the waters of some non-US nations. Inland US waters, you're not required to fly these shapes, but you wouldn't be wrong to do so.
Dayshapes are required for vessels inland in the USA, but there are some exceptions.

From Rule 30...
(e) A vessel of less than 7 meters in length, when at anchor not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

(f) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in subparagraphs (d)(i) and (ii) of this Rule.

(g) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor in a special anchorage area designated by the Secretary, shall not be required to exhibit the anchor lights and shapes required by this Rule. [Inland]

Navigation Rules Online

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:10   #27

Boat: Coronado 25
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleHeadMd
Oops, thanks for correcting me David.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15   #28

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
In South Australia i have only seen an" at anchor ball " once while sailing ,my sailing buddy at the time said to me ,"what the hell is that black ball for ?" iam sure he didnt believe me at first when i explained what it meant and as i said its the only time i have seen it displayed here !
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 13:07   #29

Boat: Westsail 32
Heard of a case of a very young jet skier killed by hitting a sailboat at anchor. Father was an attorney who sued and won - sailboat was not displaying anchor ball, so... we carry and use an anchor ball. Almost worse than spilling hot coffee on one's lap, since the child (or any other) jet skier wouldn't know what the ball meant in any case.
Bloodhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 13:32   #30

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
If you are ever up in BC I will be able to spot your boat.

My understanding is that Puget Sound is subject to ColRegs, not Inland Rules.
Opps, yes we are under International Rules- there goes that excuse! At least I'm in good company and there is safety in numbers....I've only seen a motorsailing day shape on the Adventuress!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor