Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2010, 20:38   #1

Worried About New Headsail - What to Look for ?

I received my new headsail today, I don't know much about sail construction but I'm a little concerned about this one. It is a tri-radial laminate from a local Doyle sail loft. The sailmaker came out to measure the boat etc. before making the sail and seemed knowledgeable -- however got the sail today and he forgot to put in the foam luff and telltales I had asked for. Hmm so I start looking more critically at other parts of the sail. Noticed that it was several feet short of the top of the mast, and sheeting it in at the dock, the sail appeared to be a little loose in the top half, just didn't look tight -- sailmaker said he "opened it up in the middle to allow it to fit around the spreaders when close hauled" ... ?

Now for all I know this guy is doing a great job and just forgot about the foam luff and telltales (which he is adding). But does anything I'm saying here sound like cause for concern with other aspects of this sail? What should I do/be looking for to make sure this thing is well made? Thanks.
fishfinder is offline   Reply With Quote