Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 09:06   #31

Re: Why is freshwater better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulter View Post
+1!

Thank you all for the continuing comments. As in most things boating your answers range from black to ... white.

Still, I had neglected to remember the 4 months annual usage angle of northern boats, so this was a good reminder.

I am at the point where I think .........
Regards,

Boulter
Buying a boat is a tough process for sure, by the time I get one bought, I usually realize I forgot some of my own guiding principles that I started with!

no varnish=no cover! Your boat doesn't LEAK, does it?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:16   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tarps can vary. If you buy a car cover, you'll find padding behind each grommet so it doesn't beat and chew into the paint. Boat tarps? Then there's the skill of whoever put it on, whether they got it fitted and snugged down, or left it a little loose vibrating in the wind. It isn't all quit the same and that's one argument in favor of custom boat covers instead of tarps.

Depending on local custom, boats that are hauled in the winter may be kept mast-in or -down. Something else to consider is that if they've been stored mast-in, water gets into the rigging swages, freezes, and spalls them out regardless of what water the boat was sailed in.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:35   #33
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

We kept a wood boat in freshwater for 30 years and managed to keep up with the maintenance.

Four years in the Bay and she was rotting apart faster than we could patch her. Part of the problem was her age and ply build, but the other issue was how hard the salt was on the old systems.

Just sayin...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:55   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Tarps can vary. If you buy a car cover, you'll find padding behind each grommet so it doesn't beat and chew into the paint. Boat tarps? Then there's the skill of whoever put it on, whether they got it fitted and snugged down, or left it a little loose vibrating in the wind. It isn't all quit the same and that's one argument in favor of custom boat covers instead of tarps.

Depending on local custom, boats that are hauled in the winter may be kept mast-in or -down. Something else to consider is that if they've been stored mast-in, water gets into the rigging swages, freezes, and spalls them out regardless of what water the boat was sailed in.

There are some custom covers in my marina that are beautifully made - tight as a drum when they go on and stay that way throughtout the winter.

Just to add to hellosailors point about swages freezing - realize that freeze damage can occur with the foils on roller furling units as well. I have older Harken gears for my staysail and genoa and I drop my mast to store inside every winter. I've had water accumulate in the foil slots during the winter, freeze and cause a split in a foil section, making replacement necessary. The metal in the area of the split is pushed out, which doesn't allow the the furlers headstay car to pass the damaged area.

Now we are always careful to make sure the grooves face down to help keep water from collecting in them. Maybe the new furlers don't have this issue - my old gears have been trouble free from the word go, so I haven't kept up with the different gears on the market today.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 13:51   #35
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
To argue that fresh isn't a selling plus is just ridiculous. My zincs last about 10 years here on the upper Missouri river. Try that in Miami.
zincs are cheap!

but are you sure you should even be using zincs?
Old 10-08-2012, 13:56   #36

Boat: Carver 3207 Aft Cabin, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas

zincs are cheap!

but are you sure you should even be using zincs?
Probably not - now tarp chafing, that one I can relate to. I hate it when my grommets slap and make marks on the hull.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 15:26   #37

Freshwater tastes better.
LostAtSea2011 is offline   Reply With Quote