Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2021, 10:28   #1

Boat: Chrysler C26/Morgan OI 37
Where and when to purchase boat upgrades

Just thinking a head, I will be refitting a boat near the Philippines 37'. If I need to order things, (Auto Pilot, 12v power tools, dyneema, and such) is it better to get it here or try and find it overseas? It will be hard to take any tools with me.

Dan
Skipper_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 10:30   #2

Boat: CT-47
Re: Where and when to purchase boat upgrades

Nearly impossible in the Philippines… buy abroad and ship
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 10:35   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabilo View Post
Nearly impossible in the Philippines… buy abroad and ship

Purchase what I can here and put it in a container ship. Is that stuff taxed once it get there?

In Costa Rica, the tax on stuff you bring in is almost as high as the retail cost.
Old 31-07-2021, 10:38   #4

Boat: CT-47

Yes most likely … you can try “yacht in Transit” or just get the bare minimum you can carry and sail to Hong Kong and get all the rest there
gabilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 11:14   #5

Boat: Catalina 320

Many Filipinos in my area send packages to family weekly using "Balikabayan box" companies. Usually small family run strip mall type places, they ship containers on a regular basis. Try google to see if any near you and what rates are, not fast they go by container ship so 60 days maybe.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:58   #6

Consult with a customs agent in the Philippines as to how you can ship your stuff from the US for yacht in transit. If you cannot find one find one in the US who can direct you. You may also be able to avoid US sales tax if the goods are directly leaving the country.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:50   #7

It is a great community where you can draw down on the advice from others who have first hand experience. And it is all free !
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 08:51   #8

I think this is the route I am going to take. Since the boat in not actually in the Philippines I am going to sail it over there and put it on dry dock for bottom paint and some refit. I will have to look into some of the boat yards. I have heard that the yard its self is good on getting things shipped for you. Probably going to fly back to the US and arrange shipping for most of the things I need once I actually check out the boat.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:02   #9
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skipper_Dan View Post
I think this is the route I am going to take. Since the boat in not actually in the Philippines I am going to sail it over there and put it on dry dock for bottom paint and some refit. I will have to look into some of the boat yards. I have heard that the yard its self is good on getting things shipped for you. Probably going to fly back to the US and arrange shipping for most of the things I need once I actually check out the boat.
I don't think I'm getting the full picture of your project. I would think it best to gather everything together here and then ship it but most countries will tax whatever you import, so best to take whatever you need with you when you sail.

However, this last post has me confused as it sounds like you have not seen the boat and don't know what it really needs at this time. Actually, where is the boat that you are going to sail to the Philippines for refit?

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:09   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Checked in luggage is a good way to bring things into a country. Buy a used suitcase and throw/give it away when done. Customs focuses on boxes. Look like a tourist and go through the nothing to declare line.

When I was cruising I made annual trips to the US and always had a shopping list with me.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 10:25   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
I don't think I'm getting the full picture of your project. I would think it best to gather everything together here and then ship it but most countries will tax whatever you import, so best to take whatever you need with you when you sail.

However, this last post has me confused as it sounds like you have not seen the boat and don't know what it really needs at this time. Actually, where is the boat that you are going to sail to the Philippines for refit?

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH

Correct, I have not been to the boat in person. As it is in Micronesia. That is the problem, getting all my things to the boat from the US. There are things I know I will need for the upgrade and I wish to get them the best way possible. That is either buy them now or by them later and have them shipped as I need them. i would rather bring my own tools but I do not want to bring them if it is cheaper to just buy new ones over there.
Old 01-08-2021, 16:07   #12

Boat: Herreshoff 36 Nereia

"Johnnyair" or "Johnnyairplus" are a freight forwarder for US purchases. Google and look on their website for instructions.
Their freight costs are much less than a marine store.
They collect Philippines VAT (12% I think) but not the outrageous import duties!! I paid 48% on an autopilot using FedEx and dealing with customs myself!!

Power tools are easily available (cheap Chinese and branded) at large hardware stores in Cebu City and Manila. (Some brands available in smaller cities)

Good luck.

Paul
Paul Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 16:15   #13
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Correct, I have not been to the boat in person. As it is in Micronesia. That is the problem, getting all my things to the boat from the US. There are things I know I will need for the upgrade and I wish to get them the best way possible. That is either buy them now or by them later and have them shipped as I need them. i would rather bring my own tools but I do not want to bring them if it is cheaper to just buy new ones over there.
That is a big disadvantage, you would just be guessing. I would only take what I needed to get to the Philippines where the refit is to be done.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 16:19   #14

@ $7.00 per # that is very expensive. Might be OK for something small.
Old 01-08-2021, 16:26   #15

Yeah I think I am just going to sail the boat to the Philippines and try and find a boatyard to dry dock it. Do a bottom paint and figure it out from there. I'm definitely not spending thousands on shipping when I can just sail back to San Fransisco for free. Hopefully I can purchase most of what I need local. I mean they build yachts in Vietnam so it can't be that hard.

Tags
boat, purchase