Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 11:27   #16

I would not spray the entire inside of the tank. The only likely leak prone areas are where it has been welded. Is that where it's been leaking? Personally I would try flux and Silver solder. It comes ina little tube ready to use and just need a small torch. Other than that 5200 , jb weld or something like that will last a while... on the outside only though...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 21:34   #17

Tspringer, how did the Microseal work? Any tips you would care to share?
rbhb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 22:47   #18

Boat: Gulf 32-Aeolus
I've recently discovered the joys of Gflex and am now a believer. It bonds to everything and is flexible enough to be tough and not brittle. I just had to reattach a fiberglass sheet to my polyethylene holding tank and Gflex did it beautifully. Polyethylene is really hard to bond to. I also just bonded some stainless steel with it and it bonded so well that I could not lift an edge with a screwdriver trying my best. It it just that tenacious.

If it was my tank, I would clean, dry and prep the surface, throw some Gflex on it, and know it would be good to go. Super easy.

I also agree with the post that says don't worry about it, but then again, any leak of any size can just drive a sailor crazy. It's sort of the broken window effect. Let a small leak go, and then...

Good luck on the refit.
bwindrope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:13   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwindrope View Post
I've recently discovered the joys of Gflex and am now a believer. It bonds to everything and is flexible enough to be tough and not brittle. I just had to reattach a fiberglass sheet to my polyethylene holding tank and Gflex did it beautifully. Polyethylene is really hard to bond to...
G/flex is a newer epoxy introduced by WEST SYSTEM in 2007.
G/flex is a tough, resilient epoxy engineered for a superior grip to metals, plastics, glass, masonry, fiberglass, and wet and difficult-to bond woods.

“Gluing plastic with G/flex” chronicles test results on ABS, PVC, polyethylene and polycarbonate plastics:

Powered by Google Docs

http://westsystem.com/ss/gluing-plas...-g-flex-epoxy/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:48   #20

Available at The HomeDepot, Plumber's Goop. Attaches and cures to wet surfaces.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:02   #21

G-Flex

I agree that G-Glex is a terrific product. I talked to Gougeon about it a while back and they advised it would probably work with the provision that the interior surface be prepped by careful cleaning - and here is the clincher - they recommended that the surface be abraded after the mixture was applied but before it started to kick - to prevent oxygen from affecting the abraded surface (yes, even on stainless steel). The Microseal sounds like it would be an easier, more thorough application though.
rbhb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:35   #22

I did use the microseal and it appears to have worked well. I dried out the tank (this took a week or so) and then squirted the stuff in as per their instructions.

When I went back to using the tank, no leaks. That was a few months ago and still no leaks. Very easy to use.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:23   #23

Go with David M. Choose a liner.

Seahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2017, 15:16   #24

Boat: Leopard 43
Re: Water Tank Leak

How did the Microseal product work at sealing your water tank from the inside? I have a leaking tank and am trying to figure out how to repair it.
tedowens is offline   Reply With Quote