Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2023, 08:54   #1

Location: Soon sailing from New Orleans to Key West then Caribbean
Boat: Pacific Seacraft, Orion 27
Water based bottom paints

I am contemplating between Interlux fiberglass bottomkote agua waterbased with a 45 voc versus Petit Trinidad HD with 330 voc. for cruising the Caribbean. Would love to hear of any longer term experiences with agua or other low voc bottom paints. I prefer not to use the higher voc product but am concerned I just might need to bite the bullet on this one so experience based answers are super appreciated.
maury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 10:51   #2

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Water based bottom paints

We are in cooler N Pacific waters above 56°N with aggressive hard growth (mainly barnacles and mussels).

We have been using waterbased Pettit Hydrocoat ablative bottom paint (NOT the ECO version without copper...) since Apr-2017. Our next haulout was 4 years later in May 2021 (we needed an insurance survey...)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Haulout 4-May-2021 (4 years).jpg
Views:	63
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	270269

Click image for larger version

Name:	Haulout May-2021 (before cleaning).jpg
Views:	70
Size:	416.1 KB
ID:	270270

In these pre-pressure wash images, you can see the paint could have gone at least another year, but there was hard growth on some of the underwater metals (which represents about 13 months growth since the last time a diver cleaned the (zinc spray coated) UW metals and replaced the anodes. No diver hull cleaning. Ever.)

We have never had a diver clean the bottom since we started using Hydrocoat, but every year or two we do have a diver renew the anodes and remove any hard growth on underwater metals as needed.

Of course, since we were hauled out, we renewed the bottom paint in May 2021.

Our next planned haulout is at 5 years since the last; spring 2026.

Stay tuned...

YMMV.

Cheers, Bill

PS: Denali Rose is 50 ft. OAL. This is the smallest travel lift in the yard @ 150 tons...
Old 19-01-2023, 10:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
We are in cooler N Pacific waters above 56°N with aggressive hard growth (mainly barnacles and mussels).

We have been using waterbased Pettit Hydrocoat ablative bottom paint (NOT the ECO version without copper...) since Apr-2017. Our next haulout was 4 years later in May 2021 (we needed an insurance survey...)

Attachment 270269

Attachment 270270

In these pre-pressure wash images, you can see the paint could have gone at least another year, but there was hard growth on some of the underwater metals (which represents about 13 months growth since the last time a diver cleaned the (zinc spray coated) UW metals and replaced the anodes. No diver hull cleaning. Ever.)

We have never had a diver clean the bottom since we started using Hydrocoat, but every year or two we do have a diver renew the anodes and remove any hard growth on underwater metals as needed.

Of course, since we were hauled out, we renewed the bottom paint in May 2021.

Our next planned haulout is at 5 years since the last; spring 2026.

Stay tuned...

YMMV.

Cheers, Bill
Thanks for the excellent testimonial with photos. Amazing to see the difference on unpainted metals.
Old 19-01-2023, 18:51   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by maury View Post
Thanks for the excellent testimonial with photos. Amazing to see the difference on unpainted metals.
I mean no disrespect to mrwakefield but he's in Alaska. His experience with Pettit Hydrocoat could not possibly be less relevant to your situation.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2023, 19:09   #5

@fstbttms I did realize that thankyou and weigh the relevance according. Just hearing an experience about the product was apreciated.
Old 20-01-2023, 10:06   #6

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

In case you aren't familiar with Practical Sailor's regional bottom paint testing results, here is a representative article that may be useful. (Scroll to bottom to see extensive rating tables...)

Blurb from above article for 'Southeast' [contiguous 48 US states] region [Florida]:

Quote:
In the warmer waters of the Southeast, the more potent modified epoxy (hard) paints were predominant. The single most popular paint in this region was Pettits Trinidad, although Interluxs Micron paints (Micron 66, Micron CSC, and Micron Extra) combined for a higher number of followers. Pettits Ultima SR 60, a high-strength ablative, and Hydrocoat SR, a water-based paint that attracts do-it-yourselfers with its easy cleanup and no odor, were also top contenders. Other popular Interlux paints included value-priced Bottomkote NT. Sea Hawks Cukote also turned up good numbers on the survey.

I also remembered Jamestown Distributors conducted bottom paint surveys for a few years in a row, and found this recap article in case you are interested.

I couldn't find their live Google map, but I remember you could drill-in and read individual submissions, so asking them may prove useful.

I recall using a hard, high copper bottom paint (Trinidad?) when I spent 7 years in the S Pacific tropics decades ago on a different boat. Cleaning the bottom monthly was good exercise...

More FWIW info.

Cheers, Bill
Old 21-01-2023, 06:19   #7

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

I have used the Pettit Ultra SR 60 with great success in the warm waters of the Chesapeake and the Keys but alas it has been discontinued. Over the years since many of the "independent" comparisons have been made, the chemical makeup of the a number of the paints tested have changed or the paint itself has been discontinued. Unfortunately there are a number of replacement paints that are so new that comprehensive, long term comparisons are not available. I too would appreciate hearing about real time warm water experience with the newer paints ie. Pettit Odyssey Triton and others.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2023, 10:22   #8

Talking with Jamestown they say water based Agua for example is a 1 season paint. With ablative to get more years one needs to add more coats up front.Benefit of ablative is it can be taken out of the water. In the case of a harder paint they or someone said if it is removed from the water just give it a light sanding to activate fresh exposed surface when relaunching.

Tags
bottom paint, paint, water