Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-01-2012, 04:09   #271
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Washington State Copper Paint Law

hey what happened to the copper paint law issue, have we moved on and opened the thread to a general free for all?
Old 17-01-2012, 08:36   #272

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You are something like a 100 times more likely to die riding a motorcycle than in a car based on number of vehicles registered. If you look at annual miles driven, the chances of getting killed on a motorcycly vice riding in a car are truly astronomical. Where auto deaths are dropping, motorcycle deaths are trending up. At least they were till the recession hit. No matter how you slice it, motorcycles are dangerous in a crash with the only thing between you and reality being a little bit of leather, yours or your clothing and a helmet. With a car, you've got 3,000 plus pounds of structural material bwteen you and the outside world. Add airbags and seatbelts and the safety factor increases tremendously in favor of the automobile.

I've owned motorcycles, regularly ride a bicycle and they just aren't as safe as a car. Often not the fault of the rider but just the reality. Won't deny anyone's right to ride a motorcycle, just don't want to have to pay to maintain you in a vegetative state or lose your organs if you have a major/fatal head injury that a helmet could have prevented. I'm forced to wear a seatbelt in my car, see no reason you shouldn't wear a helmet on your bike.

FWIW, have broken two helmets in bicycle crashes, one on and one off road but didn't suffer any trauma. My brother in law caught his tire in a crack and vaulted the handle bars. Destroyed his helmet and put him in the hospital with cranial bleeding. Without the helmet he very well might have died. As it was, he's got three days he can't account for.
No one is arguing which is safer a car or a motorcycle. Paying for a motorcyclist in a vegitive state is a straw man. Most motorcycle accidents without helmets lead to death not to vegitive states.

I have a good friend who is in a vegitive state in a nursing home. He is listed by the NTSB in their statistics as a motorcycle accident. He had stopped beside the highway got off the bike and was helping a lady change a tire, when he was hit by a car.

The seat belt argument also does not work. You should have said I am required to wear my helmet in the car. Are there no head injuries from car crashes?

This is not about helmets or copper paints. This is about whether you want to live in a cradle to grave entitlement society with the nanny state regulating your every behavior or do you want to live in a free society? The the USA it is not to late. Look at the dates on these laws. These started in the 60's and 70's.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 13:59   #273
CLOD

Boat: none

But if you used some non-copper bottom paint on your motorcycle while riding with your helmet and seatbelt on .................... you would be invincible!
Old 17-01-2012, 14:04   #274

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
But if you used some non-copper bottom paint on your motorcycle while riding with your helmet and seatbelt on .................... you would be invincible!
I have not had a single road barnacle since I switched to copper tires
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint